CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

How many Cl 63's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
How many Cl 63's?

Just out of curiosity, how rare is the CL63? In Miami, I have seen only one other (Blk/Blk), and so far, I think mine is the only one in Majestic Black with Black interior. FloridaE55 has a beautiful Maj Blk with a light interior, but he's a bit North of Miami. Anyone know what the actual production number is for the US?

Last edited by neodoc; 01-11-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by neodoc
FloridaE55 has a beautiful Maj Blk with a light interior, but he's a bit North of Miami. Anyone know what the actual production number is for the US?
Haven't got mine yet..

So far, I've only seen 2 CL63s in the Tampa area: One downtown, the other one at my dealership shortly before it was delivered to one of their customers.

The new CL model (well, even the older one) is VERY rare in my area, I think I only spotted one or two CL550s so far, keeping the total number of new CL spottings below 5.

Last edited by FloridaE55; 01-12-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1953 Fiat Topolino
Rare is a relative term...

Well, let's look at the following ad numbers, Neodoc. According to Autotrader, it computed 165 as the number of MY08 CL63s for sale in the USA just a few minutes ago. The number of MY08 CL600s for sale at the same moment in the USA is 51. The number of MY08 CL65s for sale is 67. And at the same time, the number of MY08 CL550s listed is 321. It is not a scientific study (e.g. it doesn't tell you how many have been sold already or how many more are being built), but it tells you something: what the approximate US inventory of 08 CL is at the present time. As you may know, Autotrader is used by dealers (perhaps most) in the USA to advertise what they have for sale in stock/inventory. Almost all '08 model ads are placed by dealers and not individuals. Equally interesting is how MBUSA has instructed MB Financial to calculate its residuals on the MY08 CL63, which have been published nationwide and communicated to us via LeaseCompare (one of our sponsors). It is on par with the CL550 and much higher than for the MY08 CL600 or MY08 CL65. This helps make leasing CL63s 'more' affordable (than say an equally costly CL600) at your MB dealer. MBUSA is intent to move MY08 CL63s in large numbers and they are producing this specific AMG model in large quantities as a result. But don't take my word for it, let us all do some research and find out the total number of CL63 expected to be produced for the US market in MY08. You will be surprised at the 'high' numbers already built...and expected to be built by the end of the MY08 run. And these 'large' numbers (total MY08 CL63 production) will make it anything but 'rare' in the marketplace - now or in the future. Personally, I will be very 'surprised' if these higher than anticipated residuals from MB Financial for the '08 CL63s meet expectations one year from now (same for 24/36 months, etc). Manheim will tell us soon enough. We will be here to discuss them, I am sure. This has nothing to do with the merits of the CL63s. It is just an analysis of the apparent strategy MBUSA and MB AG have for selling this specific model to us. And 'rarity' does seem to play a large role in their marketing plans for the CL63. Z356
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Suspect many buyers of new CL already have their copy, so all that unsold inventory (and incoming cars) will be difficult sales....

Obviously, high new CL inventories prob mean poor trade-in values....though poor trade-in values translate to high cost of ownership, IMO would prefer mass production.....allows MB to more quickly obtain real-world safety and reliability data.....and scale allows MB to more quickly incorp tech advances/debugs, even intra-MY....

One can routinely see CL63s (and other new CLs) around SF's financial district and in certain office pkg lots in SiliconValley (though I typically see more '07-'08 S65s rather than CL63 around SiliconValley)....prob see 3-4 CL63s daily in SF.....

Would argue CL63 is a fairly elite, niche car....not many guys anywhere who can afford to (and choose to) commute via a fast-depreciating $150K+ coupe.....CL63 is basically useless in major mkts like NYC and Chicago during their 5mos/yr of AMG-unfriendly weather....it's not a big sedan to more easily justify to wife as dad's car to ferry kids around, etc (SUVs are for mommies/nannies, right?)....and it's not a convertible which often has far more appeal to many as a fair-weather wkend car.....but my sense is that, at least in SiliconValley, AMG has a far deeper base of highly respected guys who choose to commute via CL63, S65, SL55, etc....IMO, a far more impressive repeat customer base vs that of any other auto brand/model (incl Ferrari)....
Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by WSH
Suspect many buyers of new CL already have their copy, so all that unsold inventory (and incoming cars) will be difficult sales....

Obviously, high new CL inventories prob mean poor trade-in values....though poor trade-in values translate to high cost of ownership, IMO would prefer mass production.....allows MB to more quickly obtain real-world safety and reliability data.....and scale allows MB to more quickly incorp tech advances/debugs, even intra-MY....

One can routinely see CL63s (and other new CLs) around SF's financial district and in certain office pkg lots in SiliconValley (though I typically see more '07-'08 S65s rather than CL63 around SiliconValley)....prob see 3-4 CL63s daily in SF.....

Would argue CL63 is a fairly elite, niche car....not many guys anywhere who can afford to (and choose to) commute via a fast-depreciating $150K+ coupe.....CL63 is basically useless in major mkts like NYC and Chicago during their 5mos/yr of AMG-unfriendly weather....it's not a big sedan to more easily justify to wife as dad's car to ferry kids around, etc (SUVs are for mommies/nannies, right?)....and it's not a convertible which often has far more appeal to many as a fair-weather wkend car.....but my sense is that, at least in SiliconValley, AMG has a far deeper base of highly respected guys who choose to commute via CL63, S65, SL55, etc....IMO, a far more impressive repeat customer base vs that of any other auto brand/model (incl Ferrari)....

............I agree with this. I have been preaching this gospel for sometime now. Many still view their cars the way they view their country club memberships. Unfortunately unlike the country club, the crack head down the street can have the same ride as you do so long as he/she has the cash. Britney Spears and the queen of England can own the same ride. Emphasis on exclusivity in modern automobiles is misplaced. Some of the happiest guys and gals on this forum are the W211 E55 owners. They enjoy their cars. No talk of exclusivity, just talk about how nice or not nice the car is. The car itself is the center of the conversation, not the unresolved need to belong of the owner.

......For those that must have exclusivity, I think you bought the wrong car. Sell that car right now before it is worth nothing and buy an exotic. Most people that can afford $200K cars and want to be exclusive do not buy MB's. That makes $200K MB's rare, except on autotrader. Does this mean that $200K MB's are exlusive, because you don't see a lot of them? Is the R63 exclusive or is is just not a good value? You don't see a lot of R63's around, but they cannot be said to be exclusive.

Ted
Old 01-15-2008, 11:32 AM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
Pay To Play

Pay to Play. It’s very simple; if you can’t afford the price of admission, you shouldn’t be buying a CL/AMG or anything else in the high end luxury category. 50% depreciation in two years is what you should expect and it's always been that way. Shut up already!

Of course MB could make a few less copies of its "exclusive" cars.

By the way, recessions are great times to buy major appliances.

Last edited by ieb; 01-15-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by ieb
Pay to Play. It’s very simple; if you can’t afford the price of admission, you shouldn’t be buying a CL/AMG or anything else in the high end luxury category. 50% depreciation in two years is what you should expect and it's always been that way. Shut up already!

Of course MB could make a few less copies of its "exclusive" cars.

By the way, recessions are great times to buy major appliances.
.........yea! It is just interesting how E55's guys are all talking about how much fun their cars are while CL owners are talking about how "exclusive" their cars are. Very odd. Of course their are fewer Cl63's and 65's made because MB expects that few people wiil opt to drop $200K on these cars. The perceived exlusivity is nothing but the mabufacturers projection of what market for the car will be. Particularly important in this case because most folks that can afford these cars will buy something else like Bentley or lambo or Ferrari etc. This always made me respect folks that bought $200K MB's because I thought it showed that they bought their cars because they actually like the cars since they have enough disposable income to boy something else. So dispense with all the exclusivity talk? That is all there seems to be on the CL63 and 65 forums. These are fantastic cars that should be enjoyed. Yes they will be worth nothing in a few year. So enjoy them! It is like dating 21 year old hottie. Yes enjoy it while she lasts, her ***** will sag in the future like the rest of them. No question about it.

Ted
Old 01-16-2008, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.........yea! It is just interesting how E55's guys are all talking about how much fun their cars are while CL owners are talking about how "exclusive" their cars are. ...
I don't really think that CL owners are taken with their "exclusivity"..

Fun with the car? I'm whining about going through a pair of GS-D3's in 3,800 miles and PS2's in 4,800.

I can't imagine what the guys with 65's get out of their tires. Anything more than 3,000 and they need to turn that exclusive car in (to me).
Old 01-17-2008, 12:08 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Yeah, have never heard of a CL owner desire for "exclusivity"....

"Exclusivity" is marketing nonsense used to sell purses, shoes, etc to insecure chicks/post-menopausal gold-diggers....and/or to sell Ferraris, w/their mythical 3-4 yr waitlists, to gullible codgers from Podunk....

All <1yo, $150K+ cars tend to be uncommon sightings outside a few predictable parts of the NYC/SF/LA regions (esp on a rainy/cloudy wkday)....SF-SiliconValley's 280 fwy will occasionally have a few CL63/599s blitzing through traffic during early commute or off-hrs, but most affluent guys tend to have <10mis each-way commutes, e.g., intra-BevHills/intra-SF/intra-Greenwich/Woodside-SiliconValley, etc....

In fact, would argue more car guys w/net worths >>$100MM in jaded places like SiliconValley or Greenwich choose to drive mere CL63s/SL55s....and not 65s (or 599).....the laughable aspects of high-end marketing....most of the guys at the upper reaches of the stratosphere have less to prove/advertise than the more aspirational consumer.....and jaded guys will opt for 65/599 if it interests them....but won't if it doesn't.....after all, everyone that matters at their office/favorite restaurants/country club/private air terminal pkg lot, etc recognizes them/their rough net worth/how well they tip/pay....and that they can afford any car/plane they want.....so any car has little advertising/status value to most guys who matter...

Aside from own positive personal expces w/numerous new AMGs, have much respect for cars like CL63/SL55 b/c these cars clearly have a deep base of repeat car guy customers who can easily afford any car they want (and are well aware of deprec costs)....but choose to drive/enjoy these cars daily and simply get a new copy every 6-24 mos....
Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 AM

what you guys are forgetting is that no one needs a tempermental car.

British cars are too tempermental as a daily driver.

If you want a fast, beautiful, reliable, regularly asperated, and technolically relavent car, there are not too many choices that arent Japanese.

CL63 is the best car ive ever owned, hands down. I could actually see myself owning this car for ten years.

I've never owned a car for more than two in the past.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 PM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
Total agreement with all above!

I’ve never enjoyed a car as much as the CL63! My wife has a 997 C2SCab/Sport Exhaust, than I no longer “borrow". The CL63 is simply beyond “state of the art”.

I can see keeping the car for a few years, don't see anthing better coming down the pike for some time, maybe until the next CL!

In the past I’ve owned a couple of Ferrari’s including a F40, they were more exotic but not daily drivers, so not to be compared.

Last edited by ieb; 01-17-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:56 AM

Okay, now it's my turn, since I started this thread. I was simply curious as to how many CL63's were actually on the road, since here in Miami, not exactly a poor town, I have seen only one other. I wasn't aiming at exclusivity in the snobbish sense, but in the sense that whereas one sees a multitude of MB's on the road, one seldom sees a CL, and much less a 63/65. We all bought our cars because they appealed to us for different reasons. One cannot deny that having so much power is attractive, but I for one also need comfort and a quiet cabin. That's why I chose the CL63. I work very hard and most of my time is spent in three places: my home, my car and work. At least two of the three have to be comfortable. So if the CL isn't "exclusive," so be it. I enjoy it and don't "see myself" coming down the road like the folks that drive Accords do. If I recall correctly, I used the term "rare" and not "exclusive" when I asked my question. It was interpreted as exclusive. Maybe we should dispense with the word exclusive and go with another...say, exotic, which according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary is defined as introduced from another country and strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual. But, then again, we're not cramming ourselves into a Murciélago.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Okay, now it's my turn, since I started this thread. I was simply curious as to how many CL63's were actually on the road, since here in Miami, not exactly a poor town, I have seen only one other. I wasn't aiming at exclusivity in the snobbish sense, but in the sense that whereas one sees a multitude of MB's on the road, one seldom sees a CL, and much less a 63/65. We all bought our cars because they appealed to us for different reasons. One cannot deny that having so much power is attractive, but I for one also need comfort and a quiet cabin. That's why I chose the CL63. I work very hard and most of my time is spent in three places: my home, my car and work. At least two of the three have to be comfortable. So if the CL isn't "exclusive," so be it. I enjoy it and don't "see myself" coming down the road like the folks that drive Accords do. If I recall correctly, I used the term "rare" and not "exclusive" when I asked my question. It was interpreted as exclusive. Maybe we should dispense with the word exclusive and go with another...say, exotic, which according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary is defined as introduced from another country and strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual. But, then again, we're not cramming ourselves into a Murciélago.
There's quite few in L.A. I see two per day. Anyway, nice, big, comfortabe car and more tasteful than a Lambo.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:14 AM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
I’ve only seen one other CL63 that was in South Beach in December. Overall I’d say that since the 216 CL was introduced maybe total of all around 10-12 sightings in my travels.

Mercedes says that sales of new CL have been huge success so I think that in a few years they will be a common sight like the 215 CL is now.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
I was at a gas station in Louisiana a few weeks ago and saw a beautiful black 63 at the pump next to me. The guy had it re-badged as a 65.

Douchebag.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Banned

06 SL55
Nobody should buy the CL63 for exclusivity,....it's just a Mercedes.

With that said, I do see a few (at least 2-3) per day over here.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Its pretty common. I have seen about 8 to 10 different CL63's here in So Cal so far. In my office building there are 3 total including mine.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
There's quite few in L.A. I see two per day. Anyway, nice, big, comfortabe car and more tasteful than a Lambo.
Sure as hell more tasteful than a Lambo
Old 01-20-2008, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
I see a million CL550's all over south Florida, but CL63 is pretty rare... maybe seen it like 3-4 times. Never saw a CL65, but did see a few CL600's.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ieb
I’ve only seen one other CL63 that was in South Beach in December.
That was probably mine .
Old 01-23-2008, 11:07 AM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
That was probably mine .
The one that I saw was Blk/Blk on Collins. I thought that it might be a rental because it was on a lot with some other exotics?

If that was you, NICE CAR!

I have 3800 miles on mine and it just keeps getting better.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ieb
The one that I saw was Blk/Blk on Collins. I thought that it might be a rental because it was on a lot with some other exotics?

If that was you, NICE CAR!

I have 3800 miles on mine and it just keeps getting better.
No, ieb, I guess it wasn't mine. I was at the premiere of Art Basel, and the CL was valet parked in front of the entrance to the convention center, but I wasn't on Collins that night. Thanks for the "nice car" complement and right back at ya. Mine has 1200 miles and counting. I don't drive it much; too many idiots stealing doctors' parking spots at the hospital and possibly damaging my toy.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 PM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
Wow, A work of art in front of some pieces of art. How appropriate!

Last edited by ieb; 01-23-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 PM

ive seen about 30 in LA. but everytime i see it it makes me turn my head lol