MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CL-Class (W215) (https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w215-6/)
-   -   CL500 Trunk Alignment-Body Shop Question (https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w215/488377-cl500-trunk-alignment-body-shop-question.html)

ehop50 02-12-2013 07:27 PM

CL500 Trunk Alignment-Body Shop Question

1 Attachment(s)
I am having issue with the left hand front edge of my CL500 trunk lid. For some reason the hinge is not pulling the upper left hand corner of the trunk lid into its normal residing space when closed...please see picture.

I cannot tell what is causing this. Can anyone give me a clue?

radride 02-13-2013 10:29 AM

I have the same issue, not as bad as yours, on the passanger's side. I haven't been able to figure it out either.

R.K.

ehop50 02-13-2013 11:16 AM

I am thinking that Park Place Dallas has its own body shop and perhaps I can get them to take a look at it soon. I will let you know what I find out.

OCKlasse 02-18-2013 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by radride (Post 5543616)
I have the same issue, not as bad as yours, on the passanger's side. I haven't been able to figure it out either.

R.K.

Ditto. Mine is on the passenger side. Sometimes the trunk closes with no gap, and sometimes the rear corner sticks up a few millimeters.

radride 02-18-2013 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by OCKlasse (Post 5549494)
Ditto. Mine is on the passenger side. Sometimes the trunk closes with no gap, and sometimes the rear corner sticks up a few millimeters.

Yup.

R.K.

ehop50 02-18-2013 08:19 PM

Well, I went to Park Place Grapevine Bodywerks. I was impressed that the estimator was very knowledgeable and grabbed a wrench and tried to reposition it. He did actually get it to drop down some but not enough to our liking. He believes that the trunk lid was replaced due to a lack of a VIN number on the part, which means someone was not truthful with me when I purchased the car. As we were making adjustments, he said the springs and both sides actually assist with pulling the the trunk lid into position.

Anyway, the lid's adjustment is repairable. He thinks that the reason he could not get it lower was that the original hinge may have been bent in an accident or during the repair process. A hinge is $212.00, I also need the whole weatherstrip around the edge and that is another $120.00. I also requested the driver side door be adjusted. The whole thing is estimated to be about $550.00. I did not think that was to bad considering I have almost got the car back in a comfortable condition where the vehicle will not require anymore repair work until spring. The blower motor will be next...it is chirping on start up and then intermittently.

I will post more as things get done. I plan on putting the vehicle in the shop between March and March 8.

I wonder if a weak spring could cause the lift at the hinge. I do not think my springs are weak because the lid will quickly fly up without any assistance. Shoot, in a stiff 40mph Texas wind like we are having today, I am afraid to use the opener from the inside because a think the trnk lid would leave its attach points.

ehop50 03-12-2013 05:19 PM

Trunk Hinge is replaced

4 Attachment(s)
Well I am happy to say that my trunk lid is now adjusted back into its original position. It cost me $436.51 in parts that included just the newly redesigned left side hinge 215-750-09-87, 215-980-05-64 Telescopic S, 220-758-00-44 Stop, 215-693-02-33-7C45 Covering. The covering I believe to be the gap seal for the lid itself (not the actual trunk lid seal for the compartment). Labor: $187.19 that included a driver door adjustment.

I was very happy with the results. The new assembly offers the ability to adjust the spring load to slow the opening of the trunk. Before the trunk would fly open and scare the person to death opening it when the stops hit.

Park Place Mercedes Bodywerks, Grapevine Texas, did the replacememt and accommodated my needs without question. That included a free ride to DFW and dropping the vehicle to another parking lot for my pick up late at night.

HopefullyE63 05-01-2019 05:37 PM

Ancient thread but does everyone her have those springs? I don't

ctravis595 05-12-2019 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by HopefullyE63 (Post 7746286)

The trunk will still open and close without them, I know from experience. Perhaps someone never re installed them during a previous repair

in regards to the original thread, the trunk lid is able to manipulated by slightly loosing the 10mm screws that mount the hinges, and using a piece of wood with a hammer to nudge the hinges around until you find the spot that works best

tusabes 06-09-2019 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by HopefullyE63 (Post 7746286)

If you have the trunk lid with power closing you have gas struts not springs

the springs were only on cars without hydraulic power closing trunk

2006 CL500 07-08-2019 06:27 PM

Mine does the same on the passenger side....

Joe

2006 CL500 07-08-2019 06:28 PM

Mine does the same on the passengers side...

pmercury 07-08-2019 06:57 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...05d2333c47.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...bdd7b64e69.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...45f3113bf5.jpg

Kelvin Bellrose 07-12-2019 11:32 PM

Is there an adjustment in DAS to control the speed of operation on the trunk? I replaced my struts and it goes up way better, but it kind of slams when closing.
I can't find this setting on the simulation anywhere. That, and I thought there was a trunk calibration setting in DAS but I can't find that either.
Cheers.

pmercury 07-13-2019 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kelvin Bellrose (Post 7801960)
Is there an adjustment in DAS to control the speed of operation on the trunk? I replaced my struts and it goes up way better, but it kind of slams when closing.
I can't find this setting on the simulation anywhere. That, and I thought there was a trunk calibration setting in DAS but I can't find that either.
Cheers.

Unfortunately not
also, its seems in SIm mode trunk settings don't show up
I'll connect to car later to print you a screen for your trunk lid reset

Trunk is one thing I never got fixed in terms of little slam
Try without the emergency triangle (its very heavy) and if it is satisfying keep it that way of fix
can be arms, can be gaskets in hydrolic fluid system somewhere....

AnthonyCatlett 01-29-2020 09:54 PM

Greetings! I have this same problem on the front corner of the passenger side trunk lid. 2004 CL55 and mine has the gas struts.