MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CL-Class (W215) (https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w215-6/)
-   -   Cl600 intermittent starting issue (https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w215/428004-cl600-intermittent-starting-issue.html)

stowaski44 12-21-2011 05:42 PM

Cl600 intermittent starting issue

Hey guys I am new to a 2002 cl600. Sometimes I am getting issues trying to start it. Most of the time the car starts no issues. However on occasion when I turn the key I get power but it won't crank. Doesn't even sound like the starter gets engaged just replaced both batteries in the key and the keycard. I don't believe it's the battery since if you wait an hour (or so sometimes even after a couple of minutes) the car will start just fine. No bas lights or CEl codes. Looking for any ideas or experiences before I throw new parts at it. I don't want this beautiful car to leave me stranded one day

biker349 12-21-2011 06:43 PM

maybe check you ground wires.

nlieber 12-21-2011 09:41 PM

Two other possibilities are:
1.crank position sensor
2. cam position sensor

If you are not covered by warranty search around for best pricing. These are fairly easy to change out and doing it yourself can save hundreds.

stowaski44 12-22-2011 01:53 AM

i read about the cam and crank sensor but the cars usually affected by those issues crank and don't start. Mine won't even crank sometimes. Tonight when i got home i unlocked it and it started up just fine. turned off and on several times and no issues. I'm thinking biker349 is right about a possible ground issue..just don't know where to start. All of your responses are greatly appreciated.. just hope someone out there has had a similar issue and resolved it

ch33sehead 12-22-2011 07:37 AM

You may want to look at the wires going to your front right fuse box area. Especially the ones going to the engine computer.

stowaski44 12-22-2011 07:04 PM

Will check those out. Thanks

stowaski44 01-13-2012 12:26 AM

had a mercedes indie diag car. Was getting chip card not recognized message on screen when it would not start. Says there were a couple of wires broken in door hinge for related problems. When i went to pick it up it started just fine. Stopped somewhere and then tried again and no crank. sat there for a little leaving the key in the 2 position. After a while the ignition switch turned the key to start and it fired right up. Took it straight to dealer for diag. Any ideas on what it could be??

radride 01-13-2012 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by stowaski44 (Post 5003017)
had a mercedes indie diag car. Was getting chip card not recognized message on screen when it would not start. Says there were a couple of wires broken in door hinge for related problems. When i went to pick it up it started just fine. Stopped somewhere and then tried again and no crank. sat there for a little leaving the key in the 2 position. After a while the ignition switch turned the key to start and it fired right up. Took it straight to dealer for diag. Any ideas on what it could be??

Yes the door harnesses do have a tendency to break the wires due to the way the door opens (hinge design). Usually the signs of that are you auto window won't roll all the way up and you have to re-sequenize them. It should have nothing to do with the car starting.

R.K.

stowaski44 01-13-2012 02:12 PM

i agree that it is not causing the issue that i am having. just don't know if there is a relay besides the starter relay that is known to go out. Doesn't seem like a DAS or EIS issue as the key turns all the way and sometimes starts

stowaski44 01-18-2012 01:37 AM

any ideas guys..dealer called back saying they can't duplicate the issue

Jurgeenh 02-03-2019 08:38 PM

Did you figure out the problem? . have the same problem with a CL600, but the car will not start at all, it has around a year parked in my garage like that

skacl500 03-14-2020 09:01 PM

Hey, guys, I have been dealing with a few things on my 2001 CL600. Try to honk your horn when it won't start and if the horn doesn't work it is a right sam problem. If I was you I would look behind the carpet at the passenger footwall(not sure what you call it right now?...lol) and behind the carpet, there is a black square with wires connected. I actually had the second-biggest wire shorting out at the connection to the box, burnt, etc... When it shorted the passenger seat and stuff on the right side of the car would go out, as well as not starting. And then it would start just fine. Im lucky it did not burn up!

benzboy1989 11-19-2021 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by stowaski44 (Post 4971721)
Hey guys I am new to a 2002 cl600. Sometimes I am getting issues trying to start it. Most of the time the car starts no issues. However on occasion when I turn the key I get power but it won't crank. Doesn't even sound like the starter gets engaged just replaced both batteries in the key and the keycard. I don't believe it's the battery since if you wait an hour (or so sometimes even after a couple of minutes) the car will start just fine. No bas lights or CEl codes. Looking for any ideas or experiences before I throw new parts at it. I don't want this beautiful car to leave me stranded one day

I HAVE EXACT SAME ISSUE!! Did u figure it out please let me no!