CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

New CL55 owner... need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01' CL55 AMG, 86' 560SL
New CL55 owner... need advice

Hi everyone... I just purchased a 2001 Cl55 AMG and am a new member of MBWorld. I was just wondering if you guys had any advice for me about this car or is there anything that I should know? Ex) Any recalls out there? Any common issues with this car that I should look out for? Also, I am looking to purchase an extended warranty. Do any of you use an aftermarket warranty company that you can recommend? My car is a 2001 with 59k miles... I am looking for a somewhat "bumper to bumper" coverage.

Thanks in advance and I will post some pics of the car in the near future.

Pete
Old 01-28-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 CL500,& '18 GLS63. Gone: '83 500SEC,'99 500SL,'07GL450
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-cl65-amg-cl63-amg-c215-c216/119996-cl55-technical-service-bulletins.html
(Some of the TSB's from 2003-2006 may apply to your 2001 also.)

Last edited by reddog; 01-28-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 PM

I can't afford
Easy Care, they're very good and cover everything
Old 01-28-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2019 E63s AMG Sedan, 2021 Range Rover Autobiography "50", 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by Satan
Easy Care, they're very good and cover everything
Yeah, I wish. I have a VERY expensive TotalCare contract from EasyCare, and while it's supposed to cover everything, there always seems to be exclusions. I just paid $700 last week to replace an ABC strut hose that was leaking.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 AM

2003 cl55 (sold)
Yeah.... I need a new warranty company as well. Here's what happened. Bought the car on 12/03/07 from an independent dealership (non-Mercedes) and paid 2500 for a warranty (5 years/75,000 mi, 100 deductible) from Buyer's Choice which was offered by the dealership. I thought everything was good. Well, my SRS airbag malfunction light came on. I called up the warranty people, seeing what I had to do to ensure that it was covered by the warranty. They told me I didn't have one. What!?!? Well after several phone calls between them and the dealership I purchased the car from, and hassling back and forth, I got a letter the other day saying that my make/model is not covered and that the dealership had not paid their surcharge. In the meantime, it seems like any other warranty (I called Mercedes of San Diego) I'm not eligible for now because it has been 2 months I've had the car and they have a time limit since you purchase the car to get a warranty. It has 36,700 mi, and I don't know about you, but I'm pretty teed off because I thought I had a warranty that I don't. They told me I'll get my money back, well I would frickin hope so! But thats not even the issue. I would have shopped around for a warranty if I had known. Anyways, if anybody can help me out or recommend a warranty company that would cover my 2003 cl55 I would be much appreciative. Something just doesn't seem right about the whole situation though. Why sell me the warranty if they know or before they knew if it will be covered? In the meantime, it had a validation period of 30 days and 1000 miles, which I drove, otherwise I wouldn't have, in order to make the supposed warranty valid. Nevertheless, not too happy about the whole situation.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 PM

Mercedes CL55 AMG - S600 - S500 - E500
MERCEDES CL - S CLASS INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FAILERS CL55 AMG 500 600 etc

Check for outstanding recalls.

Can be very expensive if yours is not included in the recall list.

see thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-cl65-amg-cl63-amg-c215-c216/227533-mercedes-cl55-amg-cl500-cl600-wiring-diagram-instrument-cluster-fuse-fuse-chart.html
Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 PM

I can't afford
Originally Posted by v8plus4
Yeah, I wish. I have a VERY expensive TotalCare contract from EasyCare, and while it's supposed to cover everything, there always seems to be exclusions. I just paid $700 last week to replace an ABC strut hose that was leaking.
That's your service departments fault. Take it somewhere where they know how to present the claim to the warranty company.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:39 PM

I can't afford
Originally Posted by jicl55
Yeah.... I need a new warranty company as well. Here's what happened. Bought the car on 12/03/07 from an independent dealership (non-Mercedes) and paid 2500 for a warranty (5 years/75,000 mi, 100 deductible) from Buyer's Choice which was offered by the dealership. I thought everything was good. Well, my SRS airbag malfunction light came on. I called up the warranty people, seeing what I had to do to ensure that it was covered by the warranty. They told me I didn't have one. What!?!? Well after several phone calls between them and the dealership I purchased the car from, and hassling back and forth, I got a letter the other day saying that my make/model is not covered and that the dealership had not paid their surcharge. In the meantime, it seems like any other warranty (I called Mercedes of San Diego) I'm not eligible for now because it has been 2 months I've had the car and they have a time limit since you purchase the car to get a warranty. It has 36,700 mi, and I don't know about you, but I'm pretty teed off because I thought I had a warranty that I don't. They told me I'll get my money back, well I would frickin hope so! But thats not even the issue. I would have shopped around for a warranty if I had known. Anyways, if anybody can help me out or recommend a warranty company that would cover my 2003 cl55 I would be much appreciative. Something just doesn't seem right about the whole situation though. Why sell me the warranty if they know or before they knew if it will be covered? In the meantime, it had a validation period of 30 days and 1000 miles, which I drove, otherwise I wouldn't have, in order to make the supposed warranty valid. Nevertheless, not too happy about the whole situation.

Yeah, they f-ed you quit a bit because if you want a warranty now, they require an inspection. Anything and everything that is wrong with the car has to be fixed first, then you are allowed to purchase it.

If I were you I'd raise hell and make the dealer fix the light.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:37 PM

2003 cl55 (sold)
Yeah, they f-ed you quit a bit because if you want a warranty now, they require an inspection. Anything and everything that is wrong with the car has to be fixed first, then you are allowed to purchase it.

If I were you I'd raise hell and make the dealer fix the light.
I'm raising hell everywhere I go and finally (slowly) getting somewhere. Just took it to MB of San Diego today, talked to the warranty people and a new rep who said they'll get me my warranty but in the meantime send them the estimate so I can get back on the road..... well see.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:39 PM

I can't afford
I'm raising hell everywhere I go and finally (slowly) getting somewhere. Just took it to MB of San Diego today, talked to the warranty people and a new rep who said they'll get me my warranty but in the meantime send them the estimate so I can get back on the road..... well see.
Aren't airbags covered a little longer then the bumper to bumper warranty. Like emissions components are 5 year 80k I belive.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 PM

2019 E63s AMG Sedan, 2021 Range Rover Autobiography "50", 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
That's your service departments fault. Take it somewhere where they know how to present the claim to the warranty company.
Trust me, they know how to present claims. Problem is, hoses are excluded in the EasyCare contract. My argument is that some of these ABC lines aren't typical hoses, they are major components of the suspension system. No sale. EasyCare underwriters will cross-reference part numbers on the repair order, and if any rubber hoses are involved, whether they are all rubber or rubber and metal, they are considered wear and tear items and are not covered. I suggested that the service advisor call the hose something else like a line or conduit or vessel or anything else he could think of, and it didn't work. They WILL look up the parts to verify.

Unfortunately, these warranty companies' priorities are not to pay out claims, they're in business to take our money.

Last edited by v8plus4; 01-29-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 AM

2003 cl55 (sold)
Aren't airbags covered a little longer then the bumper to bumper warranty. Like emissions components are 5 year 80k I belive.
Well, I checked with MB San Diego and they said it is not under warranty. The fact that I could purchase an extended warranty for the car from the somewhat shady independent dealership was a key consideration upon buying it, especially considering the known electrical problems these cars tend to have (I know the cats out of the bag). But, how the hell does a dealer sell me the warranty for my car, then 2 months later, they haven't paid for it, I'm not in the system, I start making phone calls, then get a letter from the actual warranty people saying that my car (model, etc.) is not covered? Seems more than a little smelly. But then, I get in contact with the "local" representatives that tell me it will take some time for me to get in the system (why?) and that they would have to "deal with this one locally" for the SRS malfunction, whatever that means. Well, they told me to get an estimate and fax it to them, so only time will tell. But like you said, in the meantime, if for whatever reason it doesn't happen, I can't go shopping for warranty companies now. What if I had gotten in an accident, under the impression and having paid for the warranty, unable to get it fixed because of whatever problems between the car sales people and the warranty company (which was documented), my airbags didn't go off, and something happened. Seems like at best I'd have had a hell of a lawsuit, or at worst, wouldn't have been able to say anything at all..... But besides that, my car was sold November '02 as the '03 model, so if it is 5 years, the thing would be up anyway.... I know, good times. Still wouldn't trade the car for anything though, but probably would have gone with a different warranty company not associated the the sales people. Hindsight is 20/20.

By the way PeteCl55, didn't mean to try to hijack your thread, just had some warranty gripes of my own I thought I'd share, at the least to make me feel a bit better and share my ongoing experience/frustration.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Check out these warranty companys:

http://chryslerservicecontracts.com/

and

Mercury Insurance

Make sure you go with an in-state california co from a major insurance co or car dealer, not an Adminstrator Co. If not, most of these guys sooner or later declare B/K. I know, I was one of their creditors.

Good Luck.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:47 PM

I can't afford
Trust me, they know how to present claims. Problem is, hoses are excluded in the EasyCare contract. My argument is that some of these ABC lines aren't typical hoses, they are major components of the suspension system. No sale. EasyCare underwriters will cross-reference part numbers on the repair order, and if any rubber hoses are involved, whether they are all rubber or rubber and metal, they are considered wear and tear items and are not covered. I suggested that the service advisor call the hose something else like a line or conduit or vessel or anything else he could think of, and it didn't work. They WILL look up the parts to verify.

Unfortunately, these warranty companies' priorities are not to pay out claims, they're in business to take our money.
You claim the hoses as a shock or something small like that. 9 times out of 10 they will not send an inspector out. Unless the shop has been suspected of pulling scams or the car being serviced has had many claims.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by m_berman
Check out these warranty companys:

http://chryslerservicecontracts.com/

and

Mercury Insurance

Make sure you go with an in-state california co from a major insurance co or car dealer, not an Adminstrator Co. If not, most of these guys sooner or later declare B/K. I know, I was one of their creditors.

Good Luck.
I've heard good things about the DaimlerChrysler contracts as well as Mercury. I do know that Mercury won't write 600's, not sure about AMG's.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:46 PM

You claim the hoses as a shock or something small like that. 9 times out of 10 they will not send an inspector out. Unless the shop has been suspected of pulling scams or the car being serviced has had many claims.
ABC hoses are expensive items that won't pass as something small. You're right about them not always sending inspectors, but they do check part numbers on repair orders to make sure the right parts are used to repair the vehicle. The scam you're suggesting might work if the repair shop is willing to cook their own books and submit false work orders, but I doubt I'd be willing to do business with such a shop.

I still think the warranty is worth having, especially on a CL600. I haven't had to use it yet, but I'm sure I'll get my money's worth in the long run.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:22 PM

01' CL55 AMG, 86' 560SL
Well, I checked with MB San Diego and they said it is not under warranty. The fact that I could purchase an extended warranty for the car from the somewhat shady independent dealership was a key consideration upon buying it, especially considering the known electrical problems these cars tend to have (I know the cats out of the bag). But, how the hell does a dealer sell me the warranty for my car, then 2 months later, they haven't paid for it, I'm not in the system, I start making phone calls, then get a letter from the actual warranty people saying that my car (model, etc.) is not covered? Seems more than a little smelly. But then, I get in contact with the "local" representatives that tell me it will take some time for me to get in the system (why?) and that they would have to "deal with this one locally" for the SRS malfunction, whatever that means. Well, they told me to get an estimate and fax it to them, so only time will tell. But like you said, in the meantime, if for whatever reason it doesn't happen, I can't go shopping for warranty companies now. What if I had gotten in an accident, under the impression and having paid for the warranty, unable to get it fixed because of whatever problems between the car sales people and the warranty company (which was documented), my airbags didn't go off, and something happened. Seems like at best I'd have had a hell of a lawsuit, or at worst, wouldn't have been able to say anything at all..... But besides that, my car was sold November '02 as the '03 model, so if it is 5 years, the thing would be up anyway.... I know, good times. Still wouldn't trade the car for anything though, but probably would have gone with a different warranty company not associated the the sales people. Hindsight is 20/20.

By the way PeteCl55, didn't mean to try to hijack your thread, just had some warranty gripes of my own I thought I'd share, at the least to make me feel a bit better and share my ongoing experience/frustration.
No problem... you are definitely in a bigger bind than I am. I hope it all works out for you.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:43 PM

I can't afford
ABC hoses are expensive items that won't pass as something small. You're right about them not always sending inspectors, but they do check part numbers on repair orders to make sure the right parts are used to repair the vehicle. The scam you're suggesting might work if the repair shop is willing to cook their own books and submit false work orders, but I doubt I'd be willing to do business with such a shop.

I still think the warranty is worth having, especially on a CL600. I haven't had to use it yet, but I'm sure I'll get my money's worth in the long run.
That's a shop you would want to do business with as they are saving you money. I understand where you are coming from though.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:04 AM

01' CL55 AMG, 86' 560SL
Originally Posted by PeteCL55
Hi everyone... I just purchased a 2001 Cl55 AMG and am a new member of MBWorld. I was just wondering if you guys had any advice for me about this car or is there anything that I should know? Ex) Any recalls out there? Any common issues with this car that I should look out for? Also, I am looking to purchase an extended warranty. Do any of you use an aftermarket warranty company that you can recommend? My car is a 2001 with 59k miles... I am looking for a somewhat "bumper to bumper" coverage.

Pete
Thank you all for your input. After discussing with my mechanic and doing some research, I've decided to buy a warranty called "Total Protection Plan" from Prizm. My mechanic deals with this company often and said that they are pretty good about paying for repairs and easy to deal with. The policy that I am buying is the "Supreme" coverage and covers EVERYTHING including ABC suspension issues. It doesn't cover the obvious wear and tear items... brakes, tires, wipers, belts, etc. This is one of the only policies that will cover the ABC components which was a huge concern of mine.

The price: 3 years/36K miles - $3,800, 0 deductible.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CL55, Range Rover, Lexus LX470
I can't understand why so many of you all are having problems with warranty company's, I just bought an 03 SL55 with 29K and ran a car-fax on it before buying it of course and on the car-fax page it provides a link for, Do You Need An Extended Warranty, so I clicked on it and gave the pertinent info and moments later a rep phoned me at home with a quote. I received an OEM warranty 4 years 100K for $3,700.00 As for my 04 CL55 I just bought her too about a week after I bought the SL and she had 46K on her, I was able to get a 4 year 54K additional miles warranty for it costing me $1,790.00 Now both my new cars qualified for the car-fax buy back program so I don't know if that had to do with anything, but some things I do know is that first make sure they pay by corporate credit card, they list the items only that they do not cover and not focus on the items that they do cover, call the co. and ask specific questions about your kompressor, ABC, valve blocks, computers, electronic switches, alternator, starter, trans, hard top, calibers. rotors, nav system, seals & gaskets etc. That's what I did and I have a $100.00 deductible on both my cars. I was optimistic at first but I really scrutinized both policies before committing and not to mention all Car-fax warranty's are backed by car-fax and Capital One Bank maybe that means something to you it did for me. With warranty co's u really don't know due to there being so many of them, u just have to research them and ask good questions. So in closing I really can't understand Y the few of you are having such a hard time with the warranty issue?? Pm me and i'll give you the specifics of the two companies that I have, my Sl is in the shop and I left my packet for it in the glove box but i'll be able to square you away I want to help anyone that needs it. Ranger Out!

Last edited by charles pearson; 02-10-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by PeteCL55

Pete
Visit www.carfax.com and click on the link, Do You need an Extended Warranty. AAA warranty is also one I have been told is decent, (888)222-4445 (X202)
Old 02-10-2008, 08:08 PM

Hey, try www.autorepairwarranty.com they just quoted me on an 02 CL55 with 80K for $2,099.00 4years 60K additional miles bumper to bumper with no inspection required. This 02 Cl I own I'm selling and it does not qualify for a car-fax buy back program. I thought I should mention to you that the 01 an 02 CL55's are problematic, I had nightmares from mine everything had gone wrong with it, ABC pump, valve blocks, trunk closer, alternator both rear shocks needed to be replaced. The catalytic converter u have two, needed to be replaced but they were covered under the 80K manufacture warranty. Good luck to you; should of tried for a 04 CL55 you would like it better, DVD based Nav system and its a Kompressor; 01 has 355hp 04 has 493hp.

Last edited by charles pearson; 02-10-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:48 PM

I can't afford
Originally Posted by charles pearson
Hey, try www.autorepairwarranty.com they just quoted me on an 02 CL55 with 80K for $2,099.00 4years 60K additional miles bumper to bumper with no inspection required. This 02 Cl I own I'm selling and it does not qualify for a car-fax buy back program. I thought I should mention to you that the 01 an 02 CL55's are problematic, I had nightmares from mine everything had gone wrong with it, ABC pump, valve blocks, trunk closer, alternator both rear shocks needed to be replaced. The catalytic converter u have two, needed to be replaced but they were covered under the 80K manufacture warranty. Good luck to you; should of tried for a 04 CL55 you would like it better, DVD based Nav system and its a Kompressor; 01 has 355hp 04 has 493hp.
That sounds too cheap. And why is there no inspection required? They always require an inspection so they don't have to pay for pre existing problems.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
get your MAF changed
Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 PM

That sounds too cheap. And why is there no inspection required? They always require an inspection so they don't have to pay for pre existing problems.
Don't ask me I don't know why there is no inspection required, maybe because both my cars qualify for a car-fax buy back maybe?? Or maybe it depends on what state you live in. This is my 4th Benz and I have bought warranties before since I've lived in Georgia and used them with no problems at all so I don't know really what to tell you . Hey i just got off the phone while responding to you, I asked a good friend of mine who is into collecting cars and he told me that some states have stiffer laws and inspections are required hummm food for thought were do you live?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New CL55 owner... need advice