CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

'04 CL55 ABC Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 CL55 AMG
Question '04 CL55 ABC Question

I have had the car for 3 weeks, the only mechanical issue i have noticed is this:

The LH (Front and Rear) is .5in lower than the RH. This is consistent in each of the 3 ride heights.

There are no warnings for anything, and "no malfunction" listed in the display when asked.

The car does not sink when parked, it is always .5in lower on the LH side.

I have checked the struts, in and around the wheel well and cannot find any fluid.

Fluid level is good, and the fluid clear.

Can I get some direction where to look next? Every thread I look into seems to have more to do with leaking struts/valves/lines that fall to the bump stops, this seems to be more of a calibration issue since the car is consistent through each level setting. The links look stock and do not look mangled.

I want to take pictures to help the diagnosis, let me know where I should check.

P.S. I have looked at this over the past few weeks on all kinds of surfaces, angles, and as flat as i could find without any avail, .5in off.

car still feels great though.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
Originally Posted by LukkyStrike
I have had the car for 3 weeks, the only mechanical issue i have noticed is this:

The LH (Front and Rear) is .5in lower than the RH. This is consistent in each of the 3 ride heights.

There are no warnings for anything, and "no malfunction" listed in the display when asked.

The car does not sink when parked, it is always .5in lower on the LH side.

I have checked the struts, in and around the wheel well and cannot find any fluid.

Fluid level is good, and the fluid clear.

Can I get some direction where to look next? Every thread I look into seems to have more to do with leaking struts/valves/lines that fall to the bump stops, this seems to be more of a calibration issue since the car is consistent through each level setting. The links look stock and do not look mangled.

I want to take pictures to help the diagnosis, let me know where I should check.

P.S. I have looked at this over the past few weeks on all kinds of surfaces, angles, and as flat as i could find without any avail, .5in off.

car still feels great though.
Don't know why. However assuming it is nothing significant then the easiest fix is to get adjustable links off of eBay for $100. Use this as an opportunity to lower the car all around. I lowered mine 1.5 inches and it significantly improved the handling.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:57 PM

2004 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by RonCL55
Don't know why. However assuming it is nothing significant then the easiest fix is to get adjustable links off of eBay for $100. Use this as an opportunity to lower the car all around. I lowered mine 1.5 inches and it significantly improved the handling.
I may look into that option.

I have disconnected the main battery on the vehicle. I will leave it that way for 24H and then hook it back up. Maybe i have something out of whack.

I am hoping it has something to do with the lateral acceleration sensor....
Old 06-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
'15 GLK350, '05 CL65 AMG, '04 C320 4matic
Could be just typical driver's side sagging springs from from years of heavier weight on that side (only driver in car). How many miles on the car?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
What happens when you start the engine up? The height and level is different with the engine on and off.

I wouldn't worry unduly

Nick
Old 06-21-2017, 07:51 AM

2004 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
What happens when you start the engine up? The height and level is different with the engine on and off.

I wouldn't worry unduly

Nick
the car car does not move or change when off or on. Even when started after two days of sitting. I have made it a point to leave the door open and foot out when I start it to confirm.

I am worried about tire wear and alignment issues later even if the system is healthy. It's just odd that I cannot fix it. I may talk my local dealer into hooking up star to it and see if he/she sees anything weird.