CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Aftermarket wheels - disadvantages?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB CL63, BMW 328i
Aftermarket wheels - disadvantages?

I am a new owner of a CL63 and it is the exact car that I wanted aside from it not coming equipped with the 030 package. I am not particularly fond of the non-030 AMG wheels and would like to explore the advantages/disadvantages of getting aftermarket wheels. If anyone could give me some feedback on the following (perhaps naive) questions I'd appreciate it:
  • Do non-OEM wheels in any way void the warranty?
  • Would any changes need to be make to the brakes? Depend on the wheel?
  • Are most higher-end aftermarket wheels considered to be better (weight, heat dissipation, etc.) than the stock wheels?
  • If the wheels are larger than the stock wheels (22" versus 20") does this effect how car speed (and odometer reading, etc.) is displayed? Can re-calibration be done?
  • Anything else I neglected to ask that I should be sure to consider?
Thanks in advance for anyone who can chime in!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
A few things on aftermarket...

If you get 20's or 22's the ride will be rougher, if you must go no more than 20's that are forged not cast. Speaking from experience, I would not go with 20's rough ride as I said, and you run the risk of damaging your rims. 2 cracked one's (they were cast), 1 bent. Forged are much stronger, but they can be bent if hit hard enough.

The speedometer calibration will be affected according to what size tires you get. When you buy your rims (before) the seller should advise you on what tire size you should get so as to not cause this issue.

You need to get rims that will not cause an issue with big brakes, again the seller of your rims should advise you, and definitely mention you have an AMG.

Ask some rim shops that are sponsors here such as B.Gorman, HRE, etc to advise you.