CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Can you lift a CL by the pinch seam??

Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
cl65
Can you lift a CL by the pinch seam??

I posted this in another topic but got no response. I was having an issue lifting my car with a scissor lift, specifically getting the arms to match up with the factory rubber lifting pads.

Over the weekend I removed some underbody plastic panels and noticed that right next to the rubber lifting pads are the factory pinch seams. On most other cars that is the factory lifting spots so I was wondering if that would work for my lift? I did try lifting the car from those spots and it was stable and seemed fine so I plan on using those spots unless someone knows a reason NOT to use the factory pinch seam.

Thanks again for any help.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2006 W221 S500L
I've seen those split on the seam even on cars where it is the official lift spot so my advice would be to avoid 'm if you can.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:35 PM

cl65
Thanks for the advice. I've always used that spot on "regular" cars and I've never had a problem. I'm more cautious on this car. After I tried lifting it I didn't see any bending or issues with the pinch weld. I used new rubber pads between the arms and the weld. i would rather use the factory lifting pads but the arms on my lift just don't reach.

I wonder if this method will be ok if I just monitor the welds after each lift??

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:33 AM

cl65
Well, based on the incredible response from this forum, I think I will go ahead and use the pinch welds to lift the car this weekend.

Yep, this forum isn't dead....but it sure is SLOW..............
Old 09-04-2018, 03:46 PM

cl65
Well, just wanted to provide an update. The car was up on the lift (on the pinch welds next to the factory lifting spots) all weekend. The car is stable and secure. I don't see any weld separation or bending (I have new rubber pads on the arms). It was nice to have it on the lift as I can do some maintenance that I've been wanting to get done for a while now.

Thanks.