CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Should I buy this car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55 AMG
Should I buy this car?

Q: Should I buy this car?
A friend is selling pristine '03 CL55 AMG, only 59k miles. The car drives excellent, everything works, hardly a scratch on the black paint. But it requires new front struts/springs (whatevs they're officially called), trunk latch/wire harness, new plugs and wires, the valve covers leak, some minor other items and fluid swaps. If the car can be had for $10k, and the fixes cost $4k...should I grab this thing? It's not my daily driver, would be for a second home so wouldn't be putting a lot of miles on it - would enjoy a nice ride when in town. BUT...this is a very complicated, 15 yr old car...so are future repair costs going to make me regret it? Budget isn't a huge limitation, but I don't want to spend much on a car I'll hardly drive.

Last edited by curiousbenzer; 03-23-2018 at 12:55 AM. Reason: photo added
Old 03-23-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CL55AMG
These cars needs to be driven. ABC suspension system needs work. It could be costly repair in to few thousand dollars at the shop. Trunk larch is vacuum pump related , couple hundred to thousand dollars. Its a good buy for low mileage CL55amg even after spending $4K on the repair at the indy shop.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2008 CL550
Scrap the ABC and get a coilover solution. Trunk repair is a DYI. Couple hundred bucks for the lock at Parts.com, few bucks for some JB weld, a half hour in the trunk - done. Probably ready for engine and transmission mounts, maybe bushings in the front suspension. And you'll have to get rid of the horrible Command system.