CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL55 ABC Disaster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CL55 AMG
CL55 ABC Disaster

My wife was driving the CL55 yesterday, she saw some smoke and the message reading (Car too low do not drive), I have always had an air leak on the rear driver side block so I immediately assumed it was related to that. I had her pull over until I arrived to see what the issue was. Turns out there was a significant amount of hydraulic fluid leaking from the front driver side, the front driver side was sunk in a bit, but did not get as low as rear driver side with the air leak. Luckily it was about a mile away from the house so I drove it back slowly. While it was in our driveway, it continued to leak out a puddle worth of hydraulic fluid from front driver side. Does it sound like the strut or valve/block collapsed? or could it be a bad line? could the compressor/power steering pump be damaged? I did not lose power steering.

Thanks

Last edited by mbenzCL55; 10-16-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
seems like a broken line
Old 10-16-2014, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Many ABC leaks are internal - such as accumulator gas leaks and valve block seal leaks.

This is an external leak, and is probably due to a failed hose joint. Get a torch and have a look down the front of the engine.

Check the oil level in the reservoir, and don't start the engine if its empty, as that will break the pump and make everything much worse.

Nick
Old 10-16-2014, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by mbenzCL55
have always had an air leak on the rear driver side block
Not sure how you can have an air leak in a hydraulic system?
Old 10-26-2014, 01:20 PM

2001 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Many ABC leaks are internal - such as accumulator gas leaks and valve block seal leaks.

This is an external leak, and is probably due to a failed hose joint. Get a torch and have a look down the front of the engine.

Check the oil level in the reservoir, and don't start the engine if its empty, as that will break the pump and make everything much worse.

Nick
So the oil is almost completely empty in the reservoir, it's down to the bottom of the tank. Is it possible to jack it up in the driveway and repair the line that way? is it difficult to get to the line?
Old 10-26-2014, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
So the oil is almost completely empty in the reservoir, it's down to the bottom of the tank.
Never run the engine with an empty ABC reservoir (unless you remove the aux drive belt.
Is it possible to jack it up in the driveway and repair the line that way? is it difficult to get to the line?
That's exactly what I did. Some lines are easy to replace and some are difficult. You need to find out which one it is.

Nick
Old 10-26-2014, 05:13 PM

2001 CL55 AMG
Never run the engine with an empty ABC reservoir (unless you remove the aux drive belt.

That's exactly what I did. Some lines are easy to replace and some are difficult. You need to find out which one it is.

Nick
Right, I know enough to not turn the car on with low\no hydraulic fluid. Is there a specific hose\part that will be needed once I've found the broken line? Will I need to get the hose from the dealer etc? Also would you know how to top the fluid off without getting air in the system?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2014, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
its probably a torn hose that attaches to your valve block in front left drivers side. Remove the hose, follow it down in the wheel well (you will need to take the wheel and inside covers off) and get it reman 3000PSI min for $50 and pop it back in. Top up fluid, do a rodeo if you can and your good to go...
Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 AM

2001 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by benz_addict
its probably a torn hose that attaches to your valve block in front left drivers side. Remove the hose, follow it down in the wheel well (you will need to take the wheel and inside covers off) and get it reman 3000PSI min for $50 and pop it back in. Top up fluid, do a rodeo if you can and your good to go...
Thank you for your time, is Reman 3000PSI the type of hose and where can I get it? Does it require any special equipment to install? Also is there a specific way I should be topping off the hydraulic fluid?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
He means get the hose remanufactured at a hydraulics shop, take in your old hose and have them rebuild it

Much cheaper than buying a new hose from mb
Old 10-29-2014, 05:12 PM

2001 CL55 AMG
Would it be possible to refill the hydraulic fluid myself and start the car back up after replacing the line? all sides have sunk in except for the rear passenger wheel and the fluid when I checked last was at the bottom of the reservoir.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2014, 06:00 PM

2001 CL55 AMG
I was able to remove the wheel covers and find the line that appears to be leaking. The line starts from the power steering\abc pump and is housed in some type of aluminum type tubing. Anyone have experience with this line? tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is where the line starts from (The ABC pump)

Runs down underneath the car

Line runs underneath the car

Here is where it appears to be leaking

Close up of where it appears to be leaking

The line starts from the ABC pump and runs down underneath the car.

Last edited by mbenzCL55; 11-03-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
I assume thats the line that comes out of the pump via one flexible hose, run across the front of the engine, then turns right and runs down the side of the sump, and connects to the pressure regulator via a flexible hose?

I haven't seen an ABC hose like that - they are usually rubber-sheathed (though with two steel braid layers internally). If that's what's leaking, then that's what needs to be repaired or replaced.

That line is split into two parts - there's a joint at the front right hand corner of the engine.

Its quite a common failure. How handy are you? How many metric tools and jack stands do you have?

Nick

Last edited by Welwynnick; 11-03-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:26 AM

2001 CL55 AMG
I assume thats the line that comes out of the pump via one flexible hose, run across the front of the engine, then turns right and runs down the side of the sump, and connects to the pressure regulator via a flexible hose?

I haven't seen an ABC hose like that - they are usually rubber-sheathed (though with two steel braid layers internally). If that's what's leaking, then that's what needs to be repaired or replaced.

That line is split into two parts - there's a joint at the front right hand corner of the engine.

Its quite a common failure. How handy are you? How many metric tools and jack stands do you have?

Nick
Nick,

Please see my post with the pictures of the ABC line, I've included the screenshots of where the broken line starts, and where it runs down to.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:33 AM

2001 CL55 AMG

Nick
I haven't done much with this car other than the air intake filters, but I believe I can remove it, and I should have the tools, and jackstands. Is it difficult to remove this line to have it rebuilt? Do I have to remove the entire line or can I remove only the affected area?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Please PM me your last 8, I have some spare CL55 parts (ABC hoses in-tact) if you would like to purchase.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:37 PM

2001 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by biggking
Please PM me your last 8, I have some spare CL55 parts (ABC hoses in-tact) if you would like to purchase.
What do you mean by last 8? And do you have my broken line available for sale?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2014, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
I haven't done much with this car other than the air intake filters, but I believe I can remove it, and I should have the tools, and jackstands. Is it difficult to remove this line to have it rebuilt? Do I have to remove the entire line or can I remove only the affected area?
Thanks
I thought the W215 & 220 were much the same under the skin, but that pipe looks unfamiliar. If your pipe is split into two like mine, then you can remove just the affected section. The connection is a simple metal to metal threaded union. Getting at it is tricky. You can either raise the engine slightly, or lower the subframe (which is what I did this year). Its DIY feasible, but not for beginners.

There are various ways of doing the repair, but I would recommend cutting out the failed hose and replacing it with a new section with 10mm compression fittings. I found them easy and reliable to work with. Its described in this thread - compulsory reading:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...03-s600-2.html

(I thing the last 8 means the last 8 chassis No digits)

Nick
Old 11-03-2014, 09:18 PM

2001 CL55 AMG
I thought the W215 & 220 were much the same under the skin, but that pipe looks unfamiliar. If your pipe is split into two like mine, then you can remove just the affected section. The connection is a simple metal to metal threaded union. Getting at it is tricky. You can either raise the engine slightly, or lower the subframe (which is what I did this year). Its DIY feasible, but not for beginners.

There are various ways of doing the repair, but I would recommend cutting out the failed hose and replacing it with a new section with 10mm compression fittings. I found them easy and reliable to work with. Its described in this thread - compulsory reading:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...03-s600-2.html

(I thing the last 8 means the last 8 chassis No digits)

Nick
Are all of these hoses the same width? Just want to make sure before I buy the fitting for it. From the looks of it, it looks like this fitting is where it is leaking from on the close up photo I took, wouldn't replacing the metal fitting fix the leak or is it likely the hose that is damaged?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
hey, your making a mountain out of a mole hill. just replace the line with fittings and be done with it. to be honest, from your questions i'm not sure you should do the job yourself. you might be better off having a qualified mechanic do it.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:47 PM

2001 CL55 AMG
I don't have any experience, but replacing the line doesn't seem too complicated, after all I was able to find the leak. I am not trying to over complicate things, this is a forum and I am just asking questions because I would like to learn a few things about the system before I make an attempt to repair or have someone else do it. If I knew how to replace the line I wouldn't be here asking about it.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
The usual cause of leaks are the crimped joints between the flexible hose and the solid pipe.

The pipe is usually 10mm OD steel pipe with 1.5mm wall thickness (though the pipe coming out of the pump is 12mm OD).

The flexible hose is 3/8" bore two wire hydraulic hose, which is common as muck. It has two layers of steel braid. Its usually rated for 300 - 330 bar.

Solid metal pipe is safe to re-use as long as its clean, but flexible hose can never be re-used. A repair section of 3/8 2 wire hose with 10mm compression fittings will easily fit onto a section of solid pipe, as long as you have about 15mm of clean, straight pipe.

Nick
Old 11-04-2014, 08:21 PM

2001 CL55 AMG
The usual cause of leaks are the crimped joints between the flexible hose and the solid pipe.

The pipe is usually 10mm OD steel pipe with 1.5mm wall thickness (though the pipe coming out of the pump is 12mm OD).

The flexible hose is 3/8" bore two wire hydraulic hose, which is common as muck. It has two layers of steel braid. Its usually rated for 300 - 330 bar.

Solid metal pipe is safe to re-use as long as its clean, but flexible hose can never be re-used. A repair section of 3/8 2 wire hose with 10mm compression fittings will easily fit onto a section of solid pipe, as long as you have about 15mm of clean, straight pipe.

Nick
Where would be the best place to get a replacement hoses that I need? do you have an idea on what I'd need based off my photos?
Old 11-05-2014, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
As far as I can tell, every town of any size has a pneumatics and hydraulics shop that can make hydraulic hoses to any spec, very quickly and cheaply. And I bet you never knew they existed. They're everywhere once you start to look.

Do read that Ongoing Maintenance and Repair thread, all the procedures and pictures are there.

The first thing I did myself was take a broken hose along and get them to repair it. The best way seems to be to get a flexible section with 10mm compression fittings, and fit it yourself. The compression fittings should only be tightened once everything is assembled, because you want it all in the right position. You need to avoid having any flexible hose in tension or in twist.

Have to go now and fix my own car.

Nick

Last edited by Welwynnick; 11-05-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG C63s Coupe
Is this the main ABC pressure line ? (A2203204572)
It cost me $2300 to replace last year (independent). Part is cheap but very labor intensive. Stealership quoted me over $3,600 if I recall correctly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CL55 ABC Disaster