2019 C63 front passenger tire temperature is higher

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,435 Posts
2019 C63CS
2019 C63 front passenger tire temperature is higher

Somebody on another thread suggested to create a separate thread for this. It seems to be normal that the front passenger tire is always 10-20F hotter than the front driver tire. I didn't think this would be much of a problem as sunlight hitting different tires can heat them up unevenly, too, but today I went to the Nürburgring and had to abort after only one lap, because the front passenger tire actually overheated and started to melt. After the lap the car rode bumpy like the tire had a bulge. Pulled over outside of the track and found some rocks and rubber chunks on it. After letting it cool down, I headed for my 2 hour drive back to Frankfurt and the tires were noisy and rough, but over the duration of the drive it pretty much wore all the melted chunks off. Not good, though. Granted it was in the 90s and the track surface temperature was at 140F, but this kinda sucks. I paid for two laps to get a feel for the car on the track, but could only do one. It was a messy day, though. They kept closing the track due to accidents and there was a bad accident between a motorcycle and a car on the road leading up to the track. Not a good day to be there, so I may go back tomorrow evening or Tuesday. Hopefully it's gonna be a little cooler and I'm gonna keep a close eye on the tire temperature. I only noticed that it overheated at the end of the lap.

On a more positive note, the car had some nice pops and bangs going in Race mode.

Pictures or it didn't happen

Last edited by superswiss; 06-02-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:21 PM

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe
Yesterday. On my 2019 C63S coupe I changed tires from stock to Michelin PS4S at Dealership. Drove about 25 miles home and parked inside garage. Many hours later I checked tire pressure via my iPhone. It showed front passenger 44 and front Driver 36. Concerned I went to garage and gauge showed both front tires were 36. ?
Old 06-02-2019, 10:33 PM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
Wow Swiss, those are HOT tire temps and very high pressures. I live in TX with similar air temps and my tires will peak around 110-120F, even after aggressive canyon drives.

The only time where I’ve seen an overheated tire was at the end of a hot day during AMG Academy on the E63S drag race & emergency stop exercise. Makes sense since the cars were being subject to launches and emergency stop maneuvers repeatedly through the whole day. No issues seen otherwise on any of the other cars running around COTA.

Are you on the stock PSS rubber? I know you adjusted the factory pressures also?

My tire temps also run hotter for the front passenger tire.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63S AMG Coupe - Designo Graphite Grey Magno
I have a MY19 C63S coupe on stock 19/20 PSS (F36psi, R34psi)

My front right tire also runs 10-15 degrees (20 degrees at worst) warmer than the front left tire. When I took my car in for the rear differential service, my SA told me that that difference was normal for the C63S; however, my tire temperatures have only reached mid 120s .

Curious to know if anyone has gotten an explanation for why this is normal on the W205 C63S. I was worried I had an alignment, break or bearing issue.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Xec
Wow Swiss, those are HOT tire temps and very high pressures. I live in TX with similar air temps and my tires will peak around 110-120F, even after aggressive canyon drives.

The only time where I’ve seen an overheated tire was at the end of a hot day during AMG Academy on the E63S drag race & emergency stop exercise. Makes sense since the cars were being subject to launches and emergency stop maneuvers repeatedly through the whole day. No issues seen otherwise on any of the other cars running around COTA.

Are you on the stock PSS rubber? I know you adjusted the factory pressures also?

My tire temps also run hotter for the front passenger tire.
Yeah, the Nurburgring is definitely tougher on tires and brakes compared to a canyon. Lots of turns. Yes, I'm still on the stock PSS and I had set the tire pressure to 44f/39r as per recommended pressure for speeds up to 180 mph. On public roads even after extended triple digit Autobahn speeds, I don't see the temps go much above 120F for the front passenger and the others around 110F, so that's in line with what you are seeing. I might try lowering the pressure as I don't hit those speeds on the track really, and it's been tough to get even close to 155 mph on the Autobahn these days with the traffic. People don't drive as fast anymore on the German Autobahn as they used to. It'd be interesting to know what pressure they are running on these cars at the AMG Academy. I may have to postpone further track activities until I have a chance to talk to an expert at the academy.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
C63S AMG
There is supposedly an auxiliary heaterunder the wing on the right side, i believe it is somewhere in the manual. Potentially the cause of the abhorrent reading always on that right side
Old 06-03-2019, 03:36 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe
You need to set cold pressures as they will rise with temperature during track use. That's why you're seeing such high temps, nothing systemic.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by playalistic
You need to set cold pressures as they will rise with temperature during track use. That's why you're seeing such high temps, nothing systemic.
Yes, well aware. I set cold pressures of course, and I'm aware that I should lower them some for the track due to the extra heat and corresponding increase in pressure. I just didn't expect it to shoot up that quickly after just my initial run that I didn't even take full bore. I was only gonna do a couple of laps to get a feel for the car on the track. Anyway, the car is currently in the shop getting the rear diff oil changed and the windshield washer fluid not working looked at. The tires look ok from visual inspection. Just a few chunks of rubber still on there that I picked up on the track and that haven't worn off yet. I'll lower the pressure tonight and might give it another go tomorrow evening.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C63S 2019
Same here, front right tyre always hotter than the rest, and that’s with driver side on the right here in Australia.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 AM

Received 181 Likes on 142 Posts
2017 C43
It’s probably because the amg disc brakes aren’t true directional rotors. I noticed that the directional orientation of the left and right discs are not the same. Left rotates correctly to dissipate heat, but the right does not. I wonder if the same goes for the carbon disc brakes.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by mo11
It’s probably because the amg disc brakes aren’t true directional rotors. I noticed that the directional orientation of the left and right discs are not the same. Left rotates correctly to dissipate heat, but the right does not. I wonder if the same goes for the carbon disc brakes.
You shouldn't see a difference in tire temperature in normal, everyday driving because of the the "universal" rotor that MB uses. There isn't enough heat generated during street driving to cause a noticeable difference.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Ok, it looks like this was a false alarm. It appears what happened was that the tire got heat soaked after parking the car at the end of the lap. I went back today for a few more laps, but I lowered my tire pressure and everything was fine on the track. I parked after each lap to let things cool down and while the car was parked the tire temperature rose again to red levels, but this time I paid attention to the temperatures while on the track and they quickly came down once the car was moving and air was cooling everything. So, looks like there is no issue really. It felt a lot better today with the lower pressures, though. I took it down to 33f/32r. The car rides overall much better at this pressure and the few times I can actually get it above 155 mph are short lived anyway, so no need to run at higher pressures.
The following users liked this post:
NYCSoiL (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 03:51 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by superswiss
Ok, it looks like this was a false alarm. It appears what happened was that the tire got heat soaked after parking the car at the end of the lap. I went back today for a few more laps, but I lowered my tire pressure and everything was fine on the track. I parked after each lap to let things cool down and while the car was parked the tire temperature rose again to red levels, but this time I paid attention to the temperatures while on the track and they quickly came down once the car was moving and air was cooling everything. So, looks like there is no issue really. It felt a lot better today with the lower pressures, though. I took it down to 33f/32r. The car rides overall much better at this pressure and the few times I can actually get it above 155 mph are short lived anyway, so no need to run at higher pressures.

The only real need to increase tire pressures for high speed driving is to help prevent excessive tire deflection due to the increased speeds.

With each revolution of the tire, you are loading/deflecting each part of the tire to create the contact patch and the unloading/releasing the tire as it goes back around. With the increase in vehicle speed, you increase the tire's angular velocity (RPM). This means the tire deflects more frequently. The higher rate of deflection causes increased stress on the tire. You can't really change this frequency of this deflection; it's fixed based on tire size and speed. The reason for increasing the tire pressure is the minimize the amount of deflection. If you are running a higher pressure, the tire will not deflect as much, decreasing the stress on the tire. The higher pressure is basically preventing the tire from bending as much to offset the higher number of bends.

If you are running on the Autobahn for long distances at higher speeds, you absolutely want to take this all into account to set your tire pressures properly. If you are doing short burst of higher speed, you really don't need to worry about it all that much.

As for driving on the Nurburgring, you want to set your tires to pressures that create the best contact patch for cornering and braking, and those should be significantly lower than the high-speed pressures you initially ran. A difference of 1-2 psi can make a huge difference in handling. The 33/32 split might be a little on the low end (from personal experience), but it'll still be much, much better than the 44/39 you originally had.
superswiss (06-06-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:14 AM

C63S 2019
This is after a normal 30-40 minute drive home from work. Any ideas? Hotter front right/driver side.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Al718
This is after a normal 30-40 minute drive home from work. Any ideas? Hotter front right/driver side.

Yes that's what we are all seeing on our cars. So far it appears to be normal.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:46 AM

C63S 2019
Anyone know if this was normal with the pre-facelift model as well?
Old 06-11-2019, 03:33 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Is this even safe when tracking the car even? Considering cornering and grip in hot versus cold track days?
Old 06-11-2019, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Ben Khoshabeh
Is this even safe when tracking the car even? Considering cornering and grip in hot versus cold track days?
Turns out it's fine. As I posted above, what I thought was an overheating tire turned out to be just heat soaking after the initial lap. On my subsequent visit everything was fine. While on the track there is no overheating. There seems to be enough cooling. Same when doing really high speeds on the Autobahn. The tires do heat up significantly with speeds above 155 mph and the right front tire is always hotter than the left, but it never overheats. A few miles at slower speeds and the temperatures come back down.
B3NS_C63s_AMG (06-11-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 02:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C63S Sedan
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm also experiencing this with my tires, with the right front tire being hotter than the left front.

How do you guys fill up your tires to account for the temperature difference? Or do you just fill up after a few hours of cool down?

Have noticed that the back left also heats up faster than the back right, so it's a bit odd with front right and back left being warmer than the front left and back right
Old 09-16-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 AMG C63s coupe
I had my car on track at VIR in August and the right front tire temp got to 175 and at that temp the check engine light came one.

During normal daily driving it still runs 15 degrees warmer.

My dealer tells me there is an oil cooler or other device in the right front that dumps hot air into or around the right front wheel well.

I don't like this cuz i'm going back to the track but will just have to deal with it by filling with nitrogen to keep the pressure fluctuations low as temp rises.

Getting Sport Cup 2s for track in November will see how they do.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 AMG C63s coupe
Your dealer can replace the air with nitrogen and this lessens the changes in pressures as temps fluctuate
Old 01-02-2020, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Corvette
I took my 2020 C63S into the dealer today to find out why the right front passenger tire was running 15-20 degrees hotter than the left. Right now the vehicle has only about 600 miles on it and I was concerned something was wrong......I had not seen this thread yet. They replaced the pressure/temperature sensor and found the same results.....right front still running hotter. The technician could not find anything else wrong knowing that changing the sensor didn't change the readings after a short drive. He did a search of some database that he had access to and found what he thought could be the answer. He told me the exhaust downpipe on the passenger side takes a slightly different path down from the turbo's and therefore comes closer to the right front tire than the left front. He said he could see this with all the "plastic" off the bottom of the engine compartment; but when I picked up the car it was already put together so he couldn't show me. When home I looked down on both sides with a good light and can see it's possible the downpipe on the passenger side does indeed come slightly closer to the shielding. However without looking from the bottom as he did, I cannot absolutely tell this is true. I will say that since this apparently is a common probably that others have seen, the downpipe proximity to the right front tire may be what is causing the temperature to run hotter than the left front.

As mentioned I can't say for sure this is the cause, but it does make sense if indeed the exhaust downpipe runs closer to the right wheel vs the left. There may be some of you that have been able to view the underside of the C63's engine and can provide an opinion.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Bad design! I'm assuming engineers one more time failed to catch this design flaw. Wonder what happens in worst host track conditions? I'm sure it affects the grip and cornering at some point!
Old 01-02-2020, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by B3NS_C63s_AMG
Bad design! I'm assuming engineers one more time failed to catch this design flaw. Wonder what happens in worst host track conditions? I'm sure it affects the grip and cornering at some point!
It's actually not an issue. Once you have plenty of air going in, it cools down and stabilizes. This is mostly an issue at slower speeds and you get some heat soaking in that area if you park the car hot, but once you are back out and air is flowing it cools down quickly again.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG G63, 2020 AMG C63s Coupe
What tire pressures you guys running? I have Cup 2s with my C63s. Currently trying 36/33 when tires are cold.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2019 C63 front passenger tire temperature is higher