CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Urgent Need Help With My CL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65
Urgent Need Help With My CL

Hey guys,

I own a 2005 CL65 AMG, with a Eurocharged bench flash tune. Theres a very odd issue occuring at the moment. The car feels like it has no power, it used to have that feel where it would push you back into your seat, that no longer exists just feels as if the boost is not there. I had the drivers side Coils and plugs changed in 2018 and passengers side changed in 2015 both with less then 10k on them. Had the radiator changed aswell recently. Most frustrating concern is that the car just feels as if there’s no boost present although i can hear the turbos spooling up and they are pretty loud when flooring on 3rd gear, its almost like the turbos are trying to put out the boost but cant you can feel the boost in the first second or 2 on throttle and then it just quits, gas mileage is also very bad. At this point im not sure whats going on. Theres no CEL, or any other lights or codes present. Any insight would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
How many miles on your car? Do you know someone with STAR that may be able to find any stored codes? My first thoughts with bad mileage and loss of power would be clogged cats. Although, I'd think you would get a CEL. In reality it could be a number of different things. Do any of the symtoms go away when restarting the car? The more info you give, the better shot for help. Post a video at idle and driving. It might not be a bad idea to just bring it to an independent Mercedes repair shop, before you possibly cause more problems. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
A failed intercooler pump will not set a CEL but the high temps will cause the tune to pull boost. I'd start there, but have the car scanned, there will be some sort of info there, even without a light on the dash yet.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:04 PM

CL65
The vehicle only has 58000miles, theres a strong fuel smell aswell, when I got the rad changed (from mercedes) I got the car back and it was powerless same thing as what’s occurring now, I took the car back to the shop and they said the “Charge air circuit” had a air pocket in it. They bled the system i got the car back and it was great, car pulled like a beast. 5 days ago I took the car back to mercedes because on a startup it misfired, they told me its because of your “ecu tune”, And ever since I got the car back from mercedes the 3rd time its powerless again like back to stage one & today my engine temp was at 90 degrees celcius for the first time on a fairly cold night.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
What did benz do the last time?

It sounds like your intercooler circuit is having issues. Gotta have it properly diagnosed.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
How many miles on your plugs? With the tune you should change the spark plugs every 10k miles, otherwise tune shouldn't be an issue. Maybe ItalianJoe can chime in, but if the car is misfiring it will probably be dumping fuel . I'm not sure if ECU stops the injector from firing to prevent that. Even though you changed the coils, what about the voltage regulator? As Joe said start with thr intercooler system; especially if you had a similar problem and it was temporarily fixed.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:04 PM

CL65
I know for a fact both side plugs and coils have less then 5k miles on them. The very last time i took it to mercedes i told them it was leaking coolant they checked it out topped up the coolant tank to the top of the cap, not sure what else they did. But it seems as if they did do something in which i dont know because before i sent the car there the last time it ran great power wise. Now the car vibrates going 80-90miles and goes away under and over it. Also turbo makes a loud like noise (not sure how to explain the noise) as if its like blocked or something only under load.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:41 PM

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts
W215 CL65
Originally Posted by Princeobahi
Hey guys,

I own a 2005 CL65 AMG, with a Eurocharged bench flash tune. Theres a very odd issue occuring at the moment. The car feels like it has no power, it used to have that feel where it would push you back into your seat, that no longer exists just feels as if the boost is not there. I had the drivers side Coils and plugs changed in 2018 and passengers side changed in 2015 both with less then 10k on them. Had the radiator changed aswell recently. Most frustrating concern is that the car just feels as if there’s no boost present although i can hear the turbos spooling up and they are pretty loud when flooring on 3rd gear, its almost like the turbos are trying to put out the boost but cant you can feel the boost in the first second or 2 on throttle and then it just quits, gas mileage is also very bad. At this point im not sure whats going on. Theres no CEL, or any other lights or codes present. Any insight would be gratefully appreciated.
Did you check the Map sensor? Very easy to break or could possible be bad. Will not cause a check engine light and will cause huge loss of power like you are saying.
It is the sensor attached to the metal bracket and sits elevated above the throttle body/ignition transformer. I have broken this during service and experience huge power loss and no check light.

Best of luck,