MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   What did you do when you hit 1K? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/750028-what-did-you-do-when-you-hit-1k.html)

FearlessFarris 07-10-2019 10:24 AM

What did you do when you hit 1K?

I've got about 140 miles left to go until I hit the magical 1,000 mile mark on my 2019 C63s. So far, I've been very good about keeping her in comfort mode and under 85 mph and under 45K rpm. Frankly, even within these limits, the car has still been a blast to drive and offered plenty of power (for reference my last car was a 2014 CLA 45).

What did you do when you hit the magic 1000 mile mark? Try out launch control? Go immediately to race mode? Increase your engine load gently and gradually for the next 200 miles?

Looking forward to hearing your experiences and maybe taking some suggestions.

markjord 07-10-2019 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by FearlessFarris (Post 7799326)
I've got about 140 miles left to go until I hit the magical 1,000 mile mark on my 2019 C63s. So far, I've been very good about keeping her in comfort mode and under 85 mph and under 45K rpm. Frankly, even within these limits, the car has still been a blast to drive and offered plenty of power (for reference my last car was a 2014 CLA 45).

What did you do when you hit the magic 1000 mile mark? Try out launch control? Go immediately to race mode? Increase your engine load gently and gradually for the next 200 miles?

Looking forward to hearing your experiences and maybe taking some suggestions.

I have 180 miles to go then heading off on holiday at the weekend (about 1,000 mile trip). Mine’s a 2019S Cabrio. I’m pretty sure I’ll be doing launch mode on my trip. I’ve been patient but now raring to go!

Mojo31 07-10-2019 11:38 AM

I get the whole notion of not running the engine really high and breaking it in over time, but I don't get why it has to be in "comfort" mode all the time. If you keep the revs below 4500 rpm and the speed below 85 mph and avoid steady/constant speeds, what difference does it make if you run it in comfort or sport. And, is there any reason not to adjust the suspension to suit in that first 1,000 miles?

superswiss 07-10-2019 11:47 AM

The main reason to keep it on C, is because other modes could shift in a manner that pushes the rpm above 4500. Yes, you can put the suspension etc. in other modes. I drove around in C with the exhaust open and played with the suspension. No issues. As for the original question, I mainly avoided steady speeds during the first 1000 miles. After picking up the car in Sindelfingen, Germany I headed to Switzerland to visit my folks and avoided the Autobahn for the entire journey. Took 6 hours instead of 3 hours, but it was a very nice drive through the countryside and came up on some nice roads to push it slightly even in C. As OP said, this car wants to play even in C. I was still in Switzerland when I hit the 1000 miles after about a week of driving and I just gradually started to push it. In Switzerland the speed limits are strict and the fines are expensive, but I started to take it on some alpine roads and continued pushing it. A week later I went back to Germany and hit top speed on the Autobahn and the rest is history as they say :zoom:. I actually have not tried race start in the entire 2 months I was there. 0-60 drag race is not my cup of tea. I'll try it at least once, though, when I'm reunited with the car.

AlexZTuned 07-10-2019 12:18 PM

Mojo31 07-10-2019 12:20 PM

I've done the launch control/race start in both my RS5 and Porsches. It's fun as a novelty.

msd3075 07-10-2019 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 7799412)
The main reason to keep it on C, is because other modes could shift in a manner that pushes the rpm above 4500. Yes, you can put the suspension etc. in other modes. I drove around in C with the exhaust open and played with the suspension. No issues. As for the original question, I mainly avoided steady speeds during the first 1000 miles. After picking up the car in Sindelfingen, Germany I headed to Switzerland to visit my folks and avoided the Autobahn for the entire journey. Took 6 hours instead of 3 hours, but it was a very nice drive through the countryside and came up on some nice roads to push it slightly even in C. As OP said, this car wants to play even in C. I was still in Switzerland when I hit the 1000 miles after about a week of driving and I just gradually started to push it. In Switzerland the speed limits are strict and the fines are expensive, but I started to take it on some alpine roads and continued pushing it. A week later I went back to Germany and hit top speed on the Autobahn and the rest is history as they say :zoom:. I actually have not tried race start in the entire 2 months I was there. 0-60 drag race is not my cup of tea. I'll try it at least once, though, when I'm reunited with the car.

That is one reason for keeping it in Comfort mode during break-in.

The other is that the 1K mile break-in is for the entire powertrain, not just the engine. Leaving it in Comfort mode makes sure the car is using longer shift speeds and lower shift points, both things that reduce stress on the transmission in particular as well as the entire drivetrain..

fjp63amg 07-10-2019 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 7799412)

When you tried top speed, did you increase tire pressure?

superswiss 07-10-2019 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by fjp63amg (Post 7799631)
When you tried top speed, did you increase tire pressure?

Yes, and it gets quite harsh with the higher pressures. I later lowered them back down, because it was quite difficult with the traffic to get above 250 kph on a regular basis. It was really only possible to do short stints at those higher speeds, so I wasn't worried about lowering the tire pressure and taking it to or close to top speed for short periods. I also kept the tire pressure/temperature display up, and I could definitely see the temps rising above 250 kph, but then cooled down again at lower speeds even if I was going over 200 kph. Most of the time, the traffic didn't really allow to get above 225-240 very much and at closer to top speed it takes a lot of concentration as the car gets somewhat nervous depending on how smooth the road was. I altered the suspension between C and S+ as well depending on the road. Huge difference in how it turns in at those speeds with the suspension in S+ vs C. Also pretty much kept AMG DYNAMICS in Pro, but I was pretty impressed at how this car travels in relative comfort up to speeds of I would say 240/250 kph. Above that it gets a bit nerve wracking.

cec69 07-10-2019 05:57 PM

I used all driving modes as slow speeds from the first ride home from the dealership, careful to not go beyond 4500 rpm. Once 1000 miles rolled around, I pushed it hard, but not to redline. Over the next 500 miles I pushed it harder and at 1500 miles I proceeded to pound the crap out of it. Nothing really brutal, only a couple of standstill to high speed runs, but a lot of letting folks know they were just passed. The car likes to go.

W213e63s 07-10-2019 10:50 PM

Z

Originally Posted by cec69 (Post 7799838)
I used all driving modes as slow speeds from the first ride home from the dealership, careful to not go beyond 4500 rpm. Once 1000 miles rolled around, I pushed it hard, but not to redline. Over the next 500 miles I pushed it harder and at 1500 miles I proceeded to pound the crap out of it. Nothing really brutal, only a couple of standstill to high speed runs, but a lot of letting folks know they were just passed. The car likes to go.

Precisely! Did the same, although I don’t think I really gave a **** anymore once I hit 1k. Now, 7k miles, Velos tuned with catted downpipes.

Vader-C63sE1 07-11-2019 01:58 AM

After I got my diff fluid changed I drive it like I stole it!

KingMonkeyJr 07-11-2019 09:43 AM

Break in is a hoax. I was tuned at 500 miles hitting quarter mile drags and upgraded turbos at 1500 miles. It is just a car no need to baby the damn thing get everything sealed nicely by pushing it hard