CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Dealership Parts Pricing Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cl55
Dealership Parts Pricing Experience

Recently my 14 year old 50k mile cl-55 amg had a crankshaft position sensor going bad. After researching the issue I figured I would change it my self as it seemed relatively simple.

Wanting an oem Mercedes part I looked at a few of the online Mercedes parts suppliers and found the part anywhere from $117 to $150. All of these online dealers showed the list price as $159.

Because I needed the part right away I thought I would just go by the dealer and pick it up knowing that it would cost a bit more. Much to my surprise when I went to the dealer to purchase the sensor I was quoted a price of $240 plus tax and was told it was not in stock & that it would take a few days to get it.

Because I needed it sooner I passed, went home, & just ordered the Bosch replacement sensor on Amazon with 2 day prime shipping for $29.

Changed the sensor out Saturday and all seems fine. The original part was marked with Bosch info on one side & MB info on the other. The Bosch & MB Bosch parts have the same Bosch part number with the exception of the last digit. One is 0 the other a 1.

I support any business owners right to charge whatever price they want but this just floored me.

I now know how the parts department at the dealers can look nicer than the concierge desk at a Ritz Carlton.

Is a 50% markup over list common when you have no relationship with the dealer?
Old 08-01-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
'15 GLK350, '05 CL65 AMG, '04 C320 4matic
Typically you can place the order through the dealer's online web store at a much lower price than over the counter. Then you have the option to ship or pick up at the counter for no shipping charge. Call the dealer ahead of time to verify that it's in stock.