CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

First Time AMG buyer - 2008 CL63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350
First Time AMG buyer - 2008 CL63 AMG

Hello Everyone,

I've done my research and I know this particular car may have issues with the Engine Mounts, Transmission Mounts plus various items. I currently own a 2008 E350 and My father owns a 2008 S450 so I know what to expect from a Mercedes however not with an AMG. I test drove a 2008 CL63 with 100,000 KM and I wasn't impressed. Something seemed wrong with the car. There was no acceleration, no exhaust note, and you could definitely hear some ticking and vibration from the driver side when the engine is on. The car is at a used car dealership and the salesperson and I both agree something is wrong with the car so they are looking into it. I told them I will not buy this car unless I'm satisfied with the repairs they make and only after taking the car to my mechanic and if he approves I'll buy it. What can cause the car to have these symptoms? My Fathers S450 has a lot more acceleration than the CL63!!!???? or it seems
Old 04-28-2015, 03:34 AM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
The N/A CL63 is not what I'd call a fast car, it's really more of a very quick car for its weight & size.

However, it should still have pretty stout acceleration & it should absolutely have an exhaust note. The CL is probably the most sound insulated model MB makes, so with the car buttoned up, the exhaust note will be muted. Outside the car, it should be noticeable; although not at C63 noise levels, due to different mufflers. The CL63 exhaust is definitely a tamer sound, although certainly noticeable while on the throttle.

For what it's worth, I've got the Kleemann long tube headers on it & it's pretty outrageous, bordering on obnoxious; but when I've got the windows up (double pane glass), it's definitely subdued.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:42 PM

2008 E350
thank you for your reply Andy0331. The dealership won't let me take the car to my mechanic. I have to buy the car as is. They told me the noise from the engine is due to low quality fuel and it's the same story for the performance. I was able to take the car to 180 km on the highway easily. So i do agree with you when you say the car is quick. As for the exhaust note I had all the windows opened while I rev'd the car in Park. The RPM gauge would not go pass 4000rpm but i've read this is limited on purpose. I also had the windows opened during my entire test drive so I know there is something definitely not right with the car and I think this is the reason why they won't let me take it to my mechanic. These cars are very difficult to find in Canada. I've seen many for sale south of the border but with our exchange rate plus duties I'll have to wait for another one to come up for sale in my area.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Speedriven CL600 V12TT
If they won't let you take it to a mechanic, or even get a PPI, walk away. There are better CL63's out there. If the dealer isn't going to let you get it inspected, it clearly means something is wrong.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by Zedren
thank you for your reply Andy0331. The dealership won't let me take the car to my mechanic. I have to buy the car as is. They told me the noise from the engine is due to low quality fuel and it's the same story for the performance. I was able to take the car to 180 km on the highway easily. So i do agree with you when you say the car is quick. As for the exhaust note I had all the windows opened while I rev'd the car in Park. The RPM gauge would not go pass 4000rpm but i've read this is limited on purpose. I also had the windows opened during my entire test drive so I know there is something definitely not right with the car and I think this is the reason why they won't let me take it to my mechanic. These cars are very difficult to find in Canada. I've seen many for sale south of the border but with our exchange rate plus duties I'll have to wait for another one to come up for sale in my area.
I've never heard that car would not "go pass 4000". It is not limited for any reason this is a high revving car ......I believe it's 7300 redline ......one the few big engines that can scream.

Run from this lol.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:40 PM

1998 Mercedes E320 4Matic Wagon, 1981 Yamaha Maxim 650
There's a little voice in the back of my head asking "is the car ACTUALLY a CL63, or did someone rebadge it?" If the car was in fact a CL550 with CL63 badges that would explain the lackluster performance and lack of exhaust note. Google "M156 engine" and look under the hood of the car, if that engine is not in the car then it's a poser and RUN AWAY! I know the chances of this are very slim but it would fit what you have been describing.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
Originally Posted by ROMEO550
I've never heard that car would not "go pass 4000". It is not limited for any reason this is a high revving car ......I believe it's 7300 redline ......one the few big engines that can scream.

Run from this lol.
That was when he had it in park; no big issue there.

Plenty of other issues though!
Old 05-03-2015, 05:20 PM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by Andy0331
That was when he had it in park; no big issue there.

Plenty of other issues though!
So the Dealership finally let me take the car to my mechanic. It's definitely a m156 motor and cl63. My mechanic found over 20 fault codes, A/C doesn't even work and my mechanic is suggesting something is wrong with the camshafts and lifters so I walked away from the deal. I asked the dealership how can you sell a car like this with so many problems. They responded with "somebody will buy it as is". Even if they get another CL63 I'm never dealing with these guys. If anybody is looking at the cl63 amg at North York Chrysler in Toronto pleaae walk away. These guys will tell you nothing is wrong and later tell you we are aware of the problems and the car is priced accordingly. They are asking $37,000 Cdn with 100,000 km. Now I'll have to wait for another one to come up for sale. At the moment there's only 2 available in the country.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:12 AM

1998 Mercedes E320 4Matic Wagon, 1981 Yamaha Maxim 650
Walking away was definitely the best idea, I can't believe that dealer said "somebody will buy it as is", what a bunch of crooks! Best of luck finding a CL63 to buy
Old 05-05-2015, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
some dealers...

Good luck finding a clean one!