Notices

Recommend a decent detailer for San Jose/Santa Clara NorCal please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 06:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04' CLK, 09 997.2 GTS, 22 992 C4S
Recommend a decent detailer for San Jose/Santa Clara NorCal please

My brother is giving his 2010 E350 sedan to my old father to enjoy in his remaining golden years:

The car needs a good detail wash/wax with some minor paint corrections along with interior carpet and trim cleaning. - can someone familiar with a nice service shop for this provide some receommendations who's the best down here with reasonable prices? Just want to make it presentable for my dad, nothing concours like work on an exotic etc..

Much appreciate it any recommendations you might have first hand experience with, thank you.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E63 Funwagon
Kind of a late reply but i am a new member, so apologies.
If you are still looking i have used AJ's three times in the past, and my friend has gone there twice.

While expensive, they do great work.
  • 702 Coleman Ave
    San Jose, CA 95110
  • (408) 947-1111
The following users liked this post:
Hk91308 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by skark_burmer
Kind of a late reply but i am a new member, so apologies.
If you are still looking i have used AJ's three times in the past, and my friend has gone there twice.

While expensive, they do great work.
  • 702 Coleman Ave
    San Jose, CA 95110
  • (408) 947-1111
Thanks so much skark- I have a couple of other vehicles due for detailing. And this is great as I've heard about them from other car groups as well.

Could you please pm me the type of detail job, type of cars, and costs from your experiences for me to have a better idea of their work and price points.

Appreciate you posting , thank you.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:02 PM

2012 E63 Funwagon
Im a big fan of open discussion, so i dont mind posting price info on an open forum. Might be of interest to others.

6 months ago;
I have a Dodge 3500 SRW MegaCab Longbed that got a good covering of overspray from a condo construction crew. Front to back, top to bottom was covered in tiny droplets of housepaint. On the paint, the glass, the trim, the door handles, the windshield wipers, the grille vents, the lights, the rims... everywhere. the overspray had about a week to harden before i got back from vacation and noticed it.
I tried taking it to the local car wash. No effect.
I blasted it point blank with my pressure washer. No effect.
At that point i decided it needed the nuclear option and got on the phone with KB homes to let them know they would be paying for it.
AJ charged $799 to do a full hand clay bar on all painted surfaces, 2x buff and wax job and full detail inside and out.
They said "no guarantees on the trim, rims, rubber and plastic, but we will give it out best shot". The only place there is any overspray left on the truck is on the Line-X bed liner.
they did a great job, just at $800 im glad it wasnt my credit card.

1 year ago;
I have a 2012 VW Sportwagen with 90k miles i let a friend borrow while they were in town. Up to this point i have never washed the car. Yes, i am being serious.
After a few road trips they went on it was pretty haggard looking, being parked outside its entire life didnt help. And my washing regimen certainly played a part.
$399 was the charge to do a full clay, buffing, wax, and detail. Same job as my truck, just a lot smaller. ha ha ha. The car looked better than it did brand new. Headlight glaze was gone, paint was better than factory fresh. I swear it even drove better. That same week i even got a raise at work. I'll let you draw your own conclusions...

About a year ago;
I borrowed a friends BMW 3 series for a couple days. Before i returned it i paid $180 for a wax and detail. When i got the car back it was spotless inside and out. the paint had some oxidation and rough finish from years of bay area weather that the wax job didnt remove (nor did i expect it to) but otherwise it was the same attention to detail as when you go full out and get the clay bar treatment. Just without the smoothing a clay treatment will afford.

If you stop by with your car they will check it out and let you know on the spot what they can do, cant do, and how much it will cost.
At their price point its hard to justify going all that often, but when you want a nice detail job and 1 day turn around, i haven't found anything better.

Also of note, i prefer to do all my own detailing (on cars i care about lol) and normally take a weekend plus a day to detail one of my cars.
Their job is almost the same level of detail, and ready for pick up on my way home from work. And my back doesn't ache afterwards.

just my wallet.
The following users liked this post:
Hk91308 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 12:01 AM

Im a big fan of open discussion, so i dont mind posting price info on an open forum. Might be of interest to others.

6 months ago;
I have a Dodge 3500 SRW MegaCab Longbed that got a good covering of overspray from a condo construction crew. Front to back, top to bottom was covered in tiny droplets of housepaint. On the paint, the glass, the trim, the door handles, the windshield wipers, the grille vents, the lights, the rims... everywhere. the overspray had about a week to harden before i got back from vacation and noticed it.
I tried taking it to the local car wash. No effect.
I blasted it point blank with my pressure washer. No effect.
At that point i decided it needed the nuclear option and got on the phone with KB homes to let them know they would be paying for it.
AJ charged $799 to do a full hand clay bar on all painted surfaces, 2x buff and wax job and full detail inside and out.
They said "no guarantees on the trim, rims, rubber and plastic, but we will give it out best shot". The only place there is any overspray left on the truck is on the Line-X bed liner.
they did a great job, just at $800 im glad it wasnt my credit card.

1 year ago;
I have a 2012 VW Sportwagen with 90k miles i let a friend borrow while they were in town. Up to this point i have never washed the car. Yes, i am being serious.
After a few road trips they went on it was pretty haggard looking, being parked outside its entire life didnt help. And my washing regimen certainly played a part.
$399 was the charge to do a full clay, buffing, wax, and detail. Same job as my truck, just a lot smaller. ha ha ha. The car looked better than it did brand new. Headlight glaze was gone, paint was better than factory fresh. I swear it even drove better. That same week i even got a raise at work. I'll let you draw your own conclusions...

About a year ago;
I borrowed a friends BMW 3 series for a couple days. Before i returned it i paid $180 for a wax and detail. When i got the car back it was spotless inside and out. the paint had some oxidation and rough finish from years of bay area weather that the wax job didnt remove (nor did i expect it to) but otherwise it was the same attention to detail as when you go full out and get the clay bar treatment. Just without the smoothing a clay treatment will afford.

If you stop by with your car they will check it out and let you know on the spot what they can do, cant do, and how much it will cost.
At their price point its hard to justify going all that often, but when you want a nice detail job and 1 day turn around, i haven't found anything better.

Also of note, i prefer to do all my own detailing (on cars i care about lol) and normally take a weekend plus a day to detail one of my cars.
Their job is almost the same level of detail, and ready for pick up on my way home from work. And my back doesn't ache afterwards.

just my wallet.
Thanks very much for sharing these 3 very great experiences, glad to hear KB Homes took care of the problem they caused as well.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:13 AM

2012 E63 Funwagon
Kinda.
KB called up the painting contractor. He showed up and with a straight face tried to tell me and the KB general manager it was the result of driving behind a truck leaking paint on the highway. the KB guy started nodding his head "oh yeah, you can see that is what happened". I used some good ol fashioned common sense to sway them.
He then tried to tell me my time-line was wrong. After that failed he tried to tell me that it was the wrong color. The whole time the KB guy is all agreement with the painters nonsensical argument.
I pulled my truck to the other side of the street where it was parked and you could see the outline of overspray on the blacktop in the perfect shape and size of my truck.

After that he finally decided to cover the the detail "up to $100".
After i got the estimate for $800 he said "im not paying to re-paint your truck"

Eventually he decided it was in his best interest to fix the issue and move on. the KB guy made a comment how 'lucky i was to get a free detail'.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:28 AM

Kinda.
KB called up the painting contractor. He showed up and with a straight face tried to tell me and the KB general manager it was the result of driving behind a truck leaking paint on the highway. the KB guy started nodding his head "oh yeah, you can see that is what happened". I used some good ol fashioned common sense to sway them.
He then tried to tell me my time-line was wrong. After that failed he tried to tell me that it was the wrong color. The whole time the KB guy is all agreement with the painters nonsensical argument.
I pulled my truck to the other side of the street where it was parked and you could see the outline of overspray on the blacktop in the perfect shape and size of my truck.

After that he finally decided to cover the the detail "up to $100".
After i got the estimate for $800 he said "im not paying to re-paint your truck"

Eventually he decided it was in his best interest to fix the issue and move on. the KB guy made a comment how 'lucky i was to get a free detail'.
What jerks, good for you that you stood your ground and also didn't just cave for their $100 detail offer, that's such an insult to fix the damage done. You should have told the KB guy 'he's lucky you didn't take them to court and that they were lucky to only be out $800'.

Nice job