CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

ABC....again.... any ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
ABC....again.... any ideas?

I have gotten the dreaded red error message a few times. It goes away after I shut off and restart the car.

No leaks, fluid level OK.

Scanned with my SDS and it shows errors for all accelerometers, pressure switch, and all strut travel sensors. I cleared the codes, drove the car and they all came back a few days later when I got the red message again.

Cleared them again and put it in rodeo mode. After just a few minutes it stopped rodeoing on it's own and then popped up with a communication error message, but no fault codes.....

Lowest pressure I saw during the rodeo was 157 bar.

No recent work on the car other than trans conductor plate a couple months ago.

Going to try and unplug then re-plug in the ABC module looking close at the connections, any other ideas?????

Oh, and it seems to happen after I get on the throttle , not just while cruising. Worried it may screw up my racing on Labor Day if I don't figure it out.

Last edited by Dr Matt; 08-17-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
'06 SL65
Maybe a ground issue? could you have disturbed a ground during some of the previous work to the car? Grounds can be nasty, rearing their head at times you would not expect.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Originally Posted by PrecisionEngine
Maybe a ground issue? could you have disturbed a ground during some of the previous work to the car? Grounds can be nasty, rearing their head at times you would not expect.
Possible, but no grounds were touched in a very long time, at least over a year. Drove the car a lot last two days and it hasn't come back ......yet.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Doesn't sound like a hardware problem - more likely electrical.

What's the battery voltage with the engine running?

Nick
Old 08-18-2017, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Never saw the voltage drop below 12.2 when I was scanning the car with my SDS, but that was with the car off. I have not been watching it otherwise. I'll keep an eye on it today when I drive the car.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:50 AM

'06 SL65
Out of curiosity, could you make sure the battery terminals have a snug and clean connection?
Old 08-18-2017, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Will do. Voltage looks good, 13.7-14.0 this morning.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:25 PM
NRL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL65, FJ80, Sportsmobile 4x4, Model X Plaid
Originally Posted by Dr Matt
I have gotten the dreaded red error message a few times. It goes away after I shut off and restart the car.

No leaks, fluid level OK.

Scanned with my SDS and it shows errors for all accelerometers, pressure switch, and all strut travel sensors. I cleared the codes, drove the car and they all came back a few days later when I got the red message again.

Cleared them again and put it in rodeo mode. After just a few minutes it stopped rodeoing on it's own and then popped up with a communication error message, but no fault codes.....

Lowest pressure I saw during the rodeo was 157 bar.

No recent work on the car other than trans conductor plate a couple months ago.

Going to try and unplug then re-plug in the ABC module looking close at the connections, any other ideas?????

Oh, and it seems to happen after I get on the throttle , not just while cruising. Worried it may screw up my racing on Labor Day if I don't figure it out.

Have you done the accumulators yet?

For me a couple years ago, got the Red Message, ordered the accumulators, drained ABC, swapped out the accumulators, refilled (new filters)... Message gone.

I inspected the accumulators(removed) and one of them the membrane inside broke..I think they all eventually break...
Old 08-18-2017, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
I did all 4 (accumulators & pulsation dampener) a few years and about 20,000 miles ago the first time my HPE hose blew. It literally popped in my driveway and I shut the car off long before much of the fluid ran out. Replaced every hose that had any sign of a fluid leak. Also flushed system and replaced the filter then, and again about 1-1/2 years ago when I put in a new front valve block.

My rear valve block is bleeding down intermittently now though so still have that to deal with, but I do not believe that is related at all.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
I wouldn't be Racing with that huge issue. I had a hose go and car completely shut down. If I was in any curve I would have crashed.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Totally agree. I never have and never will run a car that has an issue. I will only race if the issue is resolved, but I really want to run one more weekend before I retire the CL from the track!

Even if the car isn't right I'll still be at the track as I'm going to use a friends 8 second open air car to qualify for a higher level license. Should be fun running 150mph in a T-bucket! Just need to loose a few more pounds as her pants are pretty tight for me to get in, lol.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by Dr Matt
Totally agree. I never have and never will run a car that has an issue. I will only race if the issue is resolved, but I really want to run one more weekend before I retire the CL from the track!

Even if the car isn't right I'll still be at the track as I'm going to use a friends 8 second open air car to qualify for a higher level license. Should be fun running 150mph in a T-bucket! Just need to loose a few more pounds as her pants are pretty tight for me to get in, lol.
Smart.

The steering went completely dead and you couldn't move it. When one hydraulic system goes then the whole car is dangerous.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Originally Posted by PrecisionEngine
Out of curiosity, could you make sure the battery terminals have a snug and clean connection?

I think we may have a winner here......

Checked the battery this morning. Due to location of the battery, one of the mods I have done is a quick disconnect at the positive terminal of the battery, and sure enough it was loose. Really loose.

I'm normally pretty meticulous (my wife, kid, friends, etc. use a different word) so to find that loose when I checked it was a shocker. It was loose enough I'm actually surprised the car even had enough of a connection to start.

I'll keep driving the car and see if the issue comes back., no way to know until it doesn't return over time.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:04 PM

'06 SL65
Good deal.