CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL55 AMG V8 Kompressor oil change - HELP neded!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 SL55 P030, 2005 CL55 AMG
Exclamation CL55 AMG V8 Kompressor oil change - HELP neded!

Hello everyone and greetings from Israel

Recently i become the proud owener of a much loved CL55 AMG V8 Kompressor.

As i have the intention of doing by myself an oil & filter change on this car, i find some things a bit confusing. Maybe one of you more expirenced guy's here can make things clear for me. Any help would be much appreciated.

First of all let me start by saying that by all means i am not a pro in auto repairs/maintanence but things that are not to complicated i like to do on my own, and also save some cash as a bonus. It's also the first time i am operating on an M113K engine.

In all those years of servicing my cars at the MB dealers and from talking with some mechanics, i understood that MB recomands sucking the oil out of the engine instead of draining it by removing the bolt on the oil pan (i allready have an oil extractor). I was explained the reason is by using an oil extractor you will be able take all the oil out of the engine, maybe I am wrong but this is what i was explained.

In all of youtube i cant find even one CL55 Kompressor oil change video, insted there are lots of E55 Kompressor video's. In non of them i saw the use of an extractor, and everyone were draining the oil.

Things started to get confusing when I asked a youtuber guy after watching one of his video’s about an oil change on an E55 (He drained the oil by removing the 2 bolts on the oil pan). He stated in his answer to me that, MB recomands draining out the oil out and not suctioning it. That the M113K engine has 2 bolts which means the oil pan is chambered, this is why sucking the oil is not suitble for this engine and only way taking all the oil out is by drainage.

Now, on the other side, one of my mechanics said that there is no problem sucking the oil and no need for drainage….. sucktion is beter etc.

Can anyone please make things clear for me? How should I proceed? Which way is better for the CL55 Kompressor, drainage or suction? Is it true the the oil pan on the CL55 is chambered?

I have an oil extractor and this way I can do the oil change by myself, for drainage I would have to visit a work shop.

Thank you in advance for any information shared.

Cheers
Yair
Old 03-26-2019, 09:05 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
Check Tavarish on Youtube. he did a very informative series on an SL55K Suspension conversion, maintenance, upgrades to supercharger. There is also another video on Youtube showing how to change the Kompressor Oil.
Rick
Old 03-26-2019, 09:09 AM

2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
My 03 CL55K oil changes are done by draining the oil. It has a conventional dipstick and drain plugs. I feel it is the easiest way. I have talked to some MB techs and the suction is just more convenient for them since they don't have to lift the car. They did mention it is a requirement for newer MB cars.

Last edited by Puerto Rick; 03-26-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-2019, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Every video I see is 2 drain plugs pulled.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Puerto Rick
My 03 CL55K oil changes are done by draining the oil. It has a conventional dipstick and drain plugs. I feel it is the easiest way. I have talked to some MB techs and the suction is just more convenient for them since they don't have to lift the car. They did mention it is a requirement for newer MB cars.
My CL dont have a dipstick at all, as i know the M113K engines didnt come with dipsticks.
Since i allready have an oil extractor it's more convenient for me to use suction otherwise if i have to drain i must visit a workshop as i dont have a lift.

Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
Every video I see is 2 drain plugs pulled.
I am not sure if in all those videos 2 bolts are unpluged becose it's cheaper for DIY'ers then buying an extractor or thats the only way to take all the oil out of the engine becose the oil pan is chambered? hopefully someone here can clear this issue.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:39 AM

2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
Not sure on the procedure to suction the oil out and be sure you are getting it all out. Best bet is to get a service manual
Old 03-28-2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Puerto Rick
Not sure on the procedure to suction the oil out and be sure you are getting it all out. Best bet is to get a service manual
I have looked into the owner's manual, it says the CL55 has 7.5L, so basically i need to have this amount in the container after i am done with the suction to be 100% sure all the oil is out.

current updates!

I have lifted the car today for the first time since i've got her.
I have a knocking noise when steering at low speeds, found out i need to replace the tie rods & tie rods end. Anyway, i have checked the oil pan and suprise, only one Bolt!!!
Looks like it might be safe to use the oil extractor. But still, just to be 100% sure if someone out here knows otherwise or can add some information, i will appreciate it.

I will update about findings

Last edited by superveloche; 03-28-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I have been using an oil extractor on my 2003 CL55 for oil changes going on 15 years now. It works and is easy.

I had to replace the oil level sensor 4-5 years back. To do this the oil pan needed to be removed. I am happy to report there was absolutely NO sludge in the oil pan when I preformed this service which showed me there are no negative effects using the extractor. The bottom of the oil pan has a dip in it where the extractor tube bottoms out. This will allow almost complete oil removal from the pan.
The following 2 users liked this post by awiner:
biker349 (03-28-2019), superveloche (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
thanks.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by awiner
I have been using an oil extractor on my 2003 CL55 for oil changes going on 15 years now. It works and is easy.

I had to replace the oil level sensor 4-5 years back. To do this the oil pan needed to be removed. I am happy to report there was absolutely NO sludge in the oil pan when I preformed this service which showed me there are no negative effects using the extractor. The bottom of the oil pan has a dip in it where the extractor tube bottoms out. This will allow almost complete oil removal from the pan.
Thank you Adam

You have no ideea how reassuring your reply is!
I had replaced the oil level sensor last year on my 2001 W220. Until i figured it was the oil sensor i tought i was going mad at the begining it said to add oil, so i did. Then it said to take out oil, so i did. Then again to add oil........ every time i was checking the dipstick it was ok actually. I started to have serious doubts about were i was going crazy

Do you use a dipstick on the CL55 to reassure level oil?
After the madness of an oil sensor going crazy and me going also that path i am thinking serios on geting a dipstick

Last edited by superveloche; 03-29-2019 at 06:01 AM.