C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front passenger tire temperature. is this normal?

Old 08-06-2020, 10:20 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe , 2014 BMW M5
front passenger tire temperature. is this normal?

is this normal? my front passenger tire temp is much higher than all other tires. so much so that i have had to take air out of the tire to try and balance all 4. the other day in normal nyc driving (it was very hot- 95+ degrees out) the tire gave me a warning that it was too hot. any idea what can be causing this? it’s very annoying.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 306 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
The lower tire pressure will generate more heat , but depending on how you were driving.
I have seen some instances of engine heat, effecting the tire pressure, but I personally am not aware of anything.

fill your tires when your car has sat all night/day and is cold , and use the lowest setting, as when you drive the air temp increases, thus increasing pressure.

or use Nitrogen
Old 08-06-2020, 12:39 PM

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe, 2021 Bmw X5M Competition
My front passenger tire is always reading higher but never this high during normal driving.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,433 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, this is normal. Do not lower the tire pressure to try to make them equal. In your picture, your front right is underinflated now. Adjust your tire pressures with a gauge when they are cold and leave it there. There are some external heat sources from the engine bay closer to the passenger side than the driver side. Somebody said the exhaust manifold runs closer to the passenger side wheel than it does to the driver side wheel. So especially if you are sitting in traffic you gonna get heat soak in that area. Remember, the sensors measure the internal air temperature and not the tread temperature, specifically the air that's closest to the wheel not the tire tread and it gets heat from the brakes, exhaust and engine. Once you are moving and get some proper airflow it balances out, although the passenger side is always generally a bit higher then the driver side.

It can be a bit worrying at first, but you can ignore it. When I hit up the canyons on a hot day the passenger tire goes into the red and is eventually followed by the driver side tire. It goes red at 170F if I remember correctly. That's nothing for a performance tire, if the tread is even that hot. A lot of the heat actually comes from the brakes and once I hit up some fast longer sweeps that require less braking, the temps start dropping and go back into orange or even white.
The following users liked this post:
drjohn08318 (08-07-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 02:28 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe , 2014 BMW M5
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, this is normal. Do not lower the tire pressure to try to make them equal. In your picture, your front right is underinflated now. Adjust your tire pressures with a gauge when they are cold and leave it there. There are some external heat sources from the engine bay closer to the passenger side than the driver side. Somebody said the exhaust manifold runs closer to the passenger side wheel than it does to the driver side wheel. So especially if you are sitting in traffic you gonna get heat soak in that area. Remember, the sensors measure the internal air temperature and not the tread temperature, specifically the air that's closest to the wheel not the tire tread and it gets heat from the brakes, exhaust and engine. Once you are moving and get some proper airflow it balances out, although the passenger side is always generally a bit higher then the driver side.

It can be a bit worrying at first, but you can ignore it. When I hit up the canyons on a hot day the passenger tire goes into the red and is eventually followed by the driver side tire. It goes red at 170F if I remember correctly. That's nothing for a performance tire, if the tread is even that hot. A lot of the heat actually comes from the brakes and once I hit up some fast longer sweeps that require less braking, the temps start dropping and go back into orange or even white.

thanks, Swiss!

What do you run your tire pressure at for front and rear when cold?
Old 08-06-2020, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Stevestil
thanks, Swiss!

What do you run your tire pressure at for front and rear when cold?
33f/32r as is the recommended normal load tire pressure for the 19/20 tires and speeds up to 155 mph. Can be found on the sticker inside of the fuel door.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:50 PM

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts
amg C63s
Are you inflating your tires with nitrogen? More temperature stability.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by mstraka
Are you inflating your tires with nitrogen? More temperature stability.
Are you asking me? No, I'm not. That's a myth. Nitrogen expands and contracts at about the same rate as air. Air is 78% nitrogen and replacing the remaining 22% also with nitrogen makes effectively no useful difference in the real world. The reason nitrogen is used in race cars for example is because nitrogen is an inert gas, meaning it doesn't absorb moisture and the expansion is therefore more predictable. The problem with normal air is that it absorbs moisture and you have essentially no way to control the moisture content in the tires and the rate at which air expands on top of nitrogen depends on the moisture content, because water turns into steam and causes extra pressure. The dryer the air, the more predictable the rate of expansion is and I live in an arid climate to begin with. But in the real world it's pretty much pointless. For race drivers, though, they need to able to calculate the exact tire pressure at a specific temperature so they can dial in the pressure exactly. For street cars there is effectively no significant measurable difference between air and pure nitrogen and the kinds of tire temperatures one achieves, even when flying through the canyons.
The following users liked this post:
FLC63s (08-07-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 10:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
C63S
Yes, front right wheel getting hotter is normal. I managed to get mine up to 105 degrees (220F) the other week...
Old 08-07-2020, 08:50 AM

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts
amg C63s
Are you asking me? No, I'm not. That's a myth. Nitrogen expands and contracts at about the same rate as air. Air is 78% nitrogen and replacing the remaining 22% also with nitrogen makes effectively no useful difference in the real world. The reason nitrogen is used in race cars for example is because nitrogen is an inert gas, meaning it doesn't absorb moisture and the expansion is therefore more predictable. The problem with normal air is that it absorbs moisture and you have essentially no way to control the moisture content in the tires and the rate at which air expands on top of nitrogen depends on the moisture content, because water turns into steam and causes extra pressure. The dryer the air, the more predictable the rate of expansion is and I live in an arid climate to begin with. But in the real world it's pretty much pointless. For race drivers, though, they need to able to calculate the exact tire pressure at a specific temperature so they can dial in the pressure exactly. For street cars there is effectively no significant measurable difference between air and pure nitrogen and the kinds of tire temperatures one achieves, even when flying through the canyons.
New Orleans is not the real world considering humidity/temperature. 80-95% humidity for weeks and temps 95-100F. Heat factor sometimes up to 120F because of the humidity. Under these conditions you're putting a lot of water vapor in the tires when inflating with air.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:29 AM

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 Cabriolet, 2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
Originally Posted by mstraka
New Orleans is not the real world considering humidity/temperature. 80-95% humidity for weeks and temps 95-100F. Heat factor sometimes up to 120F because of the humidity. Under these conditions you're putting a lot of water vapor in the tires when inflating with air.
Road car tires don’t get anywhere near the temperatures that a race car tire does. The only thing inflating your tires with nitrogen does is part you from your money.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:49 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 CLS 400 4Matic

i have a 2016 CLS and have never seen the temp read-out on my tires—only the PSI. This is a pretty cool feature, but would likely keep driving me insane with worry. Which Benz do you have?

Last edited by drjohn08318; 08-07-2020 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Fixed typos
Old 08-07-2020, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by SDRider
Road car tires don’t get anywhere near the temperatures that a race car tire does. The only thing inflating your tires with nitrogen does is part you from your money.
+1....The boiling point of water is 212F at sea level. Increases under pressure, so in the tire it's higher than that. As hard as I drive in the canyons, I've never gotten my internal tire temp even above 200F. The moisture is a non-issue at road tire temps.

Originally Posted by drjohn08318
i have a 2016 CLS and have never seen the temp read-out on my tires—only the PSI. This is a pretty cool feature, but would likely keep driving me insane with worry. Which Benz do you have?
2019 C63S. Not sure if regular Benz show the temps or only AMGs.