CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL65 sure heats up FAST

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
cl65
CL65 sure heats up FAST

I'm still very new to this car but I've noticed that it seems to heat up FAST. Just yesterday I started the car and let it run for maybe 10 minutes in my driveway to check some things and it was already up to operating temperature (a little past 80 degrees Celsius). I then turned off the car the and touch the metal engine cover and it was already HOT. The whole time it idled in the driveway the hood was open. Is this normal? Seems like the intercoolers heat up so fast they would be warming up the intake air instead of cooling it. I don't have any check engine codes and the coolant is topped off. Just wondering, as this amazing car is still so new to me.

I've also recorded some engine sounds on my phone that I would like the groups help with but I'm not sure how to upload them. What is the best method?

Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
The intercooler's will warm up quick because sitting still with no cooling fan running there is NO airflow over the heat exchanger. The system is pretty decent at high speed but sucks for sitting still. I installed a Killer Chiller and bypassed the stock H/E and my intercooler's will get ice on them at idle.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by WikedV12
I'm still very new to this car but I've noticed that it seems to heat up FAST.
And cools down slowly!

The intercooler system is certainly vulnerable to engine heat. I've done a lot of work on this, with a programmable pump controller, IC coolant temp gauge, and lot of heat shields and temp sensitive tape. The short story is that the whole engine compartment runs at engine coolant temp all the time, and anything near the turbos and cats gets grilled.

The IC's are prone to heat soak, but the day-today problem is less down to turbo boost, and more due to heat soak when you shut down after a run. The IC is hot when you re-start even hours later, and it take a long time to cool down, especially with a stock system that works off charge air temperature, not charge cooler water temperature. If you're driving off boost, the air can be cool even when the water is hot, so the pump may even stay off.

Nick
Old 06-05-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
cl65
Thanks for the comments. I guess I was just surprised given the engineering that went into this car. But I guess it comes down to the limited space due to the size of the engine. I know on my turbo diesel truck the intercooler is air to air and is HUGE and seems to always be cool. The CL65 setup just seems like it heat soaks the cool air intake more than it helps....at least at slow speeds. Thanks again for the wealth of information!!!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can wire the I/C pump to run continuously. Then it will act like an air to air transferring heat all the time.
But in the end, it is an extremely heat soaked atmosphere compared to the Cummins in the Ram.