CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

How to Remove/Replace Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
97 Lexus LS400, 04 Mustang, 08 Corvette Z51, 92 Honda Civic Si, 02 CL500, 03 E500
How to Remove/Replace Brake Rotors

I recently replaced the front & rear brake pads on my 02 CL500 with OEM pads but I don't like them because they are very dusty. I'm going to replace them w/ ceramic pads to keep the wheels cleaner. Since my rotors are approaching the minimum thickness so I'm thinking of replacing them as well. Before I start, I thought I should ask those that have worked on these before if these rotors are floating on these cars as many others? If so, they should come right off once the calipers are removed or are they attached to the axles and would be a job to have them remove? Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w215 cl65, W212 E63, R53 Mini Cooper JCW, E92 328I
i am not a MB tech but i can give you a pretty good idea.. once you have removed the brake caliper and the brake caliper support bracket.. the brake rotor should come right off by tapping it with your hand or a soft rubber hammer.... now most european cars have a small screw which holds the rotor in place and centered... this "screw" is in front of the rotor where the lug bolts are.. it should be a allen bolt.. around 5mm i think.... once you remove that screw ( If there is one ) the rotor should just come right off with little effort of the hammer.... on the rear it is the same steps.. but only other thing i can think of is for the rear rotors, some rotors are hard to take off then others becuase of the emergancy brakes shoes are tight against the inner part of the rotor, u might need to turn back the tension on the adjustment knob through the center of the rotor,then it should be easy to pull off. remember to adjust the parking/emergancy brakes properly with just a little bit of drag when you spin the rotor...... also just a warning... im not sure what year and which mercedes this applies too but some cars apply parking brakes automaticly and once you remove the calipers off the rotors the brakes will automaticaly compress and cause big problems... just a fyi if u are doing it on another mercedes
Old 02-22-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
97 Lexus LS400, 04 Mustang, 08 Corvette Z51, 92 Honda Civic Si, 02 CL500, 03 E500
Thanks Freestylebiker.