CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

keeping transmission alive 2005 cl65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 cl 65
Talking keeping transmission alive 2005 cl65

I remember reading Mercedes limits the torque on my 2005 cl65 to save the transmission. I always thought the torque curve would be a flat plateau, not much of a curve (I'll find out what it looks like for real, more on that later). I am going to do "stage 1." Since I have found very little support for these cars, my stage 1 will be a simple intake like I've seen here, resonator delete, maybe water/meth and a dyno tune at AMR. My question is what have you all done to keep your transmission alive with a stage 1 power increase? What would be needed for a stage 2, which involves downpipes, turbo, and more tuning?

Thanks all
Old 05-22-2019, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
i think all benz cars of this era has a torque limiter, whether it was 15% or what i cannot remember

enable dyno mode and i believe the torque is de-limited. plenty of people add power to these cars and there doesn't seem to be common complaints of transmission failure etc. the 722.6 i believe you have, is largely robust

i know of one mod where the transmission oil pan can be enlarged, made of billet and has a sort of heatsink design built in. its designed for high HP applications

i would also consider adding a dedicated tranny cooler. they say heat is the biggest enemy of transmissions. hell, i'm even considereding adding an aux tranny cooler to my 360~hp cl55 swap because why not. I plan to keep this car for a long time and have no other use for this ABC radiator i no longer need

just expect to need a tranny rebuild sooner with than normal , with more power, for example. after 100k miles or so i consider this to be considered part of maintenance anyways.