Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Originally Posted by duhdenmark
Hi guys.

Just to let any doubters know, its very easy to flush the abc oil on your CL. You do not need a STAR for this job.

1. Do a good cleaning around the ABC container. - See awiners post below he also recommends that the entire container is drained first, because there can be lots of dirt in the buttom.
2. Disconnect the hose going to the big cap on top on the ABC container. Connect the end of this hose to a clear hose and put it in a bowl that can contain at least 10 liters of oil. You need a clear hose, because then you can watch when the oil running through is a nice clean green color.
3. Remove the lid and ABC oil filter, again take care so that dirt do not get into the ABC oil container. Ready 10 liters of Pentosin CHF 11S.
4. Have some good light available so you can always observe the oil level in the container during the flush.
5. Have a friend turn on the car.
6. From the inside of the car, use the raise button up and down to cycle the ABC oil. Take GREAT care not to let the ABC container run dry. The flow is not very fast, even when the car is being raised, but if you need a brake, just turn of the engine and fill the container again.
7. After flushing about 8 liters the oil should be nice green again. I used 10 liters because that was what I was recommended.
8. After you are finished, replace the ABC oil filter and make sure the oil level is correct.
9. You are done and its more easy that changing the engine oil!

David
I would run a rodeo and change the filter after you will be surprised how much air bubbles come out
Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
cl600
question, when changing pump i've read that you have to pressurize the reservoir to get the fluid into the pump. how is this done?
thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Pump air into the oil return pipe at the top. Only takes a few PSI.

Alternatively you may be able to do what I did, and remove the poly-V belt and manually spin the pump pulley to prime it. You can feel the pump firm up when its full.

Either way, if air has gone into the pump, the pump won't prime itself, even if the fluid reservoir is full to the brim. It just won't take it in.

Nick
Old 07-30-2020, 10:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 E350 CGI S212 // 2004 SL500 R230
Hi guys,

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I think my question is suited to here.

I have been told that if I don't use STAR to pitch the car then (but use the centre console button as in the OP) then it won't get all the fluid out of the struts. Is this correct?

I don't have STAR and garages are looking for crazy money to perform the flush.

Has anybody don't this and had no issue?

I have gotten the fluid cheap and as a middle ground I am thinking that I should just flush the system until green. Then check the fluid after a few hundred miles and flush again. This should end up with a lot of good fluid and any of the remaining stuff being very diluted.

What do you think?
The following users liked this post:
jvakos (04-27-2021)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
I flushed the ABC system in mine without STAR and just used the button on the dash about 20 times. Never had an issue with it, and neither will you especially if you do it a second time round.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 E350 CGI S212 // 2004 SL500 R230
Originally Posted by w4sim
I flushed the ABC system in mine without STAR and just used the button on the dash about 20 times. Never had an issue with it, and neither will you especially if you do it a second time round.
Thanks for that.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CL 500 2002 Brilliant Silver Metallic
Originally Posted by benz_addict
I would run a rodeo and change the filter after you will be surprised how much air bubbles come out
Please explain yourself better.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Pump air into the oil return pipe at the top. Only takes a few PSI.
Nick
How many PSI? What is the procedure?
Old 02-15-2021, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by awiner
If you have ever taken out the ABC reservoir and emptied it, you would be amazed at how much sludge and crap is in there.

I would recommend draining and removing the reservoir before doing this process to get most of that crap out of the system.
Is possible remove the reservoir without lost oil in the ABC system? Suggest for remove and clean reservoir?
Old 11-24-2021, 01:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2008 e350
Originally Posted by bhpplease
Hi guys,

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I think my question is suited to here.

I have been told that if I don't use STAR to pitch the car then (but use the centre console button as in the OP) then it won't get all the fluid out of the struts. Is this correct?

I have gotten the fluid cheap and as a middle ground I am thinking that I should just flush the system until green. Then check the fluid after a few hundred miles and flush again. This should end up with a lot of good fluid and any of the remaining stuff being very diluted.

What do you think?
Another question: is it really necessary to either do a Star rodeo or use the dash switch to exercise the suspension? Can the flush be done by affixing a clear hose to the reservoir cap to drain the old oil into a container, start the car and begin adding fluid (not using the dash switch at all). This would let the pump move oil through the system.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
If you flush the ABC fluid with the car static, you will only flush the fluid in the circulating system, which consists of the pump, cooler, pressure regulator, the front and rear control valves and the connecting pipes.

If you flush with the rodeo, you flush the fluid in the struts and the connecting pipes, and you really want to drain it into a bucket straight away as it's pretty bad - plus the stuff that comes out for a minute afterwards. You're really dislodging everything there, and you don't want it going back into the reservoir.

Flushing with the level control gets SOME of the dirty fluid out of the struts, but not all, so it's a half way house. Not a bad way to do it, as you don't need the ABC pump to be in tip top condition, like with the rodeo, which is very demanding.

I don't know for sure, but dirty fluid in the struts doesn't seem to do much harm, the same fluid just goes backwards and forwards (and hardly ever gets filtered, unlike the fluid in the circulating system).

Dirty fluid in the pump is bad news.

Nick
The following users liked this post:
Brabus SL (09-17-2023)
Old 11-24-2021, 04:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2008 e350
Originally Posted by bhpplease
Hi guys,

What do you think?
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
If you flush the ABC fluid with the car static, you will only flush the fluid in the circulating system, which consists of the pump, cooler, pressure regulator, the front and rear control valves and the connecting pipes.

If you flush with the rodeo, you flush the fluid in the struts and the connecting pipes, and you really want to drain it into a bucket straight away as it's pretty bad - plus the stuff that comes out for a minute afterwards. You're really dislodging everything there, and you don't want it going back into the reservoir.

Flushing with the level control gets SOME of the dirty fluid out of the struts, but not all, so it's a half way house. Not a bad way to do it, as you don't need the ABC pump to be in tip top condition, like with the rodeo, which is very demanding.

I don't know for sure, but dirty fluid in the struts doesn't seem to do much harm, the same fluid just goes backwards and forwards (and hardly ever gets filtered, unlike the fluid in the circulating system).

Dirty fluid in the pump is bad news.

Nick
Greatly appreciate the response and information. I’ve been looking for such an answer for a while.