CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Radio Antenna Wiring (Above Rear Headliner)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 11:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CL55
Radio Antenna Wiring (Above Rear Headliner)

My AM/FM radio does not work. It used to but for some reason it no longer does. I decided to start digging around and for the most part everything looks to be normal. Except for a rogue 3-pin connector that goes to nothing. Its several inches toward the passenger side of the dome light and it's just chillin there all by itself with no sign of a nearby hole to plug it into. I'm curious what this plug goes to and if it could help me with my no radio issue or if its just, sort of, there.

If this doesn't have anything to do with my radio not working does anyone have any info about how to test/troubleshoot the system? Everything else works except the CD changer but I have bypassed that and am not concerned with it at all. The radio was not working before the changer delete. I generally don't listen to the radio very often so I don't have any coinciding events to lead me down a helpful path.

Alternatively, I would much prefer it if I could just find a way to direct connect via 1/8" (aux) or bluetooth my phone to the car without spending several hundred dollars. So, if that is something that someone has some insight on, feel free to chime in! Otherwise, please help me get my radio working so I can listen to some damn morning shows!

******Attached is a couple photos of the rogue connector I found alongside the other wiring above the rear headliner near the rear dome light. Hopefully this helps.*******
Attached Thumbnails Radio Antenna Wiring (Above Rear Headliner)-img_4760.jpg   Radio Antenna Wiring (Above Rear Headliner)-img_7759.jpg  
Old 08-07-2017, 02:36 AM

Received 794 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by khutchinson22
My AM/FM radio does not work. It used to but for some reason it no longer does. I decided to start digging around and for the most part everything looks to be normal. Except for a rogue 3-pin connector that goes to nothing. Its several inches toward the passenger side of the dome light and it's just chillin there all by itself with no sign of a nearby hole to plug it into. I'm curious what this plug goes to and if it could help me with my no radio issue or if its just, sort of, there.

If this doesn't have anything to do with my radio not working does anyone have any info about how to test/troubleshoot the system? Everything else works except the CD changer but I have bypassed that and am not concerned with it at all. The radio was not working before the changer delete. I generally don't listen to the radio very often so I don't have any coinciding events to lead me down a helpful path.

Alternatively, I would much prefer it if I could just find a way to direct connect via 1/8" (aux) or bluetooth my phone to the car without spending several hundred dollars. So, if that is something that someone has some insight on, feel free to chime in! Otherwise, please help me get my radio working so I can listen to some damn morning shows!

******Attached is a couple photos of the rogue connector I found alongside the other wiring above the rear headliner near the rear dome light. Hopefully this helps.*******
on a Delorean ?
Old 08-07-2017, 03:03 AM

CL55
Close. Honda Civic. Is this not the correct forum for such a discussion?
Old 08-07-2017, 09:19 AM

CL
Close. Honda Civic. Is this not the correct forum for such a discussion?
only for a 215 or 216
and if you need help, I need to know what your car is
Old 08-07-2017, 09:21 AM

CL

only FM ?
Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 AM

CL
what you have in the front of the rood, 250, is the microphone only

the FM/tv tuner antenna is part 120

Old 08-07-2017, 01:08 PM

CL55
Also, 215.

Both AM and FM do not work. When I turn to that input I can hear faint static if I turn the volume up but that’s it. All other inputs work fine except CD Changer but it has been deleted.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:43 PM

CL
Also, 215.

Both AM and FM do not work. When I turn to that input I can hear faint static if I turn the volume up but that’s it. All other inputs work fine except CD Changer but it has been deleted.
did you verify the antenna plug on the back of your command unit ?
Old 08-07-2017, 04:18 PM

CL55
Yes. Everything appears to be connected properly.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:40 PM

CL
should be easy to find the problem

find a car antenna and connect it to your command

if it works then your cable is broken or the antenna device at the rear window is not powered or working

if not, your tuner is not working anymore
Old 08-07-2017, 04:49 PM

CL
might be your antenna booster fuse F60
test your fuses
Old 08-07-2017, 09:31 PM

CL55
Originally Posted by pmercury
might be your antenna booster fuse F60
test your fuses
all fuses are good. Checked yesterday for another reason. Now I have a new problem. It rained last night and somehow water managed to pool in the valley where the audio system resides. It didn’t get very high but it did reach the lowest component which I believe is the component you suggested plugging a car
antenna into above. P/N: A 220 870 18 89.

I looked it up and it is described as the MOST or COMMAND audio controller unless BOSE system is used (which I have). I don’t have an extra optical connector or I would test the theory but I’m fairly certain it is fried.

Maybe I’ll get lucky and it was also the reason my AM/FM Tuner wasn’t working. However, now I can’t try your suggested test to verify why my radio doesn’t work.

I did have another related question. Are the wires pictured the ones used to connect Satellite radio? My system has a button for selecting it but the unit clearly isn’t there. Just figured if I came across a a salvage car that has several good audio components I may try and pick one up with the other unit I now have to replace.

Thanks again for all all your help! I’m using the mobile site so I’m not sure if the button I’m using is for “thanking” you or not.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:04 AM

CL
Well
Wile ago I also bypassed the CD charger
my question is, did you bypass it well

you have the CD charger module and you had one fiber optic plug on it

problem was that if you unplug that you have no more radio I remember

this is because the CD charger fiber optic plug is a pass thrue also

so if you just remove the plug, you broke the system audio

whatr you need to do is follow the fiber optic from and to the device and you will understand

you can open the fiber optic cables from the plugs, one is in and one is out, always

so you need to catch the IN to the cd charger and connect it directly to the next device

difficult to explain as I don't remember in details but hoping you understand

just rememeber, if you just remove the CD charger and his fiber optic plug, YOU BROKE THE AUDIO CHAIN for your bose amp

just make sure to modify the cable to/from there to the next device or amp and you will have radio back
Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 AM

CL55
I deleted the changer some time ago and placed a splitter in the chain. This is not the cause of my problem.

As you stated, either my antenna is bad or some other component directly related to AM/FM radio is faulty. Now, in addition to AM/FM, another unit got wet and is probably now unusable. The one pictured above is the potentially faulty unit.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:03 AM

CL
I deleted the changer some time ago and placed a splitter in the chain. This is not the cause of my problem.

As you stated, either my antenna is bad or some other component directly related to AM/FM radio is faulty. Now, in addition to AM/FM, another unit got wet and is probably now unusable. The one pictured above is the potentially faulty unit.
mm

hope you done that right because there is no need for any additional wiring or splitters to get it working
in fact, the thing to understands is that, whenyou remove the cd charger fiber optic
you have a plug with in-out
you have to modify the circuit so that the in goes to out
as long as that plug is out, you have no radio

good luck
Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 AM

CL55
I did it correctly. It’s been working just fine for several years. the CD changer delete has nothing at all to do with any of my current issues. They developed long after the removal of the changer.