MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CL-Class (W215) (https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w215-6/)
-   -   cl500 double glazing (https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w215/217464-cl500-double-glazing.html)

shanusanus 11-08-2007 07:29 AM

cl500 double glazing

SO - get me Cl500 delivered - annoyingly loads of stuff that needs sorting! One thing in particular - all 4 side windows that are double glazed. There seemed to be some sort of gell stuff on all of the 4 side windows - took it to my local dealer and they say thats the 2 glasses on each one splitting - what im seeing is water making inbetween the glasses.

So is thsi common on a CL? Im still waitig to see if the selling dealership will pay for the glass to be changed!! SO annoying

So far the car has these problems:
Comand unit wont read CD's
Heated Seats dont work on both sides
Memory \ seat buttons trim (wood bit) on each side is practically falling off\loose
rear brake light on lid cracked
they changed the front pads but left the discs which are totally shot
no mats

they offer me my money back OR:confused: to fix the trim - thats it so far. Warrenty wont pick up the bill because the selling dealership should have sorted all this before it left them.

What would YOU do?

beacham 11-08-2007 09:59 AM

hi mate, i think this is common i also have this on 3 of my side windows, i have tried a goodwill repair but no joy! they are very expensive to replace in the UK been quoted £500 for drivers door & £400 rear quarter, been trying to find a breaker but no luck so far, if you no of any let me know. as for the wood trim bits for the seats i also had this, i found there wer 2 plastic clips on the bottom of trim wer broken i just glued it back on now they are a good fit1

User110 11-08-2007 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by shanusanus (Post 2493203)
SO - get me Cl500 delivered - annoyingly loads of stuff that needs sorting! One thing in particular - all 4 side windows that are double glazed. There seemed to be some sort of gell stuff on all of the 4 side windows - took it to my local dealer and they say thats the 2 glasses on each one splitting - what im seeing is water making inbetween the glasses.

So is thsi common on a CL? Im still waitig to see if the selling dealership will pay for the glass to be changed!! SO annoying

So far the car has these problems:
Comand unit wont read CD's
Heated Seats dont work on both sides
Memory \ seat buttons trim (wood bit) on each side is practically falling off\loose
rear brake light on lid cracked
they changed the front pads but left the discs which are totally shot
no mats

they offer me my money back OR:confused: to fix the trim - thats it so far. Warrenty wont pick up the bill because the selling dealership should have sorted all this before it left them.

What would YOU do?

That double pain glass, yea, same prob here, i got lil bubbles all around teh driver side. hope it wont mess up on me and fall apart.

the Command, better get that checked out properly, expensive to fix, make them take care of it.

and the seats, that should be covered under warranty , but the door part aint. i had the same prob with the door controls feeling too loose, when i had my door worked on last, they fixed it on the driver side but not the passanger side, ass's lol

brake light, better make them fix that too.

if they dont fix everything, and i mean everything, send it back, f them

seriously

ALi

shanusanus 11-09-2007 04:36 AM

Well just a little update for you'll

Heated setas and Comand are being done under warrenty so thats cool.

Turns out for the trim being loose, there is a MB retro fit kit - its half an hours labour and the kit is £15 (so £30 for both sides)

As for the glass well we didnt get near fixing that - I was just about to send the car back and then they offered me all my money back that I paid over my car - so I basically did a straight swap of my C32 with 80K miles no warrenty for a CL500 54K miles now with warrenty - I got my money back today that I paid so im gonna use that to hopefully fix the windows. The dealership is also sending me the trim kit and I have an friend who was a Mb tech who said he'll do it for me. nice.

Im well peeved that a mercedes dealership would deliver a car in so bad a way but hey I got my cash back (a few thousand) and other than the wondows its great. im happy.

beacham 11-09-2007 05:44 AM

hi, thanks for update, let us know how you get on with the windows, prices ect...as i said UK prices are a joke but cant get hold of any second hand the cl is quite rare over here.

User110 11-09-2007 12:07 PM

wow, u came out ON TOP on this one, lol good ****ttttt

ALi

shanusanus 11-09-2007 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by goliath27 (Post 2495356)
wow, u came out ON TOP on this one, lol good ****ttttt

ALi

yeah - the wife dont think so cause all she see's is my A1 condition C32 being swapped for a CL500 with wrecked windows :) but I defo am happy the way it came out for me. I just gotta find a breaker that has windows :)

BTW : Found a place in London who sells the the windows £125 for the fronts and £60 for the backs - he's out of stock (typical) but said he'll ring me when he gets another lot in - sounds good - too good to be true to be honest!

I actually considering claiming on insurance - smash the windows and put it down to vandalism:naughty:

User110 11-09-2007 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by shanusanus (Post 2495411)
yeah - the wife dont think so cause all she see's is my A1 condition C32 being swapped for a CL500 with wrecked windows :) but I defo am happy the way it came out for me. I just gotta find a breaker that has windows :)

BTW : Found a place in London who sells the the windows £125 for the fronts and £60 for the backs - he's out of stock (typical) but said he'll ring me when he gets another lot in - sounds good - too good to be true to be honest!

I actually considering claiming on insurance - smash the windows and put it down to vandalism:naughty:

hahahaha no comment...... but sometimes, ya gotta do what u gotta do hommie looll

ALi

BklynBenz 11-20-2007 02:15 PM

its called snap back with the pvb interlayer in between the laminated glass, only way to fix it is to get new windows

User110 11-20-2007 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by BklynBenz (Post 2513423)
its called snap back with the pvb interlayer in between the laminated glass, only way to fix it is to get new windows

if replaced, would it happen again?

ALi

beacham 11-20-2007 03:53 PM

Apparently the Pilkington Glass double-glazing suffers from this but the St Gobain double-glazing doesn't, so best try and get hold of that

BklynBenz 11-20-2007 04:07 PM

short answer...over time, yes.

not to be boring or anything but im in construction specifically architectural metals (stainless steel, bronze, brass, aluminum, etc) as well as glass so just to give you a background on laminated glass, here it is...

basically 2 pieces of annealed glass are cut to the proper size/pattern as well as a plastic interlayer which is also called a pvb (polyvinyl butyral). the pvb is cut a little oversize because next they sandwich the pvb between the 2 pieces of glass and run it thru an autoclave (pretty much a huge oven). the autoclave heats up the pvb and bonds with the glass making it one unit. next the tech will go around the edge of the unit and cut off any extra pvb.

now heres where the problems start...if the pvb wasnt cut large enough in the beginning when it goes thru the autoclave it can sometimes shrink a bit and it wont be flush to the edge of the glass. also inside the autoclave theres rollers that press against the glass that try to push out all of the air bubbles as it passes thru. sometimes they all come out sometimes they dont. sometimes over time if the original seal wasnt great it will start to de-laminate or let a little air in there causing some air bubbles. sometimes the factories still release the glass with minimal air bubbles because it falls within acceptable industry tolerances. also our windows are constantly going up and down and being that our windows are really not one single monolithic lite of glass and always moving the chances of the glass/pvb shifting are great.

it sucks i know, and being that i deal with glass it sucks for me even more lol. i have it on both my drivers side top and one small spot on the passenger side. and its even uglier when youre windows are tinted dark like me (20% or darker) because its stands out easier.

beacham 11-20-2007 04:15 PM

i would like to tint mine, but as you say it will look worse

BklynBenz 11-20-2007 04:18 PM

im prob exaggerating when i say how bad it really is, i really notice it because its me lol but whatever. ill try to take some pics tomorrow when its light out

User110 11-20-2007 04:48 PM

I'll take some pix also, but like he said, its prolly not as bad as what it sounds. yea its an eye soar, and its even WORSE with tinted windows(really makes it show!!). but i think as long as its not making your window come apart on you, you shouldn't go to the extremes of changing it. simple stuff like that is easier to live with then the coast of changing it and having it come back again.

but its up to you guys, i say, save your money, but suttin nice for the car like a laser jammer lol.

ALi

beacham 11-26-2007 01:49 PM

what happened to the pics?

User110 11-26-2007 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by beacham (Post 2521736)
what happened to the pics?

oh yea lol, i'll do it soon as i get out of class, lol, its raining now so i gotta pull up to a gas station.

ALi

beacham 11-26-2007 02:49 PM

i took some of mine but cant find my lead to connect on to my computer:nix: will try again tomorrow with my other cam.

ghaffar23 11-26-2007 03:21 PM

This double-glazing fault is happening with my mom's CL600 as well, however, the car is still under warranty. Will they be able to do something about this? It's such an eye-sore and a damn shame for it to be doing this.

Jay9722 11-27-2007 01:33 PM

Bubbles

Took the car in today for squealing brakes and rattling cats and mentioned the little bubbles in the glass. My regular service guy said he will go to bat for me and try to get a "good faith" glass fix for me! I won't hold my breath but I have my fingers crossed.

shanusanus 11-27-2007 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jay9722 (Post 2523729)
Took the car in today for squealing brakes and rattling cats and mentioned the little bubbles in the glass. My regular service guy said he will go to bat for me and try to get a "good faith" glass fix for me! I won't hold my breath but I have my fingers crossed.

Man you MUST keep us informed - if you get it done as goodwill please let us know your Chassis No (PM it us) so we can use it as ammo against our dealers here in the UK :naughty:

User110 11-27-2007 02:23 PM

just took the pic's for you, their not hat clear but soon as i get to work i'll have them uploaded. have other issues on my plate now. my rear wheel must have a rock in it or something, its grinding like crazy

ALi

Jay9722 11-27-2007 02:34 PM

bubbles

I will pass on the info as soon as I hear from the dealership. I have been lucky with my service manager...he hates the people he works for and tries to give me the hook-up as often as possible. Although, he really should since the problems I have been having with the car shouldn't be happening to begin with!

Jay9722 11-28-2007 11:07 AM

double glazing

Originally Posted by shanusanus (Post 2523802)
Man you MUST keep us informed - if you get it done as goodwill please let us know your Chassis No (PM it us) so we can use it as ammo against our dealers here in the UK :naughty:

Well I got the call this morning...brakes are newly replaced in March of 07 so they won't replace for squeaking but will put brake grease on for $150 an axle(no thanks). And now what you have all been waiting for....drum roll please...THEY ARE REPLACING MY GLASS!!! :D They car went out of warranty in October but they are replacing on "good faith." The driver's side is a done deal but the passenger side isn't bad yet so my service guy is trying to talk them in to replacing it as well.
Of course my rattling cats aren't rattling at the dealership so not gonna replace em. I swear something is rattling!
For all those who need it I will PM my chassis # when I get the car back.

User110 11-28-2007 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jay9722 (Post 2525539)
Well I got the call this morning...brakes are newly replaced in March of 07 so they won't replace for squeaking but will put brake grease on for $150 an axle(no thanks). And now what you have all been waiting for....drum roll please...THEY ARE REPLACING MY GLASS!!! :D They car went out of warranty in October but they are replacing on "good faith." The driver's side is a done deal but the passenger side isn't bad yet so my service guy is trying to talk them in to replacing it as well.
Of course my rattling cats aren't rattling at the dealership so not gonna replace em. I swear something is rattling!
For all those who need it I will PM my chassis # when I get the car back.

woooooow!! congrats bro, damn u milked them

ALi