CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

ABC Theory

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL 65 AMG - TUNED
ABC Theory

Hi Everyone,

So I have a theory and wanted to see if it makes sense to you guys. I've had my '05 CL65 for nearly 3 years now - love it - and in that time it's gone through 3 of the high pressure / bleed off lines. The U shaped line that comes right of the ABC pump, loops under the engine and can been seen when you look down between the radiator and the engine block. Oxygen posted some wonderful ABC pics and write up re: the pump and this hose a few years back if I recall.

After the last replacement I decided to just keep the car in ABC sport - what the hell I like the stiffer ride so might as well enjoy it between hose replacements I thought. It's been in Sport mode now for about 7 months and so far not a single leak.

I know the actual pressure in the ABC system doesn't change from comfort to sport, so the theory is that with same pressure, it is routed away from the single 'over pressure' hose to be delivered equally over the 4 ABC struts, in essence distributing the overall pressure across the system vs. a single point - thus less stress / pressure on that single hose.

What do you think? Nonsense? ?

Curious on your thoughts.

Cheers all.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Here's my speculation...

When the car is in ABC Sport, individual corner valves open when the sensors detect lean. When they open, pressure is sent to the corner, lifting it to compensate for the lean caused by the accumulator.

When the car is not in Sport mode, the valves would not open.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I always drove my car in sport. It didn't matter one bit. The ABC still had issues.