CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 01:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 CL55
My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions

I recently purchased my 2005 CL55. November 21st actually. Let me give a quick backstory. First off I've always been a Toyota/Lexus guy, specifically the Supra and SC400 and honestly, have always thought of a Mercedes Benz as being an old mans car. Well, I'm 45 years old now so maybe I qualify that statement now. Anyway, back in February I was sitting in my Lexus waiting to pull out onto the highway when I noticed a Mercedes coupe of some kind go by and thought that was one sexy *** car. So I googled MB coupes and found it. Being the car guy I am started reading up on the car. My first thoughts were to close my browser and go on with life but it just kept eating at me. After nine months of research I was confident I could handle it and start my search. I was getting sick of throwing money at the Lexus and my thoughts were that if I am going to spend a lot of money taking care of a car it's at least going to have some serious *****.
After a failed attempt at a private party purchase of the 06 CL55 listed on this forums classifieds section, I set my search nationwide at franchised dealerships and specialized premium vehicle dealers with no BBB complaints. There were plenty to be found at wholesalers and "dirt lots" around Texas but I wasn't going there. Luckily one popped up in Texarkana at a Nissan dealership, that used to a MB dealer so I made the 4 hour drive from the DFW area, drove it and bought it. They were kind enough to deliver it to my fire station a few days later. So here it is:
76800 miles on it. New tires, brakes and rotors.

My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions-b2706832-b1e8-4b16-b956-d39ec5e0b087_zpsk9qu8zfb.png

My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions-78e8b2bf-e29a-4817-bcb9-60bf857835c8.png_zps6xpt6j40.jpeg

My impressions are that this car is absolutely phenomenal and fun to drive. I was surprised at how loud the engine is but I like it. The transmission took some getting used to. At low speeds it feels like it has an engine brake or something. All the CL's and one SL I've driven feel the same. It's a fairly thirsty vehicle but I expected that.
I was noticing it didn't have as much power at times so today I replaced the intercooler pump with the new Bosch part. I went for a test drive and it's a completely different car now, complete with a chirp I've never heard before when taking off.
Earlier today I went by Park Place MB in Fort Worth to pick up some coolant and new dipsticks for the oil and ABC reservoir. I went to the service dept and asked an advisor if he could pull up the service history. The only part replaced due to defect was the pilot bushing at 38k miles back in 08. The rest of the history was A&B Services.
I'm going to enjoy the ABC for a little while longer then just do a conversion. I'm a road tripper and do not want to worry about it all the time. Besides, I did find some weeping lines today while changing out the IC pump so will just keep the driving local until I swap it out. I'll do a complete ABC delete with W220 control arms, sway bar, and ps pump. I have to admit sometimes I'm on the fence about it and think about changing out all the lines and accumulators.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:42 AM

2005 CL55
I've got new MB motor/tranny mounts to go on it as soon as I make the appt with my indy mechanic. I don't even want to attempt that job myself. Next will be the valve cover gaskets which I'll do myself. Other than that I'll just keep up with maintenance issues and drive and enjoy.

So questions: Was this standard equipment or a dealer/aftermarket add-on. I was extremely pleasantly surprised to find it.

My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions-91d7f20e-5674-4a92-97d0-27d29825e16c_zpsbytkdwhv.jpg

Also, I don't have a Bluetooth cradle in the console. Did the CL55's not come with it? I've searched the topic but finding threads that are complete in regards to a 2005 are very hard to find.

By the way, this is my toy/project:
My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions-e8388f40-6ba1-4646-9bfa-d4828b6b58c1_zpsy4i8jpwk.jpg

And here's the current daily driver, at least until I get the suspension sorted on the CL:

My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions-102_zps434b8256.jpg
Old 12-27-2014, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
The phone cables you posted are aftermarket. Your car was made before the iPhone. If you want to Bluetooth music you will need an aftermarket system like a Gateway 500sBT. nice car, enjoy!
Old 12-27-2014, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Awesome ride, looks like you got a clean one. I have a CLS63 myself, picked up at 36K miles on it.

I do believe that audio hookup was after market, but a great addition, nonetheless. My CLS came pre-wired for a radar detector thanks to the 1st owner.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2006 CL55 AMG
Congrats! Understand your not wanting to deal with ABC issues and maintenance. Picked up my black 06 CL55 late October...ours are like twins. Mine has the MB phone hook-up. Just need the phone. This new week repairing the rear ABC valve block and install new Bosch I/C pump. Doing Eurocharged tune and pulley immediately after, then Eurocharged 82 mm TB and headers. Estimate 575+ chp.
Clear driver adaptive learning of the ECU/TCM: With engine off turn the key to the on (#2) position, hold the gas pedal to ther floor for 5 seconds, turn key to off position, let go of gas pedal, start engine and for 2 minutes allow ECU/TCM to learn parameters, drive like an animal...letting ECU/TCM know you don't fool around = 500 hp/520 trq 4.3 sec. 0-60 12.2 sec. 1/4 mile Texas road bully. Congrats again, you'll enjoy and learn more about the rare 03-06 CL55 AMG.

Last edited by principledchiro; 12-27-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:31 AM

2005 CL55
Thanks for the reset advice. I noticed a big difference!
I found out my abc pump had been replaced. It says Ixetic on the top instead of Luk so sometime after 2009 it was replaced. I was excited to learn that and thought that I would just replace all the accumulators and any weepy lines and continue to enjoy the ABC system. The very next morning after learning about the pump and go outside and find my car sagging in the left rear. It bottoms out over night just on that one wheel. I just said F it and decided to go back to the original plan of ridding it of the abc. I have a sick feeling that even if I do take that valve block apart and clean it out, I'm still going to have a snowball effect of failures. So I'm going to start acquiring the necessary parts and will decide on which conversion to do. But first, this Thursday she goes in for new motor and tranny mounts. I can't wait to get that done. Then I'll work on the suspension. I don't ever want to see this again.
Attached Thumbnails My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions-image-3363594646.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 04:34 AM

2005 CL55
Oh and here's a pic I snapped at a restaurant parking lot. These cars are just so damn beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions-image-3229944838.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 CL55 AMG & '09 SL63 AMG
Good choice buying the CL, congratulations!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:04 PM

2006 CL55 AMG
Very clean n nice

Originally Posted by fireman685
Oh and here's a pic I snapped at a restaurant parking lot. These cars are just so damn beautiful.
Yeah, you picked a fine example of an 05 CL55 AMG.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 55
congrats man thats too bad about the abc problems. good looking car tho!
Old 01-07-2015, 02:07 AM

2005 CL55
Originally Posted by CLassy_AMG
congrats man thats too bad about the abc problems. good looking car tho!
Eh, it was expected. Would rather have had yours still but it wasn't meant to be I guess.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Nice acquisition
Let me know when you want to add some performance mods mods
Old 01-07-2015, 11:38 AM

2005 CL55
Originally Posted by shardul
Nice acquisition Let me know when you want to add some performance mods mods

I'm listening...
Old 01-19-2015, 12:12 AM

2005 CL55
Well I ordered 4 new accumulators today. Also ordered a replacement hose for the one thats weeping. I decided to go ahead and give the system a second chance and service it up. The left rear sags overnight, which didn't start doing till after I replaced the filter.

I recently had the motor and transmission mounts replaced. I'm glad I did not attempt the motor mounts myself. The drivers side engine mount was a real beotch for the shop to remove they said. The engine sound inside the car is remarkably more quiet and of course acceleration is significantly smoother. After I take care of the ABC I'm going to replace the valve cover gaskets, as they are somewhat leaky resulting in a burning oil smell. While I'm at it I'll go ahead and replace the plugs and wires. The car just rolled 80k miles but being 10 years old now I figure its due.

A few posts up I posted a picture of the iPod connection in the console. Last week I finally got my old iPod clickwheel back from a friends house. I had been just using my iPhone. Well when I plugged in my ancient clickwheel monochrome brick, the display said Mercedes Benz Denison Gateway 500. It said something else but went away pretty quick. I have been unable to make it appear on the display again. Anyway, I was under the impression the Gateway system replaces the CD Changer. Well in my console there is a switch so I can either use my CD Changer or iPod connection so I have both at my disposal and both do work. The USB cable that's in there also will not keep a continious signal/current so I don't use it. There is also RCA inputs. I have been unable to find information on the system so if anyone would care to enlighten me or share a link that would be great.

I've found that the more I drive this car the better the mileage is getting. I live way out in the country so a majority of my driving is highway. I've been averaging 18-19 mpg but as I drive it more I've hit 21 mpg once. Now I didn't buy this for its effeciency so spare me any elitists remarks. I'm only commenting on my observations. Also, the more I drive it, the more I love it.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:17 AM

2005 CL55
I snapped a few more pictures of it the other day.

In my drive leading up to the house.

My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions-decb07fa-bc10-417b-b4c9-5093666da0a3_zpswsqsgxsa.jpg

I love that ***!

My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions-e25595d1-127f-4837-8927-d3677eb30c8f_zpswqijxa7e.png

This is just one that I was messing with the effects options on my phone.

My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions-d4946d75-b8b0-42ce-a604-85e3b953ae65_zpsgp0wt9g1.jpg
Old 01-19-2015, 05:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
I've gone from an SC400 (a rare UZZ32 with active suspension) to a Merc with Active Body Control. Its like the same car but with twice the engine.

Please don't ditch the ABC, its not the same without. There are lots of ways to keep it purring, and lots of people to help One of the best things that any W215/220 owner can do is read this thread - its the most read thread in the couple of years, and will have you believe you can fix anything:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...2003-s600.html

Nick
Old 01-19-2015, 07:42 AM

2006 CL55 AMG
Rear Valve Block Rebuild

Well I ordered 4 new accumulators today. Also ordered a replacement hose for the one thats weeping. I decided to go ahead and give the system a second chance and service it up. The left rear sags overnight, which didn't start doing till after I replaced the filter.

I recently had the motor and transmission mounts replaced. I'm glad I did not attempt the motor mounts myself. The drivers side engine mount was a real beotch for the shop to remove they said. The engine sound inside the car is remarkably more quiet and of course acceleration is significantly smoother. After I take care of the ABC I'm going to replace the valve cover gaskets, as they are somewhat leaky resulting in a burning oil smell. While I'm at it I'll go ahead and replace the plugs and wires. The car just rolled 80k miles but being 10 years old now I figure its due.

A few posts up I posted a picture of the iPod connection in the console. Last week I finally got my old iPod clickwheel back from a friends house. I had been just using my iPhone. Well when I plugged in my ancient clickwheel monochrome brick, the display said Mercedes Benz Denison Gateway 500. It said something else but went away pretty quick. I have been unable to make it appear on the display again. Anyway, I was under the impression the Gateway system replaces the CD Changer. Well in my console there is a switch so I can either use my CD Changer or iPod connection so I have both at my disposal and both do work. The USB cable that's in there also will not keep a continious signal/current so I don't use it. There is also RCA inputs. I have been unable to find information on the system so if anyone would care to enlighten me or share a link that would be great.

I've found that the more I drive this car the better the mileage is getting. I live way out in the country so a majority of my driving is highway. I've been averaging 18-19 mpg but as I drive it more I've hit 21 mpg once. Now I didn't buy this for its effeciency so spare me any elitists remarks. I'm only commenting on my observations. Also, the more I drive it, the more I love it.
Hi, the exact ABC "sags on drivers rear" issue presents on my black 115k mile 06 CL55 AMG. The green o-ring kit awaits the rear ABC valve block re-o-ring procedure. Performing forum search will land you into detail on doing this relatively simple task in 2 hours. May I ask where you achieved the accumulaters and $?
Old 01-19-2015, 09:03 AM

2005 CL55
Originally Posted by principledchiro
Hi, the exact ABC "sags on drivers rear" issue presents on my black 115k mile 06 CL55 AMG. The green o-ring kit awaits the rear ABC valve block re-o-ring procedure. Performing forum search will land you into detail on doing this relatively simple task in 2 hours. May I ask where you achieved the accumulaters and $?
I searched and researched every issue these cars have for nearly nine months before I bought one. I'm not that concerned of the morning sag as of yet. For me now it's just a nuisance but I will address it when I change out the accumulators. I bought all four of them from Autohausaz.com for $649/ free shipping. I got the part numbers from the Mercedes EPC (electronic parts catalog). Hope this helps you. Some websites were a little cheaper but the shipping was high and some websites I could not get all four so went with AH.
Attached Thumbnails My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions-image-3824152158.jpg  

Last edited by fireman685; 01-19-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:17 AM

2005 CL55
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
I've gone from an SC400 (a rare UZZ32 with active suspension) to a Merc with Active Body Control. Its like the same car but with twice the engine. Please don't ditch the ABC, its not the same without. There are lots of ways to keep it purring, and lots of people to help One of the best things that any W215/220 owner can do is read this thread - its the most read thread in the couple of years, and will have you believe you can fix anything: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...2003-s600.html Nick
Nick, I have that link saved in my favorites already . When I bought the car my thought process was to enjoy the ABC until a failure, which I knew wod eventually happen. When I found out my pump had already been replaced with a newer supposedly "updated" Ixetic it made me feel a little more comfortable. Not long after I bought it, after going over some unexpectedly rough RR tracks, I heard a ding and soon after I noticed the ride was suffering. It felt (and still does feel) sloppy and and little rough. I checked the abc fluid after that and it was barely on the stick, which was new since I had checked a week prior and the level was fine. Well long story short (to late I'm rambling haha), I've decide to keep it on the car. Before the RR track incident I was damn near giddy over how the car rode and handled. And since I cannot find anyone local to me who's done a conversion to do a test ride in, I'm so weary of doing any kind of conversion. Who's to say though, if I get left on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere Utah/Arizona during a road trip because of an ABC problem, I might change my mind. By the way thanks for the input. I always find your posts informative. I would love to ride in an SC400 with active suspension. I'll bet it was incredible. My SC400 is currently on the market.

Last edited by fireman685; 01-19-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:22 AM

2005 CL55
Was also going to mention my washer reservoir leaks and the rear sunshade won't retract on its own. It just grinds gears. So a member who is parting a car is sending me both items.
Anybody want to suggest a good way to remove the rear panel where the sunshade is?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
Who's to say though, if I get left on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere Utah/Arizona during a road trip because of an ABC problem, I might change my mind.
Mercedes' unfortunate approach to ABC maintenance is to cross your fingers and wait until something goes wrong. Most of us have learned that you can only gain confidence when you're more proactive with the maintenance.
By the way thanks for the input. I always find your posts informative. I would love to ride in an SC400 with active suspension. I'll bet it was incredible. My SC400 is currently on the market.
I still have my SC400, but the suspension pump failed, and I can't repair it. At least ABC is maintainable. I've had some of my most memorable motoring in the Lexus. With Supra wheels and tyres, the grip level went from remarkable to beyond belief. It stuck so hard it felt like it wouldn't fall off a wall.

More than that, it was pointy in a way seemed to defy physics in a 4000lb car. I believe Lexus invented something that's now called variable roll moment distribution, which Porsche and Mercedes only just learned. It means you avoid that "heavy" feeling you get when you try to change direction quickly in a big car - yet its still stable when you want it to be.

I guess I hoped that a Merc with ABC would be like the Soarer, but a generation newer. In truth it's nearly there, but not quite. On balance I'll take the wide-eyed performance, surprising economy, and acceptable maintainability.

Nick
Old 01-19-2015, 03:26 PM

2005 CL55
My observations between the two are a little different but of course my SC has a traditional suspension, which by the way has been a significant pain in my *** and wallet. With the CL I find it to feel like a very lightweight car. My SC feels very heavy, part of that being its half the horsepower of the CL haha.
I too have had many thousands of happy motoring miles in my SC. I've been over most of the southern part of the United States in it and previous SC's. I'll admit I feel foolish for trying to sell it in order to keep a 28 year old Supra since I could trust the SC to go anywhere, any distance anytime. The supra....eh not so much and with the ABC I'm a little skiddish of the CL also. But the supra has been an all time favorite car of mine since I was in high school back in the 80's. I get more compliments on it when I'm out somewhere, thumbs up by passerby's going down the freeway etc... It was such an innovative car for its day and to me one of the smoothest riding ones still. I think I might need a rag....
Old 01-19-2015, 05:25 PM

2006 CL55 AMG
Accumulators

I searched and researched every issue these cars have for nearly nine months before I bought one. I'm not that concerned of the morning sag as of yet. For me now it's just a nuisance but I will address it when I change out the accumulators. I bought all four of them from Autohausaz.com for $649/ free shipping. I got the part numbers from the Mercedes EPC (electronic parts catalog). Hope this helps you. Some websites were a little cheaper but the shipping was high and some websites I could not get all four so went with AH.
fireman, thank you so much for posting the accumulator part # source and $.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 PM

2005 CL55
So today I had to park it till I can replace the accumulators, hose and fix the valve blocks. It kept dinging over bumps and was riding like crap. Of course there was hydraulic fluid all over the fender when I popped the hood. I have 5 more liters of Pentosin and another new ABC filter on the way also.

Today has sucked in this guys automotive world. This morning I discovered the cause of my oil consumption in my old 88 Supra when I pulled the cold start injector from the plenum and found it covered in oil. I found the entire intake system saturated in oil from a blown turbo. That has to be fixed first then I will tackle the CL. I've also got to investigate the smell of raw gas after its been idling for a little while.

So tomorrow I'll be reading up on how to properly get the CL's suspension back up and running after I have all the new bits bolted back on.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
I found the entire intake system saturated in oil from a blown turbo.
Wait till you see the exhaust system. That's bad news, but turbos are pretty simple, and cheap and straightforward to rebuild as long as you can get at them.

Nick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 2005 CL55 Impressions and Questions