CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

01 CL55 plagued with electrical problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CL55 AMG
01 CL55 plagued with electrical problems

I'll list them in the order in which the issues started occurring, any input would be really appreciated.

1. About a year ago, turning key all the way over in the ignition and nothing happens, car won't start, sometimes it takes a few minutes of repeating the process of entering the key in the ignition and turning and holding for a minute, sometimes longer than a minute, to get the ignition to finally kick\turn over. I can say that when the ignition finally does initiate the car starts immediately. When the car has warmed up after driving for about 20 minutes, if I were to turn the car off and then turn it back on it would start instantly. This issue only occurs when trying to start for the first time in the morning for example - Have had this issue for over a year

2. When I finally get the car to start in the morning, all of the electronic driving safety features malfunction and error out. ABS, Cruise Control, Traction control, etc. After the car has warmed up, I restart the car and the electrical driving systems are back and functioning.

3. About 2-3 weeks ago, my rear tail lights will now not turn off no matter what I do, I learned this when my car battery was dead one morning and I noticed that they weren't turning off. "Stop Lamp defective" on the dash is the error generated by the tail lights not turning off. I've been unplugging the battery every night as a work around. I tried unplugging the tail lights instead of disconnecting the battery, but my battery still died, so it looks like there is something else draining the battery.

4. Yesterday, and this has been the worst of it all. While driving I received the error "Display Defective", along with "Active Body Control drive carefully", when stepping down on my accelerator the car was barely moving, probably 1/4th the power, and then it felt like I lost 50% of power steering, I thought my ABC pump went. Restarting the car temporarily resolved the issues with the accelerator and power steering. I had to repeat the process of restarting the car 2-3 times on my way home yesterday as I was losing power steering and engine power every so often.

5. My drive this morning, my windows will now not roll down or up nor will my seat adjustment functions work. I did not loose power steering or engine power this time, but issues 1,2,3 all continuing as normal.

I had the battery tested by advanced auto, it was charged and they said nothing was wrong with the battery and it's in a healthy state. I had it charged there and then picked it up the next day. This was about 2 weeks ago.

I did some self diagnosing, I noticed the passenger side floor was really wet from a rain storm about 2-3 weeks ago. My everyday parking spot in the past 6 months is not a garage so it is exposed to a lot more rain which may be tied to the issues. The plastic cover that protects the undercarriage, underneath the passenger side floor is damaged\ripped so I think water is getting kicked up from the front wheel into the passenger undercarriage area and entering the vehicle. After looking into it more I started looking at all the fuse boxes in the car to make sure they are all dry\clean. All good except there is a fuse box below the back seat on the passenger side, I opened the cover recently and noticed some water in there. I did my best to remove the water with a shammy but I feel like water has been constantly building up in this spot, its still a little damp in there from the wet carpet\cushions. Do you guys think this fuse box is the culprit behind all of my issues?

Last edited by mbenzCL55; 08-08-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CL600 2003
Common problem; water gets in from overflowing drain, rear SAM gets water damage...

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w22...-location.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ins-clean.html