CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

cracked fender poll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minicooper s, jeep, ml 55, mbz 600 sl
RE those cracks

I am an aviation wrench turner and in aluminum you have to drill stop the crack to keep it from spreading. Of course this won't help if its visible from the outside but if it just started, locate the end of the crack and drill a small hole then try the epoxy it may save some of you (no warranty implied! ).
I am considering jumping back into the world of amg with a cl but the more i read the less desirable they seem to be!
Old 05-17-2014, 07:29 AM

CL550 & CL55 AMG
Cracked fenders CL55 AMG

Thanks for the thoughts - but these cracks are not hairline and become visible quickly and then it is too late to do anything about them - they are irreparable and fender replacement is the only sensible option.

MB have known about this defect for years and offered NOTHING, not even a discount on new fenders when directly attributable to this engineering/assembly failure.

Have driven MB big coupes since 1985 they are expensive to maintain but a pleasure to drive - now driving my last (CL550) as too many stupid expensive things go wrong - my wife's Infiniti (G37X) in the same period has been trouble free and puts MB "excellence" to shame.

The inferior quality difference between my CL55AMG and newer CL550 is dismaying - from increased road noise to quality of interior materials.

As for me? Can you say TESLA?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:41 PM

minicooper s, jeep, ml 55, mbz 600 sl
one of the cars I considered buying had this "option"

needless to say i didn't want this option too bad Mercedes doesn't want to own up here (not surprising though) Every car develops problems over time but few develop CRACKS due to STRESS of improperly designed or assembled fenders. Oh well...it eventually just hurts their image and in this day and age NO car mfg. can AFFORD bad press.....maybe Colbert would take it on!

"MB have known about this defect for years and offered NOTHING, not even a discount on new fenders when directly attributable to this engineering/assembly failure."
Old 02-21-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
SL55, Opel GT, 70 LT-1, BMW 745 turbo, MRoadster, 49 Stude truck, 69 Z/28, Ferrari project
Bringing up an old thread.
Eyes wide open before we bought the 03 CL600 as far as coils, ABC, trunk, etc. Expensive car: expensive maintenance. Fact of life.

But I really did not expect a fender to crack. One has. I noticed it after we returned from a cars and coffee outing. Someone may have leaned on it. Regardless, I found a fender off another CL600 with the same paint code, and I think the paint is a match.

I am certain I can figure out how to get the old RF fender off, but figured I would ask if anyone has been down that road. No need in reinventing the wheel if one of you has tacked it, and has any words of advice.

If not, I will be glad to be the trail blazer for diy on this, and will take plenty of pics along the way.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cl 65
mine on my cl65 is cracked but not visible on the exterior of the car. You can only see it when opening the hood on the inside.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
you had better find a way to reinforce that crack or it will spread.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cl 65
only remedy i am aware of is some sort of flexible glue or epoxy.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
you can ask a body shop. i believe that some want to take off the fender and reinforce it from the inside, others feel that they can repair it on the car using epoxy, or special 3m material. i've hear that you should drill a small hole at the edges of the crack before repairing to stop the crack from spreading. i personally used epoxy, but didn't drill the holes and the repair lasted about a year before the crack spread. do your research, or speak to someone who knows more than me before attempting.
the best, harv
Old 02-21-2016, 09:31 PM

SL55, Opel GT, 70 LT-1, BMW 745 turbo, MRoadster, 49 Stude truck, 69 Z/28, Ferrari project
Forgot I was on the AMG forum. May start another thread on the W215 forum. If so, will post a link. Fenders are the same.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL550
Sorry Lynn, years ago and done by MB collision center - paint match is key

Have CL550 and lately, notice LF fender has a mottled look - go figure.

Can you say TESLA?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:27 PM

I can accept car issues. Just came in from the garage. Putting a heater core in my 1983 BMW 745i (factory turbo car). This is the third freakin time I have had to replace it. I have had it 20+ years, and have over 300k miles on it. It is just a ***** of a job.

On the Mercedes, I would rather try a factory painted fender from the same year and hope for a match. If the car were black, not a big deal. I know from past experience silver is almost impossible to match.

Will start a thread over on the W215 forum when I get on the Mercedes fender ordeal. I am convinced the Germans just can't make plastic for some reason. Steel, aluminum, leather, wood... no problem. Plastic: disaster. My 33 year old Bimmer has Water Buffalo hide interior, and it is still almost like new, without a crack or a tear. Virtually no rust in the car. But, just like MB, plastic pieces just won't last. BTW, the Ferrari 400i is even WORSE when it comes to plastic.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:58 AM

CL550
I replaced mine when the $ was on par. The US price was $600 and the Canadian price was $900. MB only sells parts based on VIN - MB USA was allowed to sell only 1 fender, you could not order both a left and a right with the same VIN. Go figure.. No explanation was ever forthcoming.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:13 AM

2003 CL600 (silver/ash)
Update on my rant about my former 2003 CL600

[QUOTE=PorscheBob;5869452]
Originally Posted by Benzbias
Just caught this thread - I am not alone!
I paid $4265 (CDN) to replace two cracked front fenders (see attach)
Car has never been in an accident.
After the usual service run-a-round "we have never encountered this before" - I wrote the President of MB Canada - the company refused any participation in the cost to correct a disappointment as I view this defect as a design/assembly flaw. There was nothing that I might've done or not done to have prevented these structural cracks.

I am interested in forming a group who might be interested in taking an action against MB for at the very least, fender repair cost recovery plus the cost of the action. contact me if you have an interest. 416 464 5422

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Count me in on the lawsuit if it ever gets off the ground.
My 2003 CL600 has had a crack on the left front fender for several years
and is slowly getting larger. I talked to my mechanic about trying JB Weld
epoxy but he said it probably needs a flexible type of glue, so I purchased
"E6000" and will try it as soon as the weather gets warmer.
I think German plastic auto parts are not very good. I'm on my third
windshield sprinkler reservoir cap, and our Audi A6 has broken plastic also.

Also, if a lawsuit ever gets started on the ABC bull****, count me in.
I spent almost $6000 last year on that crappy system. I should have put
struts in.

This car has been my most unreliable machine ever. Wish I would have
kept my Porsche 928s4, Boss 429 or Shelby GT500.
.................................................. .................................................. ...............
02/22/2018
Thought I might update my original rant about my 2003 CL600.
I gave up a few years ago, sold the Mercedes and purchased a beautiful 2008 Maserati QP Executive GT.
So far the Maser has been quite reliable and a lot of fun to drive and own. It's been in a couple of car shows
and even featured in the International Maserati's Club 2018 calendar.
One of the great features of the Maser is that the exterior body is mostly aluminum and steel, unlike the Mercedes polycarbonate car.
Oh, and it has a real oil dip stick! Unlike the CL600 shorty stick.
I read somewhere online that the auto plastic parts made in Germany had to be "recycable plastic" and also lots
of Mercedes car parts are made in China. Google "Mercedes Chinese Parts".
Google "Car recycling in Germany" or "Mercedes Benz Air Suspension", etc.
I could go on but I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings here. My advice to you folks is do your online research.
In my opinion, the last good Mercedes Benz was in 1991. I had a real nice reliable 560SEC back then.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:33 AM

CL550
CRACKED FENDER

YES, BEST CAR FOR ME WAS 380 SEC, THEN 560, MORE POWERFUL BUT BALANCE WAS OFF, (FRONT END HEAVY) BUT A BEAUTY TO DRIVE, CL 500AMG NICE , NOW CL550, WHICH IS REALLY JUST LIKE AN EXPENSIVE BUICK
WITH A LIST OF COMMON PROBLEMS THAT CONTINUES TO TURN ME OFF BENZ, SUCH AS REPLACEMENT OF THE PLUGS AT THE REAR OF THE CYLINDER HEAD, SHIFT ISSUES (PADDLES REQUIRED TO UP SHIFT FROM 4TH IN THE CITY, PASSING GEAR ON HIGHWAY DELAYS THEN A BIG JOLT/BANG AS IF IT MISSED A GEAR AND THE RIGHT FENDER IS BECOMING MOTTLED! AND THE LOW BEAMS BULBS DON'T LAST ($200 INSTALLED), WINDOW ISSUES,- LUV UBER (LIVE IN CITY) NOW DRIVE TO GOLF COURSE AND GROCERY STORE/LIQUOR STORE- HAVE LOST THE PASSION - THEY ARE ALL THE SAME AUDI PORCHE, BENZ. I HAVE PALS WHO OWN THESE BEASTS AND EACH HAS THEIR TALE OF WOE - THE ONLY HAPPY ONES, GENESIS AND LEXUS. I NO LONGER GO TO MB FOR SERVICE THEY HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS BUT NONE OF THE SOLUTIONS - LOOK YOU IN THE EYE AND LIE TO YOUR FACE ("NEVER HEARD OF THAT BEFORE" BALONEY!. THAN GOODNESS FOR CHARLIE MCNALLY. DO LOTS OF PREVENTIVE MAINTAINANCE EARLY, DOES NOT SEEM TO HELP.
COINCIDENTALLY GOING THERE THIS MORNING TO REPAIR AN OIL LEAK(SWEATING) AT THE OIL COOLER, HOPEFULLY JUST A GASKET AND HAS NOT CONTAMINATED THE DRIVE BELT BELOW, AS I AM TOLD THE OIL CAN EAT IN TO THE BELT?
CLEARLY BENZ IS AWARE OF THE FENDER CRACKING ISSUE AND CLEARLY IN DENIAL, PLAN TO DO
ABOUT IT EXACTLY AS THEY HAVE, NOTHING!
GOOD LUCK
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (01-27-2022)
Old 02-26-2018, 10:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
I am on my second 2001 CL500.
Both have had the drivers side fender crack. Identical location. I was fortunate enough to find a brilliant silver matching fender at the local wrecking yard. Epoxy did not do the trick.
biker349 (01-27-2022)
Old 02-26-2018, 11:10 PM

That is exactly what I did, except I found a fender on ebay with the same paint code. It was not perfect, but pretty darn close. Took a couple hours to replace the old one and the paint was a perfect match.
biker349 (01-27-2022)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:29 PM

cl600
common phenomenon

It's common...occured on my cl500 and on the cl600 I just got!!!
Old 05-15-2018, 12:10 AM

CL55K
Cracked fenders on Mercedes-Benz CL55K

I have two symmetrical cracks in fenders as shown in pictures I have seen online. My view is that this is a defect in the plastic material and it is the manufacturers responsibility to fix it. Living in New Zealand we can do something about this.
biker349 (01-27-2022)
Old 11-03-2019, 12:38 PM

2003 CL55 AMG, 1999 E320 SW, 2004 SL600 Renntech, 1996 SL500
The plastic material used on the CL fenders is most likely Noryl GTX resin, a high temp plastic alloy blend of polyamide (PA) (i.e. nylon) and polyphenylene ether polymer (PPE). It was first developed in 1966 by GE Plastics and has been used over the years since for automotive body panels beginning with the 1987 Buick LeSabre fenders. SABIC, a Saudi petrochem company, now markets this resin.

Polyvance.com specializes in polymer plastic repairs and sells GTX plastic weld rods and the weld gun to do repairs. They have DIY repair videos at their website. Amazon also carries their products.
biker349 (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 06:20 AM

CL550
CRACKED FENDER

Originally Posted by oldwiz
The plastic material used on the CL fenders is most likely Noryl GTX resin, a high temp plastic alloy blend of polyamide (PA) (i.e. nylon) and polyphenylene ether polymer (PPE). It was first developed in 1966 by GE Plastics and has been used over the years since for automotive body panels beginning with the 1987 Buick LeSabre fenders. SABIC, a Saudi petrochem company, now markets this resin.

Polyvance.com specializes in polymer plastic repairs and sells GTX plastic weld rods and the weld gun to do repairs. They have DIY repair videos at their website. Amazon also carries their products.
I bought 2 new fenders and sold the car. Its replacement? A CL550, guess what? The right front fender several "dimples" in it noticeable when the light refracts a certain way.

I have driven MB Big Coupes since 1985 - will never buy MB again - the arrogance and dismissive attitude to its customers is offensive to me. They used to build a good car. Now, many others do as well, and most for a lot less, (the value equation).
Old 06-06-2020, 10:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 CL55 AMG
Both of my Cls have cracked fenders. My 05 CL65 has had passenger fender replaced about 2 years ago with new oem fender. Guess what, it is cracking already. I'm currently pulling molds off both sides and making carbon fiber replacements. Anyone want in on a pair. It would be a shame to use the molds for just 4 fenders.
biker349 (01-27-2022)
Old 04-29-2021, 07:03 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
C215 600TT
Originally Posted by AMGHELLRAISER
Both of my Cls have cracked fenders. My 05 CL65 has had passenger fender replaced about 2 years ago with new oem fender. Guess what, it is cracking already. I'm currently pulling molds off both sides and making carbon fiber replacements. Anyone want in on a pair. It would be a shame to use the molds for just 4 fenders.
Getting on for a year ago since you posted this pal, but out of curiosity - how far did you get with your CF replacement wings?

Cheers

Chris
Old 01-27-2022, 12:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
cl500
Originally Posted by oldwiz

SUCCESS: I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to update on my success in repairing the cracks in both of my CL fenders using the GTX Polyvance welding material (R15-01-03-BK) with one of their welders. I had previously bought the welder for my Jaguar repair, so the cost to try the CL fenders was low. Repair came out good, and only took a few hours. Body work and paint take longer, but it was a fun project and worth the try. I also repaired the AMG front bumper cover at the same time, as it was also cracked. Material on the AMG bumper is PUR, and requires a different Plastic repair material ( same as the Jaguar!!) (R01-01-03-NT). I used Polyvance Flexible Body Putty after the repairs, 2000-T, per their recommendations.

If I had to start from scratch, I would probably find some used fenders in the same body color (crack free!). Ebay and car-part.com have them for around $200 ea, + shipping, so for $500 could have solved the problem. I just like tinkering!
The following 3 users liked this post by darbysan:
biker349 (01-27-2022), Geraldius (02-05-2022), mbwillgrubs (01-27-2022)