MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   Sport + steering (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/750174-sport-steering.html)

Defiant81 07-11-2019 05:06 PM

Sport + steering

Is the steering wheel supposed to get significantly tighter and harder to move in sport plus vs comfort. The suspension for sure gets harder but I'm not noticing any difference with the steering

Thanks

superswiss 07-11-2019 06:07 PM

What model year? In my experience, no it doesn't get much tighter or any tighter for that matter. In my 2019 the turn in gets sharper, but the way it works in the 2019 has changed. The steering is now rolled under the new AMG DYNAMICS setting which controls the overall chassis dynamics. It affects the steering, torque vectoring, rear differential and suspension. As far as I can tell, the steering effort is about the same in C vs S+, but in C, there's somewhat of a dead spot at center that helps the car track straight on the highway. Minor steering inputs will not deviate the car from its straight line, whereas in S+ the turn in is much more immediate and the car rotates more. I'm actually not a fan of the steering getting heavier in the more sporty modes. I think that's a false sense of sportiness. The way it's done in the C63 makes a lot more sense. I expect the steering to be more dynamic in S+ than C and that's what it actually seem to do, instead of just getting heavier like other brands do.

NYCSoiL 07-11-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 7800865)
What model year? In my experience, no it doesn't get much tighter or any tighter for that matter. In my 2019 the turn in gets sharper, but the way it works in the 2019 has changed. The steering is now rolled under the new AMG DYNAMICS setting which controls the overall chassis dynamics. It affects the steering, torque vectoring, rear differential and suspension. As far as I can tell, the steering effort is about the same in C vs S+, but in C, there's somewhat of a dead spot at center that helps the car track straight on the highway. Minor steering inputs will not deviate the car from its straight line, whereas in S+ the turn in is much more immediate and the car rotates more. I'm actually not a fan of the steering getting heavier in the more sporty modes. I think that's a false sense of sportiness. The way it's done in the C63 makes a lot more sense. I expect the steering to be more dynamic in S+ than C and that's what it actually seem to do, instead of just getting heavier like other brands do.

Hm, that's actually interesting. A own the car for 3 month and drove it for 3 weeks only so far, but I noticed that the steering wheel in Sport+ is almost the same as in Comfort mode. Need to play more with AMG Dynamics settings than..

Defiant81 07-11-2019 07:09 PM

Thanks for the response and it's a 19 s. I'm surprised how much play is in the steering wheel. But then again I do have this odd knocking sound when going over bumps and if I shake the steering wheel from side to side.

With the car is sport plus with includes all of its presets I notice nothing different in the steering.

superswiss 07-11-2019 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by NYCSoiL (Post 7800891)
Hm, that's actually interesting. A own the car for 3 month and drove it for 3 weeks only so far, but I noticed that the steering wheel in Sport+ is almost the same as in Comfort mode. Need to play more with AMG Dynamics settings than..

It took me a while, but I mostly noticed the difference at high speeds. Going at 140+ mph on the Autobahn in C was almost scary due to a somewhat delayed turn in when coming up on a bend. I found S+ to be a bit too aggressive on the other hand for the Autobahn, so I ended up setting up I* with the drivetrain in Sport, suspension in Comfort and AMG DYNAMICS in Pro and exhaust fully open. Those were my high speed Autobahn settings and then if the pavement was smooth enough or I was going really fast I put the suspension in S+, which made a noticeable difference in the bends, but obviously made the ride harsher. I also noticed the difference busting up a curvy mountain road. In S+ the car sat very differently on the road and the steering was very sharp compared to C. The modes are actually quite interesting. I noticed that each mode adapts somewhat to how you drive. If you just doodle around, there isn't much difference between C and S+. Even the suspension doesn't get particularly firmer. The first time I put the suspension in S+ I was going something like 40 mph, and I could barely detect a difference. I was somewhat disappointed, but then I started to push the car around bends etc. and the difference became quite apparent. I actually like what they've done quite a lot. On other cars I've driven, putting it in full attack mode makes the car harsh even when driving slowly. I find this unnecessary. The modes in this car seem to adapt to the current driving and S+/Race really only starts to shine if you start hammering on the car.