CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

WHY are OUR cars NOT POPULAR? with only 194 built?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1987 Buick GNX,SL65 Black, 1987 Buick Turbo Limited, 2010 GT500
WHY are OUR cars NOT POPULAR? with only 194 built?

Wanted------------------ Opinions...

I have owned 8 CL65's in the last 2 years....I currently own a 83k mile car and a S65.....

I have been trying to sell the CL65...with ZERO LUCK....I paid $35k...I am having a hard time getting $33k...WHY?

I can say well...the miles are too high...these cars are the old body style and the maintanance is expensive and people get scared....

The miles are nothing for a car with a $200k build quality....the car rides like 20k miles on it....why shouldnt it?

The body style is one of the best looking coupes ever built...gets as much looks as my GTR did...seriously
Maintanance? Oil change every 7500 miles and coils need to be replaced every 65k miles...nothing for a 600hp supercar...brakes are good for 2 sets of pads in the original rotors....or lets say $500 every 60k miles....

So I have come to the conclusion that people who prefer to buy E55's and C63's and other AMG's over a CL65 as well as a G37 or a M3....ARE just plain ignorant of the potential of these cars as well as the reliablity and ultra rarity...plain and simple...not buying a CL65 ..you should just not own a AMG...unless you have to have a sedan...

What other car can run low 11's at the track without working hard and with a/c seats....and look damn good doing it too?

With only 194 built and maybe less then 120 in the USA....people should be begging to buy them not sell them...IMO..

I have driven every kind of car...and I always prefer the CL65 over anything else...My GTR my S65 .....anything....

I know everybodys opinion varys...but come on the CL65 looks damn badass...runs incredible...considered classy by any woman...and is more reliable then any other supercar built....AND THEY SHOULD BE SELLING FOR LESS THEN A HYAUNDAI Genesis coupe? Or Infiniti G37?

End of STORY...had to get that off my mind....I am keeping the CL65..damn if I sell it for even $33k....way to much car for the money...and no regret owning the rarest supercar and most powerful production car in the world!!!
I will keep this one for some time...let the suckers buy lower end AMG's for more money...

Last edited by retardedmunk; 08-20-2010 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jaffa426 (11-29-2021)
Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
wow

you need a nap
Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 PM

Zaporozec heavily modded 36HP
happy pill?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
Not sure I have seen one if they are so rare..

Got pictures...You got my appetite wetted, I am also pretty rare, only
1 built..Need a rare car to go with me..
Old 08-20-2010, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
Originally Posted by retardedmunk

I have owned 8 CL65's in the last 2 years....I currently own a 83k mile car and a S65.....

I have been trying to sell the CL65...with ZERO LUCK....I paid $35k...I am having a hard time getting $33k...WHY?

I can say well...the miles are too high...these cars are the old body style and the maintanance is expensive and people get scared....

The miles are nothing for a car with a $200k build quality....the car rides like 20k miles on it....why shouldnt it?

The body style is one of the best looking coupes ever built...gets as much looks as my GTR did...seriously
Maintanance? Oil change every 7500 miles and coils need to be replaced every 65k miles...nothing for a 600hp supercar...brakes are good for 2 sets of pads in the original rotors....or lets say $500 every 60k miles....

So I have come to the conclusion that people who prefer to buy E55's and C63's and other AMG's over a CL65 as well as a G37 or a M3....ARE just plain ignorant of the potential of these cars as well as the reliablity and ultra rarity...plain and simple...not buying a CL65 ..you should just not own a AMG...unless you have to have a sedan...

What other car can run low 11's at the track without working hard and with a/c seats....and look damn good doing it too?

With only 194 built and maybe less then 120 in the USA....people should be begging to buy them not sell them...IMO..

I have driven every kind of car...and I always prefer the CL65 over anything else...My GTR my S65 .....anything....

I know everybodys opinion varys...but come on the CL65 looks damn badass...runs incredible...considered classy by any woman...and is more reliable then any other supercar built....AND THEY SHOULD BE SELLING FOR LESS THEN A HYAUNDAI Genesis coupe? Or Infiniti G37?

End of STORY...had to get that off my mind....I am keeping the CL65..damn if I sell it for even $33k....way to much car for the money...and no regret owning the rarest supercar and most powerful production car in the world!!!
I will keep this one for some time...let the suckers buy lower end AMG's for more money...
The CL65 is a great car and is very very fast. However it is far from being the "most powerful production car in the world. How about some pics of your CL65 cause after reading your post I think you drive a bicycle.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
In my opinion, the answer is fairly straightforward. The main reason why the CL65 AMG is rare and not as popular is because Mercedes also produces the S65 AMG and SL65 AMG.

What advantage does the CL65 AMG have over those 2 other cars?

There is no significant performance advantage. If the customer wants to carry more than 2 people or luggage, the S65 is the most obvious choice with 4 doors. If the customer wants open top motoring, the SL65 is there........got bad weather??........just close the hard top roof of the SL65 and you're driving with coupe like comfort.

The only thing the CL65 offers over a S65 or SL65 is the status and look of a FULL SIZE 2 door coupe. And that may not be enough for many people to spend big bucks on.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

PC...the most intelligent answer--

But PC...I am talking in the used car world...new I can understand your reason but comparing a $35k car used now that was once $200k....it changes the game....by comparison to other cars for the same amount or say $20k more the CL65 is 5x better the car for less money

Took my nap...thanks.....
If you put the rarity of the car in perspective it doesnt make sense as to why 10% of the production is up for sale at any given moment....

I wrote the thread to see what other owners opinions are....not to cry or whine about my car...I love the car...just cant see reason as to why other people dont....it truly is the perfect package..outside of the gas mileage

Yes it is the most powerful production car in the world....
I am talking a PRODUCTION car...a car you can go to the dealer and purchase on the floor...not a car that needs to be ordered

It produces 750 ft lbs of torque....no other production car does that....PERIOD...name one please?
Torque moves mass not HP....I think we all know this---so all the HP junkies ...TORQUE is POWER ...Not HP....
The 65's have been written up in a lot of articles in Auto Mags mentioning the fact of it being the most powerful car built in the world...
I dont have to explain anymore...it simply is....

The Bugatti Veyron is a pre-ordered car basis car....not a production car
This would be the only car that would trump the 65's....

Last edited by retardedmunk; 08-21-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Ok, I'll bite. Funny thing is that I like the CL65, but I completely disagree with you. You are trying to sell a car with 83k miles and you are wondering why people are not bringing you flowers. A lot of sellers don't get it. People have choices. To sell such a car you'll have to fund a specific buyer that will probably pay cash, because financing is not do easy and said buyer would specifically be looking for a high mileage CL65. You are also minimizing the potential repair and maintenance costs of such a car which wi have zero warranty. Cmon! If this car is the cats meow, why have you owned 8 of them in only 2 years. You seem like a car seller or brocker who is now stuck with a car non one wants to buy. Insulting those who prefer other cars won't help you sell yours. About production numbers: I find it very odd when seemingly intelligent people fall for the whole production number bs. Production numbers reflect the manufactures estimate of how many such cars they can sell. It is not always a reflection of some intrinsic value. Limited production cars exist because the manufacturer does not think they can sell many of them. Example: R63.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 08-21-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
Old 08-21-2010, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
It's fairly simple. The reason the car is not selling is that it still carries the same maintenance cost of a $200,000 car but with horrible resale and worse reliability than other high end cars. The ones that want the maintenance of a $200,000 car are looking at Ferrari or Lamborghini and not a CL65. Since the CL Mercedes has such a horrible reputation for reliability, higher mileage cars magnify the risk and will scare most potential buyers. If anything significant fails...... like the engine, it will cost more than the car is worth to fix.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by BlownV8
It's fairly simple. The reason the car is not selling is that it still carries the same maintenance cost of a $200,000 car but with horrible resale and worse reliability than other high end cars. The ones that want the maintenance of a $200,000 car are looking at Ferrari or Lamborghini and not a CL65. Since the CL Mercedes has such a horrible reputation for reliability, higher mileage cars magnify the risk and will scare most potential buyers. If anything significant fails...... like the engine, it will cost more than the car is worth to fix.
Bingo!!!

Retardedmunk:

I think you are understating some of the maintenance costs. Spark plug changes are recommended at 5 years or around 50K miles. The stealers charge $1,200 because it is literally a 6 hour job (my buddy who is a Master Tech swore that it couldn't be done any quicker as the plugs are buried under so much stuff) and there are 24 plugs to replace. You also didn't address the brake rotors. Having replaced the front and rears on my old CL65, I know it is over $4K at the stealership for all four corners.

I know you have stated that you think these cars don't need extended warranties....but I would respectfully disagree. I paid $3,100 for a DiamlerChrysler Service contract a few years back. That warranty paid out over $6K just in ABC/suspension work. I think it has now become more difficult to find a reasonable extended warranty now that these cars our likely outside their factory warranty period.

The dealer that took my car in on trade tried to sell it for 4 months before letting it go to auction. The last sales price they posted was $2K below my trade in value (they started their pricing at $5K over my trade in value). I consider myself lucky to get what I got (plus the $2,500 in sales tax credit toward my purchase).

Tom

Last edited by TMC M5; 08-21-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Banned

WTF ?

TED production numbers represent rarity to the masses. 8k Z06's r made yearly .....easy to get one and many to choose from now u take a CL65 with less then 1% of that production. Simply states supply and demand. The demand is not there. Yes a fear of miles or costs. But that is not the case. It is ignorance to the car itself is what keeps them on the market....

And TED I don't want flowers. But when a supercar is selling for the price of a Used CAMARO SS..and is equally reliable to a degree .....None should be for sale IMO

Anything under 100k miles I can get a 5.65 rate at 72 months. THis is what I am offered now to finance the car ......the current book value on my car is $53k. Loan VALUE

So for less then $600 a month to own a car someone once paid $3500 a month to lease..not bad!!!

Hell the new CTS v COUPE. Gorgeous car is at best $68k. Same gas mileage as a CL65 yet less powerful
Ofcourse it is a new car.... But u will be paying $1200 a month plus in the first year u will lose $18k...
Yes u get a warranty but in the end I will take my CL65 until the CTS comes to $40k

Where can I get that Lambo or Ferrari for $40k?? Lol. Good one. I WILL BUY 5 !!!!! BUT NO thanks
In the first year I will be out of pocket $15k on repairs....BEEN there!!!
And the maintenance is 10x worse on one of those cars.... Only a handful of Lambo or Ferrari mechanics around and the parts and Labor is insane....

I can make a call or look for 2 min and get any part for a AMG.... Easy and the price on parts or a 1/4 of a Lambo or Ferrari

Guess what the Cl65 is quicker and much better built for reliability then any Ferrari or Lambo.

How many 10 sec Lambos or Ferrrais u know that do track nights weekly and are running over 50k miles with major tunes? NONE!!!
Please a ridiculous caparison.

The point I was trying to make is the CL65 is more powerful and more RELIABLE then any exotic built.....

Yes I have owned a few of these cars. Very addicted u might say.

MAINTANANCE??? U R joking? Spending $2700 every 4 years on plugs and coils is out of line? The car has 600 plus hp. That is nothing for what u r getting. I can name 10 cars that cost more then that for that service and dont have 600hp and run low 11's

Brakes? Anybody who goes to a stealership should be on meds. I use the best independent Benz mechanic in south Florida.... At less then half the cost of a dealer

You can get 2 sets of pads on the original set of rotors. Cost for brakes $450
For a good 4 years based on replacement at 30k miles. I have gotten 60k miles on one set of AMG brakes before....I just bought a used set of front rotors 5k miles for $400 as well. Good for atleast another 60k miles of pads

OMG. This is braking the bank. Lol

STRUTS? U can buy them for $750 per corner and for less then $1100 a corner they can be installed.
My S55 with 133k miles had one replaced in 6 years.... Again not expensive

WARRANTY. RELIABILITY?? NOPE not the 65..... THEY R BULLETPROOF.

STRUTS? u can get them on

struts

Last edited by retardedmunk; 08-21-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's freakin' hilarious. Dependable? Have you not read many of the threads on ABC failure. I know I spent over $10,000 on my CL the last year I owned the car. After I replaced all those parts, it may have been dependable for a while but the problems I had with mine are proving to be repeated on every other CL in due time.

Good luck with your sale but calling the 215 CL dependable is a farse. I had to replace the coil packs, ABC pump 2x, just about every hydraulic hose, seat fan, idler pulley, intercooler pump, ETC, ETC........ If you have not had problems, you are, by far, the exception to the rule.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
I guess your original post was really a rhetorical question...

Tom
Old 08-22-2010, 01:42 AM
Banned

I am thinking about a theory

Every 65 I have owned. I keep the abc in sport mode. I am careful on the potholes I encounter. I avoid them. The CL65 I have now has all the original struts. And the pump. Lines etc all r in exc condition from a visual inspection.....maybe there is a correlation to higher miles and more the car is used as well as how it is driven to where the issues come in? I think it may be the case....

Point When I got my car the fan in the driver sets was making noise and not working right. After a few times using it. It is fine. I really feel it wasn't used much so the parts got stagnant.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal

Why no demand? Answer: repair issues (as already discussed); dated-looking; heavy-yet-tiny-inside; no panache/prestige (what little it had when it was first released is gone--sort of like the 21st Century version of a C4 Corvette). Frankly, nobody cares if it was a million-dollar car five years ago. . . today it is a relative dinosaur. Put simply, the CL was one of MBZ's worst designs in terms of the sportiness/practicality equation (the CL had neither). And yes, I have driven one.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 AM

2000 CL500 1992 300SE
Old 08-22-2010, 10:19 AM

2000 CL500 1992 300SE
Originally Posted by Vomit
Why no demand? Answer: repair issues (as already discussed); dated-looking; heavy-yet-tiny-inside; no panache/prestige (what little it had when it was first released is gone--sort of like the 21st Century version of a C4 Corvette). Frankly, nobody cares if it was a million-dollar car five years ago. . . today it is a relative dinosaur. Put simply, the CL was one of MBZ's worst designs in terms of the sportiness/practicality equation (the CL had neither). And yes, I have driven one.
I disagree. No panache or prestige?!?
My CL500 is plenty roomy and still gets plenty of compliments. It's no Ferrari (which has far less interior space and far higher maintenace costs) but it is readily acknowledged as one of the most gorgeous GT cars ever made.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't agree with this assesment at all other than the repairs but we've already covered that part of the equation. My CL always got compliments wherever I went. It was and is an amazing design. In fact, I think it is much better looking car than the 216 CL. The CL can fit a child seat in the back or carry an adult on a short trip so it had definte practicality. It was also nice to have a full size trunk. The car was very sporty with 600+ hp.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
The CL trunk is bigger than your whole C-Class

Last edited by Das Geld 2; 08-22-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Banned

The answers r getting better. ......

Thanks Blown. Yes I agree. I love the 216. But the rear looks exactly like a Acura CL and it is too Generic .....

VOMIT.......LOL....u may of driven one highly doubtful it was a biturbo and if it was u woukd own one now.......Out of style? 80% of MERECEDES line now is copycat generic....Except just 3 of the higher end cars......S and SLS and CL

Fact : CL's get the best technology first and are the lowest production of the Mercedes line...... I have been told from 2000-2006 less then 3000 CL's were made yearly including AMG's. Making them even more rare now. I see a older CL like 3-4 times a month. i see a CTS every 5 min and a new E class every 10 min......Personally since the car has been out of production for 4 years. It is even more of an attention getter. It was and still is considered the best looking Benz built in the last 10 years by many MAGAZINES....My CL's always get looks and stares. When u see a car like this one. A pillar less coupe with v12 BITURBO on the fender. Sorry folks who disagree but being an owner of a few ultra exotics .... The CL65 stands out by far......

I just picked up a C class for a friend... 30k miles. $26k. And a CL65 is just $8k more then the rental car u see on the road all day? Lol

Now the v12 is obsolete in the next few months. If not even now on the production line. Our cars will be the King Dinosaurs that once ruled and will always have respect and prestige

Last edited by retardedmunk; 08-22-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
To begin with, yes, the CL is an incredible car with many many features.

But it's in a tough market, plain and simple.

The CL is a full size cruiser with all the bells and whistles. People mostly buy cars for three reasons - utility, prestige, or sportiness. I think it's safe to assume that most people who come to buy a 2 door Mercedes are looking for something sporty with prestige (utility not so much). That's satisfied the small and sporty SLK, sport coupe CLK, or big boy sporty SL. All of those are cheaper, sportier, and have the option to be a convertible when compared to the CL. The CL is in a niche market that you're approaching with the type, style, and most of all, pricetag.

Whatever your new price may be (because it may warrant it due to the technology and features), the market is what's going to determine it's real value. If the CL sold 100,000 units a year, sure, it'd definitely be different for you. But the simple fact is that it doesn't because it's not built for the majority of customers out there.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by Das Geld
The CL trunk is bigger than your whole C-Class
It is true that there is a certain irony in someone who drives MBZ's previous generation, entry-level sedan (the C-Class--albeit the AMG version) critiquing the CL. I appreciate the jab. That said, maybe you can put passengers #2 and #3 in that big CL trunk, because they certainly are not fitting in that CL back seat unless they are very small. Even my plebian C-Class can transport three six footers comfortably.

That said, I stand by what I said. The CL is very heavy for what it offers inside, and the styling has not aged well, IMO (but that, of course, is purely subjective). I have driven both the CL500 and the CL55. Have not driven the 65. I am sure that it is several steps above the 55, but I would still (as someone else commented) have a difficult time justifying the CL over the SL. Would I trade my C32 for a CL65? Of course! Would I spend 200K for a CL65? Never. Would I spend 35K for a CL65? Hmmm. . . now you got me thinking
Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM

His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Fact : CL's get the best technology first and are the lowest production of the Mercedes line...... I have been told from 2000-2006 less then 3000 CL's were made yearly including AMG's.
Well... OK... Actually, a few more than 3000 CL's were produced during those years.

The V12 is obsolete? Really? What will MB stuff in the 2012 CL65? A V-5? Yes, I typed v-5.

The CL65 is not a car for everyone. If you constantly worry about fuel economy, this car is not for you.
If you complain about spending 3 grand every 60K miles for front brakes, it's not for you..
If you can't afford a tune-up, it's not for you. Someone mentioned it takes 6 hours to do a tune-up at the dealership. I can personally complete a spark plug change in about 2 hours. Why? Because I've changed the spark plugs every 15-20K miles on mine. It's not hard.

Same goes for oil changes, transmission fluid changes, rear differential, etc. If you ignore the oil(s), it will come and bite you on the *** later on down the road.

And quit it with the most powerful production car, people! It's not! I was at one time, but not anymore. Furthermore, you all are missing one little thing... weight! A car that makes 738ft lbs of torque and weighs 5000lbs will accelerate about as quickly as a car that makes 370ft lbs of torque and weighs 2500 lbs. So, naturally, it's not the quickest, either.

For it's size, the CL65 is a heavy ****.

Status, prestige, . The main reason I drive a CL65 is because it blends in so well. I don't know where people get the idea the CL65 is such an attention *****. It's not. Most people don't know what AMG is, let alone what CL65 means. They see the Mercedes star, and think "oh... another Mercedes".

Hell, I have passengers in cars that pass me on the highway do double and triple takes when they chance to see the fender badges. Why? Because they didn't know what kind of a Mercedes the car was as their car was passing mine. And then, they look down read V12 BITURBO, look forward, and then what they just read sinks in and they snap their heads back to the badges to make sure they read it right. Happens almost every day.

Resale: If you worry about resale, this car isn't for you. It's really that simple.
Attached Thumbnails WHY are OUR cars NOT POPULAR? with only 194 built?-screen-shot-2010-08-22-12.39.34-.jpg  

Last edited by Sathinas; 08-22-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:08 PM

2000 CL500 1992 300SE
Besides all that, Mercedes coupes are for personal luxury and if I wanted to serve as a taxi cab, I'd buy an S Class sedan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: WHY are OUR cars NOT POPULAR? with only 194 built?