CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

disconnecting pneumatic lines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL55
disconnecting pneumatic lines

Does anyone have any tips on methods and tools to easily remove the pneumatic lines without breaking them or the connectors?

these connectors are used for convenience features like seat bladders, assisted trunk open, or door closing powered by the PSE pump.

Searching forums about completing jobs repairing said systems, read that owners are able to get the lines out successfully, but no one mentions how tho, and with these plastics becoming brittle after 12 years, I would like to ask for some advice before I start forcing things in ways they shouldnt be. Below I am reposting 2 images of the type of connectors that I am inquiring about.

On a second note, I wanted to ask about any tips on how to find replacement tubing or an upgraded material for it (i bet the dealer might have some OEM, but defining the options in here would be nice)

For instance, I found one of these broken lines behind my passenger seat's bladders, and tried to splice it by inserting it in a piece of clear flexible PVC tubing, probably similar to the ones used in aquariums. The fit is tight, I had to use silicone as lubricant to slide it in and get air back into the seat bladders, but I ran into snags, and the results were less than stellar, as the original tubing has become so brittle that it cracks if you put pressure on it as you slide it in, or look at it wrong. In the end I believe my splice held up, but I probably also have tears in the air bladders, so I plan to completely replace them with new original ones at around $160 in parts per seat, including side bolsters. Which brings me back to the question about how to disconnect these things.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
They do just pull out... but as you say, they are always super brittle. I'd just carefully twist and pull, and prepare to buy new ones if they break. There is no good way to remove old hard plastic without breaking it.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL55
I thought there might be a tool to uniformly spread the surrounding latches before pulling the connector out
Old 06-05-2017, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Malendro
I thought there might be a tool to uniformly spread the surrounding latches before pulling the connector out
Nope.

WIS says "unclip and remove", which essentially means, pull and pray lol.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
does the dealer have access to those ends and what are the part #'s?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
I have used a pics to spread the tabs out while trying to unclip them. It is a pain trying to slip 4 separate clips in at the same time without them falling back out, but I have not broken one...... yet.....