CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

What to look for when buying a 2003 CL55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to look for when buying a 2003 CL55?

What are some known issues with 2003 CL55's?
What kind of things should a buyer look for when looking at a low mile (30-40k) 2003 CL55's?

-thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by SSpray
What are some known issues with 2003 CL55's?
What kind of things should a buyer look for when looking at a low mile (30-40k) 2003 CL55's?

-thanks
Without an extended warranty, the car's values is greatly diminished. This is due to the fact that if the airmatic systems, tranny, major engine component or any of the electronics goes out. There is a potential to be facing an expensive repair bill.

You may wish to check out the cost of an extended warranty (if available) at: http://chryslerservicecontracts.com/

You can pay an MB dealer to perform a comprehensive inspection (place on rack & check out under carrage-look for oil leaks at seals, etc.). Get a carfax report. Also beware of:
1. Body/suspension work due to accidents-check with paint meter
2. Brakes/tire wear
3. Check repair history with MB Service
4. No flood or Hurricane Katrina Car
5. Get a NetStar printout from MB dealer-it has build sht info

Good Luck--it's all a function of $$.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:02 PM

I know 2003 E's should be avoid like the plague (I had an 03 E55), but I have not heard the same thing about the 2003 CL's.

Should the 2003 CL's also be avoided?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Mine has been pretty good but need to check make sure the intercooler pump works.. I had washer fuid line leak and the soft door close go out.. Everything else has just been normal up-keep. Great cars!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-02-2008, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
Check the windseals, watch for glass "clunking sound", auto trunk closer not closing properly, cd changer not found, abc problems, intercooler pump, make sure all the plastic is intact on the seat rails, that the storage compartment door on the seats aren't broken or damaged, that the vanity visor stays up so the light stays on, lug nuts arent rusting, SC doesn't shut off during heavy load, valve block sensors have been checked (caused my car to lean to one side) and anything else anyone can think of!
Old 11-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Mine has been pretty good but need to check make sure the intercooler pump works.. I had washer fuid line leak and the soft door close go out.. Everything else has just been normal up-keep. Great cars!
How do I check to make sure the intercooler pump is working?
Can I feel it or see it or or will the temp read something strange if it does not?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
Check the windseals, watch for glass "clunking sound", auto trunk closer not closing properly, cd changer not found, abc problems, intercooler pump, make sure all the plastic is intact on the seat rails, that the storage compartment door on the seats aren't broken or damaged, that the vanity visor stays up so the light stays on, lug nuts arent rusting, SC doesn't shut off during heavy load, valve block sensors have been checked (caused my car to lean to one side) and anything else anyone can think of!
How do I check for abc problems problems?
Any sure indicators that there are issues?
How about the SC shutting off under load? I have heard about that issue when I had my E55, but never experienced it. Will there just be a noticeable drop it power out of no where, under load?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
For ABC, make sure the dealership looks at all the hoses, clamps and the pump. At idle, after about 10 minutes parked, my car would try to re-level itself incorrectly. It would sometimes slouch down to one side (noticeable in and out of vehicle) If you use your abc and sport buttons and your height doesn't change at all thats also signs of a problem. Not sure if its an issue but, if car has been sitting (especially when its cold) the car will sit lower until I turn it on and put in reverse or drive. Then it sits up a bit. Strange, but common. As for the IC pump, its pretty evident when your car stops making the power it was making before. There can be a number of problems with the pump, the forums are filled w/ info on that. I could just tell, my car just wasn't pulling properly. I imagine some SDS tests would let you know if anything were faulty in that dept. also. Your best bet may be to get someone to accompany you who has an SDS computer who can run a diagnostic check on all those parameters.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:09 PM

2004 CL55
75,000 miles and nothing major (knock on wood)
Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Are the same issues noted for 02's as well or just 03's?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 PM

2003 cl55 (sold)
Take it 2 a MB dealership and pay the 200 or 300 or whatever for the inspection. Make sure it has a MB warranty and not some other aftermarket BS warranty.... and if it doesn't be prepared to shell out about $4k for one and it would be well worth it and this is why:
My ABC pump went out, not covered under BS warranty: $3000 outta pocket
My Nav quit, not covered under BS warranty: like 3 or 4k for refurb. Instead replaced with whole custom setup: paid $8000.
Numerous other things: SRS warning came on.... $600 for some sensors, pixels on climate control went out.... $600 (got a deal on it otherwise would have beenmuch more).... did have the visor problem....$135, trunk closing mechanism $600 and thats just the crap I remember (theres been a whole lot more) and I've only had it a year! Cl55s, especially 2003s are known for electrical problems, so, in retrospect, I probably would have gone a different route. End result is that I dropped the BS warranty company and bought a MB warranty so I feel much better now..... just wish I had done that in the beginning..... also, don't forget to check the brakes/rotors, and definitely take it to a autobody place to tell you if it has been repainted. I had mine "inspected" at an independent place (who didn't do that great of a job obviously) but it wasn't an autobody place.... So happens it was in a good accident on the left rear quarter panel and everything was replaced and repainted. Not shown on carfax (carfax=pretty much BS). Now, the clearcoat is showing cuz they did a crappy job repainting it but moreso it was sold to me as a car that had not been in an accident..... oh yeah, and they sold it to me with 3 cracked rims too. Less owners= better and make sure it was not a leased car. k, i'm done now.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by jicl55
Take it 2 a MB dealership and pay the 200 or 300 or whatever for the inspection. Make sure it has a MB warranty and not some other aftermarket BS warranty.... and if it doesn't be prepared to shell out about $4k for one and it would be well worth it and this is why:
My ABC pump went out, not covered under BS warranty: $3000 outta pocket
My Nav quit, not covered under BS warranty: like 3 or 4k for refurb. Instead replaced with whole custom setup: paid $8000.
Numerous other things: SRS warning came on.... $600 for some sensors, pixels on climate control went out.... $600 (got a deal on it otherwise would have beenmuch more).... did have the visor problem....$135, trunk closing mechanism $600 and thats just the crap I remember (theres been a whole lot more) and I've only had it a year! Cl55s, especially 2003s are known for electrical problems, so, in retrospect, I probably would have gone a different route. End result is that I dropped the BS warranty company and bought a MB warranty so I feel much better now..... just wish I had done that in the beginning..... also, don't forget to check the brakes/rotors, and definitely take it to a autobody place to tell you if it has been repainted. I had mine "inspected" at an independent place (who didn't do that great of a job obviously) but it wasn't an autobody place.... So happens it was in a good accident on the left rear quarter panel and everything was replaced and repainted. Not shown on carfax (carfax=pretty much BS). Now, the clearcoat is showing cuz they did a crappy job repainting it but moreso it was sold to me as a car that had not been in an accident..... oh yeah, and they sold it to me with 3 cracked rims too. Less owners= better and make sure it was not a leased car. k, i'm done now.
Very well said! Everyone looking to purchase should READ ABOVE!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:25 PM

2003 cl55 (sold)
Thank you.... if I can save anybody the trouble, time, aggravation and ridiculous expenses that I've endured, it was well worth it..... Would have done me good to read a post/semi-horror story like mine. Problem is, I know for myself, once I stepped into the Cl55 almost nobody could have talked me outta it cuz i instantly fell in love.... if someone could refrain and take their time, not acting on pure emotion (unlike me) it may well be worth it. Nevertheless, I do love the s**t outta my car now
Old 02-14-2009, 02:40 AM

2012 E350
WOW!!

Originally Posted by jicl55
Thank you.... if I can save anybody the trouble, time, aggravation and ridiculous expenses that I've endured, it was well worth it..... Would have done me good to read a post/semi-horror story like mine. Problem is, I know for myself, once I stepped into the Cl55 almost nobody could have talked me outta it cuz i instantly fell in love.... if someone could refrain and take their time, not acting on pure emotion (unlike me) it may well be worth it. Nevertheless, I do love the s**t outta my car now
I am currently pulling the trigger on a designo edition 03 cl55. It might have the BS warranty. Have to check it out when I see the car tomorrow. This car has over 70k miles on it and second owner car with full maintenance records. He claims its flawless. I'll see for myself. As far as the warranty is concerned, do MB sell warranty to cars with such high miles? The owner claims to have bought extended warrranty for $4000 from the dealer, about 4 months ago. I've looked at a few cl's the past few weeks but I prefer not to have black or silver. I am also looking at a 31k miles cl55 but has no warranty and guess what color, silver. I am just glad I searched and found this topic. I have to just sit back and take a methodical approach on a purchase such as this.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:00 PM

cl55
wow

I am looking at buying one also and have had good experince with mb cars in the past, but after reading this posting I am almost terrified to purchase a cl55 or any s/c benz car, was it just a fluke you bought a lemon car or does everyone else have so many problem with them also?

The air ride is understandable but all the other things seem like a maintence nightmare, I want to drive this car not have it at the dealer all the time! Does anyone have over 100k milage on there car? I am looking to buy around the 30k mark but dont want to trade it in after 2 years!!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:00 PM

2006 ML500
These are wonderful cars (I've had 2 CL's myself...) but be prepared for the maintenance. Seemed like I always had a "visit workshop" message and a ton of other issues...of course the suspension, but especially the keyless-go system that I don't think ever did work right!

Talking to my S.Advisor, he mentioned since the 550's came out, it is like a different world..they come in for oil changes and that's it. Finally sounds like they made some progress towards quality!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:27 PM

Yugos only
Bulletins

In addition to the above great tips make sure that all the Bulletins have been performed on the car. An MBUSA dealer can check for you if you have the VIN..

It is my understanding if they haven't been performed MBUSA will do them gratis.

I believe that you can get an MB warranty only if the car has <75k mile on it. Ask two or three MB dealers what they can do for you. The "finance manager" is the person who would know since they sell the things. I do not know if the MB warranty is transferrable. The seller should have a copy of the warranty and the booklets that come with it, and a dealer will know if the car has the CPO warranty. There are very few aftermarket warranty companies that will insure an AMG - none will warranty a Rover product!

BTW I have just over 30k on my 2005 and it is a pleasure to drive. The gas mileage on the highways increased at the 20k mark. I had the brake fluid changed at 30k miles - not in the service manual - at the advice of my diligent service advisor.

Love the car and the style. The 216 is a step mundane.

Last edited by ivanj; 09-07-2009 at 11:37 PM.