CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Questions about replacing the ABC suspension with coil overs. What about sway bars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
Questions about replacing the ABC suspension with coil overs. What about sway bars?

I have been thinking of buying a 2002 or newer Mercedes SL500 or a CL500 since i have always liked the look of both the SL and CL
The fact that there are a lot of ABC suspension problems have held me back from buying a SL500 or CL500 so far

I am afraid of buying myself problems and since i usually do all of the work on my cars myself i can not say that i think it is great fun working on my cras

I see that Strutmasters sells a bolt on coil overs that comes with a electronic box that eliminate fault errors after you have converted from ABS suspension to coil over suspension.

All of this seems like an easy job.

But my question is what about sway bars front and rear?

I imagine that you absolute need front and rear sway bars

I cant see any that sells the coil over convertion set have sway bars included

Can you fit sway bars from an S class?

For those here that have done the coil overs suspension convertion what did you do when it comes to sway bars?
Attached Thumbnails Questions about replacing the ABC suspension with coil overs. What about sway bars?-mercedes-cl500.jpg  

Last edited by TheSaint; 04-10-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 793 Likes on 616 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by TheSaint
I have been thinking of buying a 2002 or newer Mercedes SL500 or a CL500 since i have always liked the look of both the SL and CL
The fact that there are a lot of ABC suspension problems have held me back from buying a SL500 or CL500 so far

I am afraid of buying myself problems and since i usually do all of the work on my cars myself i can not say that i think it is great fun working on my cras

I see that Strutmasters sells a bolt on coil overs that comes with a electronic box that eliminate fault errors after you have converted from ABS suspension to coil over suspension.

All of this seems like an easy job.

But my question is what about sway bars front and rear?

I imagine that you absolute need front and rear sway bars

I cant see any that sells the coil over convertion set have sway bars included

Can you fit sway bars from an S class?

For those here that have done the coil overs suspension convertion what did you do when it comes to sway bars?
if you would read the threats a bit before asking same questions you would find the parts you need; their numbers and how to mount them
Old 04-10-2017, 02:39 PM

350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
pmercury. Thanks for those nice words.....

They are very helpful

Last edited by TheSaint; 04-10-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
For the cl class , you have to buy both the s class sway bar and s class airmatic control arms which have the sway bar mounts . You can find s class control arms and sway bars very cheap .

for the sl roadster , you have to buy sl black series parts , as the black series didn't use abc. Note however these parts will cost a fortune . They are only available from Mercedes .

The yellow speed conversion is superior to the strutmasters conversion
Old 04-10-2017, 04:35 PM

CL
ok
let's help the lazy boy
look at my list here, put yellow speed struts, forget about the strutmasters retards
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...n-bars-dy.html
Old 04-12-2017, 12:22 PM

tusabes and pmercury thank you both for the help

tusabes. Great so if would go for an CL500 i now know that i can use S class sway bar and S class airmatic control arms have the sway bar mounts

I would assume that SL black series parts cost enough

pmercury. So you have done this convertion so if i buy an CL i know to whom i should to ask if i need some good advices about the convertion
Again thanks a lot for the help

Last edited by TheSaint; 04-12-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:41 PM

CL
Originally Posted by TheSaint
tusabes and pmercury thank you both for the help

tusabes. Great so if would go for an CL500 i now know that i can use S class sway bar and S class airmatic control arms have the sway bar mounts

I would assume that SL black series parts cost enough

pmercury. So you have done this convertion so if i buy an CL i know to whom i should to ask if i need some good advices about the convertion
Again thanks a lt for the help
there is no such as a black series sway bar
or it's the same bar tagged price black series +200%