CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

SL63 Speedshift MCT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:29 AM
ieb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63 030 Blk/Blk
SL63 Speedshift MCT

The full article appears here;, http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...enz-SL/230878/

"What sets the SL63 apart from its rangemates, though, is its gearbox. It’ll be the first Mercedes to use a new seven-speed robotised paddleshift manual 'box from AMG called Speedshift MCT. This system uses a single compact wet start-up clutch rather than a torque converter, conveying power directly to the car’s driveline.

The MCT system will have four drive modes, be capable of double-declutching and have a Race Start function guaranteeing the quickest possible take-off. In manual mode it’s capable of swapping the SL’s cogs in just a tenth of a second and, says Stuttgart, it will give the SL63 a more stirring, visceral driving experience than any previous SL."

Based on other reports about a facelift S around 2011 with similar headlights as the new SL, I think that a revised CL63 with updated cosmetics and gearbox, and maybe the blip down feature around 2011/12 can be expected.

The SL63 may be very appealing but you know that I absolutely LOVE my CL63 03 and given the above information see no reason to trade again at least until 2012.

I have 4000 miles and the car just keeps getting stronger and smoother all the time. There is some oil consumption of around 1 quart per 1000 miles and my dealer checked with MB. MB says this this is normal and that the 63 engine is not fully broken in until 15000 miles. So the best is still to come!

Last edited by ieb; 02-06-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by ieb
"What sets the SL63 apart from its rangemates, though, is its gearbox. It’ll be the first Mercedes to use a new seven-speed robotised paddleshift manual 'box from AMG called Speedshift MCT. This system uses a single compact wet start-up clutch rather than a torque converter, conveying power directly to the car’s driveline.

The MCT system will have four drive modes, be capable of double-declutching and have a Race Start function guaranteeing the quickest possible take-off. In manual mode it’s capable of swapping the SL’s cogs in just a tenth of a second and, says Stuttgart, it will give the SL63 a more stirring, visceral driving experience than any previous SL."
It's about time AMG offered something other than just slush boxes. Not that they aren't good and most wouldn't stick with them, but others crave total control.

Last edited by Carl Lassiter; 02-06-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
"oil consumption of around 1 quart per 1000 miles"

Even a F car is lighter on oil than what you are experiencing. Hopefull it will resolve itself after break-in. Break-in should not be beyond 5K miles in anyone's book. Sounds like a snow job from your dealer.

Normal oil consumption should be between 1 to 2 quarts between oil changes and that should be calculated at 5K intervals not 10K depending on normal driving habits.

If you are hammering it at every stop lite, then 1 quart per 1000 miles could be normal.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 AM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
maybe it's more like one quart per 1500 miles. My friends tell me that I'm a bit heavy on the gas pedal.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:57 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
As much as, after 8K+ mis, I view my CL63 030 as the best overall driver's car today, have SL63 030 on-order (Apr build)....will decide if I'll trade-in CL63 for SL63 after a test-drive, but will opt for a new '09 CL63 030 instead if SL63 underwhelms....(from a tech/aesthetics/safety standpoint, would never keep any car more than 10-15K mis; would replace w/an identical new copy, even if no tech advances)...

As a tech fanatic, am intrigued by this MCT box....but, as a safety fanatic, have serious reservations re: the undoubtedly higher safety risks of a low-ride ht, short car lacking a rigid, fixed-roof....and those SL seat structures looks awfully ancient-tech vs CL63's....and those AirScarf vents/fans in head restraints look dangerous in any collision....

Would suspect CL63 will get MCT box for MY09....would observe that facelifted, <$100K CLS63 is getting the downshift blips and revised exhaust silencers for MY09....suspect AMG would want to quickly amortize its MCT R&D costs over more units of its $150K+ cars (esp if MCT is too expensive now for <$100K AMGs)....

BTW, not sure manual gearboxes are any faster/more stable/smoother on a mtn twisties road w/even a proficient amateur driver vs same car w/a fast/smart autobox w/fast, smart chassis/drivetrain computer networks....

Ferrari has already struggled with, and, IIRC, gave up on trying to create a functional Luddite manual box for 599.....it's becoming increasingly difficult to seamlessly synch human/mechanical/analog inputs re: gear selection vs the various dynamic computer inputs based on chassis/drivetrain parameters...

Personally, as a mediocre amateur driver, I prefer to maximize my precision/safety/emotive pleasure in driving on interesting roads (have zero interest in risk/reward of tracks in Podunk or in changing careers to become a pro racecar driver)....IMO, would rather focus on smooth, precise steering, braking and throttle inputs (and not gear selection) as I manage chassis dynamics while enjoying interesting exhaust music....
Old 02-06-2008, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by WSH
.(from a tech/aesthetics/safety standpoint, would never keep any car more than 10-15K mis; would replace w/an identical new copy, even if no tech advances)...
Could you please explain this as I'm at a complete loss.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2019 E63s AMG Sedan, 2021 Range Rover Autobiography "50", 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by WSH
from a tech/aesthetics/safety standpoint, would never keep any car more than 10-15K mis
Don't forget about the inconvenience/downtime involved when having the car serviced.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
I've never undestood the need to replace a car every 10K to 15K miles, like WSH does, but it is what it is.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 PM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
The thing about the first 2000 miles in a car like the CL63 or a Ferrari is that it’s very unique to experience the machine like perfection. The car is as tightly wound as Hillary!

On the other hand the looser more powerful and relaxed mode that the car moves into after a few thousand miles is very nice. In addition getting past the always initial few bugs and the break in service schedule combined with the high cost of very frequent trades make it more desirable to keep it for two or three years no mater how much money you have. Dealers are not your friend. If you want a friend get a dog.

I don’t like the gearbox on the M6 so if it shifts like that, I don’t want it. 0.3 sec is fine with me, don’t need no 0.1 sec shift.

Last edited by ieb; 02-06-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:22 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
If wanted to economize, yet maximize active/passive safety, could perhaps subsist on a new S63 (w/o Pano Roof) every 2 yrs....

Discretionary cars are...discretionary...

Increasingly tech-intensive cars have continual software/hardware advances/debugs, even intra-MY, e.g., BlindSpotAssist, etc....

Aesthetics...no matter how well-parked/detailed, small rock chips, etc are inevitable as miles accumulate.....

Safety....prefer to refresh new cars quickly to maximize exposure to cars w/fresh perf tires/wheels/brakes....suspect poor pavement in most of US causes various micro/macro wheel/tire deformations over time...and no one really knows shape of decay curves of tires/wheels/brakes vs use, esp on poor pavement....only a few feet of stopping dist delta can have signif implics for active safety...and prefer original factory-spec/installed stuff over any car post-dealer svc....

I also typically get new Blackberries every 6-12mos...smartphones, like any tech-intensive device, have a rapid obsolescence/upgrade cycle as well....but lack the critical safety (and liability) issues of driving perf cars...

Just my risk/reward bets based upon incomplete data....but to each his own....
Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM

WSH do you speak/talk/communicate like that in actual conversation/communication/dialogue? I take it/assume/deduct you are an engineer/professor/scientist by trade.

I wrote a memo recently/a while back/not long ago to my employees and found myself using WSHspeak subconciously/by accident/without realizing it and burst out into laughter/cracked up/LOL.

I queried/introspected/asked myself where did I derive this writing style...

Now I get it/understand/realize who is my guru/rolemodel/source of inspiration.

If I catch myself using the term "mountain twisties" anytime soon, I'm in deep trouble!

By the way WSH, I am in agreement with you concerning having your car as near perfect in every way but the only thing that you do miss out on is the enjoyment of the car after break in period. The first 1400 miles you cant drive her hard. There is also an "internal" break in period I hear at 5000 mi. Having only 1200 miles on Artica, I have yet to realize this Nirvatic moment but I sure hope I notice it. Also if you ever get to the point where you do any personalization to your car. wheels/exhaust/chip/etc, I think you will start to get a more personal attachment to your car. That is a very profound part of car ownership...loving YOUR car and not thinking of her as merly a tax write off.

Last edited by Barolo CLS; 02-06-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
Didn't anyone get this. I said - "The car is as tightly wound as Hillary"!

BTW, I was in soho last week and saw a white CL6X on Prince Street. It went by so fast that I couldn’t tell if it was a 63 or 65, and I think that it has a small wing on the back. Does anyone know who this is?

I thought that the white is very impressive and intimidating but lacks the more sinister and diabolical image that the car in black represents.

Last edited by ieb; 02-06-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ieb
BTW, I was in soho last week and saw a white CL6X on Prince Street. It went by so fast that I couldn’t tell if it was a 63 or 65, and I think that it has a small wing on the back. Does anyone know who this is?

I thought that the white is very impressive and intimidating but lacks the more sinister and diabolical image that the car in black represents.
ieb, I think i am somewhat qualified to chime in on white CL's...

This is my take on it.

I like all monotone colors on cars. White/grays/silver/black. I personally dont think that cars should include a color pallate.

Now, having owned many black cars, black is by far the hardest to keep clean. THe pollen film we get here in California on a daily basis forced me to wash my car 3 times a week. I'm too lazy for black.

Silvers and grays are neat but dont really like metallic cars, although I must say Brilliant silver is very nice on mercedes. The other problem is silver on a Benz is like brown on a turd. Must be the color of choice 5 to 1 over any other color. Far too common for me.

As far as gray goes, it has to be the right shade of gray. I don't know if you guys remember but Audi got gray right. That gray that the TT used to come in was right on point. Right darkenss and non-mettallic. Problem...Mercedes gray misses the mark by a mile. Titanium doesnt do it at all for me. Too bronzish and high metal flake.

Now, maintenance aside, as cool as black is, I like the color on non modded/stock cars. Sinister is a good word for it. Gives the stock car an aggresive edge.

For me, what works about white is this...If you are going to modify your car with painted cals/tint/wheels/wings etc, white provides your best palatte to highlight your mods. White is like a blank canvas. If you want the eye to focus on the art...lines of the car/shape of your wheels/contrast of your tinted windows/lowering of your suspension/ then only white give you that blank canvas to allow the creativity of your modifications to shine through with maximum impact.

Black and white are oppisite ends and I sufffice it to say....if you want the car manufacturer to look its best...black. If you want to highlight your touches and subtle improvements...white. If you wan't to blend and go unnoticed silver/grays.

Other than the SLR, Mercedes cars rarely draw crowds. I still think white draws the most subliminal attention from any other color, especially modded. It's like this...in black, one may say "I like that Benz", in white one would more likely say "I like his Benz".

flame suit on...

Last edited by Barolo CLS; 02-06-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
Barolo:

I agreee with all your points. I thought that the white car that I saw go by in a blur was absolutly breathtaking.

My only, comment to you is, please don't do the triple pipes!
Old 02-06-2008, 04:37 PM

what do you think about the stacked ovals from Autocouture?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by ieb
Didn't anyone get this. I said - "The car is as tightly wound as Hillary"!
You couldn't be more accurate. Mine just turned 9000 miles (5-30-07 delivery) and only in the past few thousand miles has the car just started to open up. It's virtually an entirely different CL than it was when originally delivered as everything from engine/exhaust sound to gas mileage has improved.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
You couldn't be more accurate. Mine just turned 9000 miles (5-30-07 delivery) and only in the past few thousand miles has the car just started to open up. It's virtually an entirely different CL than it was when originally delivered as everything from engine/exhaust sound to gas mileage has improved.
wow, I am looking forward to this new reality. Is there any proof or written docs pertaining to MB holding back on performance early in the engines lifecycle other than break in related restrictions? I know in Porsches there is information burned into the ECU after the car acquires data based on your driving habits. Is it confirmed that MB has the same open architecture software?