CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

@kennygo4 CL55 BUILD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
@kennygo4 CL55 BUILD

It started out quite innocently.. I wanted to trade up from my 2004 c230 coupe kompressor for something with more Get up and go. I never worked on the 230 myself, but always did all my own Mechanic work on all my other cars..

Well, when I ended up trading the c230 + cash on a 2006 CL55, that all changed. That was November of 2016.

I started small, oil change, air filter change.. and power wire in the door boot. things like that, just getting familiar with the car all the while still being intimidated by it immensely.
This is no longer the case, as now I have pulled the transmission, supercharger, crank pulley, throttle body, and much more all in the comfort of my driveway.

I just wanted to share the journey with people who may appreciate it.

I started going to the drag strip with the car bone stock and was doing a consistent 14.4.. mind you im over 3000 feet above sea level, in the desert of new mexico. Roswelle is the nearest track.

Anyway.. I was heat soaking like a b*tch.. so I started researching cooling mods. I quickly sprung for the Bosch 10 pump, and decided to split the cooling system at the same time..

Now I know there are plenty of aftermarket options- trunk tanks, BMW resevoirs in the front, etc.. but I guess that just seemed too easy, or maybe too expensive (trunk tank) and I wanted something that could hold more volume.
So after alot of thinking, I decided I would retrofit my windsheild washer fluid resevoir to serve as aneeded intercooler resevoir after I split my cooling system.- pics attached.
I was set on being able to use Ice, so I put a 1/4 inch drain line on the bottom of the resevoir and a shut off valve so at the track I can fill with ice, run, drain, repeat.
During the summer I just run water through the intercooler so this isn't an issue.. just drain on the ground.

Very soon after doing cooling mods, I got on amazon and purchased eurocharged flash cable (obdII to usb) and emailed them with my ecu file, and a day later tuned my car for the first time.
What a difference.

The next time I went to the track I was down to a consistent 13.3 seconds..

Progress

Last edited by kgoff6; 03-26-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
Will post some more soon

Last edited by kgoff6; 03-26-2017 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2006 CL55 AMG
Thx you for sharing your 06 CL55 AMG journey from 500 horse to 600+ horse 11 second 1/4 mile. Look forward to more! It's interesting to see the collection of these cars and the owners personalities and skills molded in to them. I've a black highway daily driver 06 CL55 AMG. Bought it two years ago, stock, and 112k on the clock. Mods: 77 mm DTK clutched pulley, UPD beltwrap kit, UPD tandem intercooler, Bosche 10 pump, K&N drop-in panel filters (stock air intake), EC Stage 3 tune, Kleeman shorty headers (may swap in long tubes) leading in to 200 cell sport cats, deleted secondary cats and coded out their O2 sensors, stock resonators and mufflers, DTK V2 TCM module, radiator coolant leaked in to transmission cooling circuit so...new radiator, rebuilt the transmission and torque converter. Yellow Speed Sport coil-over struts, W220 power steering pump and front sway bar are on deck to replace the failed ABC suspension. Then on to 550 injectors, 82 mm TB, and Quiafe LSD with 3.06 gears. I've never tested this car on a dyno nor a track, but EC claims 625 horses and 700 lb/ft at the crank. Estimating that the 82 mm TB w/550 injectors will put this car in the 650+ range.

Last edited by principledchiro; 03-26-2017 at 07:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kgoff6 (03-26-2017)