MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) (https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-cl65-amg-cl63-amg-c215-c216-50/)
-   -   Looking for turbo info, 2005 cl65 (https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-cl65-amg-cl63-amg-c215-c216/742715-looking-turbo-info-2005-cl65.html)

pnice219 04-23-2019 06:39 PM

Looking for turbo info, 2005 cl65

I am excited, this is my first post regarding a present I bought myself, a 2005 cl65 with 35,000 miles, love the car. Most of my automotive experience prior to this animal was a Pontiac, Geo, and diesel trucks. I have found very little information regarding the turbos on the cl. Just out of curiosity, are these turbos VCT? A trick used in the diesel world is changing the compressor wheel with one that flows more air. Is there a similar option for the Benz? Who out there supports these turbos and V12 engines?

Thanks all, I have more questions but I will send out separate posts for those.

Welwynnick 05-11-2019 03:26 AM

The first thing to do with these cars is make sure everything is good at stock spec.

Are the spark plugs good? ALL fluids and filters? Lambda sensors?

Make sure the charge cooling system is working properly. They often have air in them.

Second thing is get a tune from a reputable company like Kleeman or Eurocharged.

Upgrading the turbos is a fraught path follow, and a V8TT might be a better starting point for big power. See the thread about the ambitious Speedriven project.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...t-my-cl65.html

Nick

pnice219 05-15-2019 06:17 AM

Thanks Welwynnick, car has new plugs and coils. All fluids have been replaced, and a LSD has been installed for all this future power increases. It even has new hydraulic suspension oil due to a hose blowing. I read that thread about Speedriven, sad. I am not looking to do a complete build like they tried. I was wondering if there are any tricks to have those turbos push a little more air. The diesel guys have all sorts of tricks to get their turbos to puff harder, like changing out the compressor wheel. I have not been able to find any info on the turbos, like if they are VCT, let alone components to modify them.

I live 10 miles from AMR, so those guys are going to dyno tune my car, hopefully in a couple of weeks, doing that and a muffler delete. Might just keep things there, although I really want to do water/meth injection, and hi flow cats.

Thanks
pnice

BlownV8 05-15-2019 11:25 AM

The turbos are built into the manifolds and the manifolds are very restrictive so even if you change the compressor wheel the power is limited. The only way to really change the turbos is to have higher flowing turbo manifolds made for your engine. I'm at that point with mine since I have all the other supporting mods. Finding someone who I trust to do the work and who will do it without having to mortgage my home is tough.

Speedriven would do the fabrication work but I did not want to send my car to them. They were not known for completing projects quickly. Their sales guy was a total ****head so I didn't want to deal with him. My 600 has almost all their parts except the turbo manifolds. That's the only thing my car needs to make 900+hp.

Khoi Bung Phe 05-15-2019 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8 (Post 7755988)
The turbos are built into the manifolds and the manifolds are very restrictive so even if you change the compressor wheel the power is limited. The only way to really change the turbos is to have higher flowing turbo manifolds made for your engine. I'm at that point with mine since I have all the other supporting mods. Finding someone who I trust to do the work and who will do it without having to mortgage my home is tough.

Speedriven would do the fabrication work but I did not want to send my car to them. They were not known for completing projects quickly. Their sales guy was a total ****head so I didn't want to deal with him. My 600 has almost all their parts except the turbo manifolds. That's the only thing my car needs to make 900+hp.

Aren't they out of business already? Want to mod mine too

BlownV8 05-16-2019 08:23 AM

Yes, they shut down a year or more ago but looks like he is still on the forum doing one off modifications.