Notices
CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (W215, W216) Discuss the CL55, CL65, and the CL63 AMG.

Devastated. No compression cylinder 3

 
Old 05-21-2019, 03:39 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 172
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63, ML63, R500, GLK
Devastated. No compression cylinder 3

Was driving to work and my CL63 shuddered and stopped. Took it to my Mercedes tech and he reported no compression cylinder 3. Not sure if I should keep him digging to see if itís something that can me fixed or source an engine.

Next question would be... can I drop in a biturbo engine?

Last edited by princemarko; 05-21-2019 at 03:44 AM.
princemarko is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 04:08 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my garage
Posts: 5,978
Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts
E55, SL600, GL450, GL63
Anything is possible with enough time and money. Contact a big name tuner to see if they can tune or create a custom wiring harness for the new engine using your old ECU. It will be easier and probably cheaper to swap in a used engine and ditch the car.
BlownV8 is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 08:43 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 172
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63, ML63, R500, GLK
Originally Posted by BlownV8 View Post
Anything is possible with enough time and money. Contact a big name tuner to see if they can tune or create a custom wiring harness for the new engine using your old ECU. It will be easier and probably cheaper to swap in a used engine and ditch the car.

I found 2 M156.984 engines. One with 35,000 miles and one with 55,000 miles. Both same price just under 7k. I have a fantastic Mercedes mechanic and I still owe 15k on it so i'm not just ditching it at this point.
princemarko is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 11:38 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my garage
Posts: 5,978
Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts
E55, SL600, GL450, GL63
While the engine is out, have your mechanic update the headbolts.
BlownV8 is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 12:38 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 760
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
can't bad valves cause a no compression scenario? im trying to understand why you're deeming this engine a total loss already. are valves not replaceable?
ctravis595 is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 172
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63, ML63, R500, GLK
Originally Posted by ctravis595 View Post
can't bad valves cause a no compression scenario? im trying to understand why you're deeming this engine a total loss already. are valves not replaceable?

Its a cost thing at this point. He thinks there could be a valve issue but the piston is cracked, no compression... If i try to repair it, i need head bolts, intake manifold since both are old and in need of replacement and likely 100 other things in a 110,000 mile engine. I can buy a 30k mile engine for 6500 right now and plug it in...
princemarko is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:09 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my garage
Posts: 5,978
Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts
E55, SL600, GL450, GL63
Don't try to rebuild. Used drop in engine is your best course of action.
BlownV8 is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 10:54 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 760
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
im often a huge advocate of swapping in a good used engine on these cars VS. major engine work, especially since my AMG swap, i've been nothing but satisfied ever since. just wanted to make sure you weren't overlooking anything before considering this engine a loss....was just watching one of LegitStreetCars videos on youtube where the dealership deemed a great s55(?) a total loss over a simple repair
ctravis595 is offline  
Old 05-24-2019, 11:42 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 172
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63, ML63, R500, GLK
My mechanic is solid... heís going to open it up to make sure but itís a cost issue on a 100,000+ engine

Originally Posted by ctravis595 View Post
im often a huge advocate of swapping in a good used engine on these cars VS. major engine work, especially since my AMG swap, i've been nothing but satisfied ever since. just wanted to make sure you weren't overlooking anything before considering this engine a loss....was just watching one of LegitStreetCars videos on youtube where the dealership deemed a great s55(?) a total loss over a simple repair
princemarko is offline  
Old 05-25-2019, 10:35 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my garage
Posts: 5,978
Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts
E55, SL600, GL450, GL63
Don't let him try to rebuild or repair if it is a cylinder or piston issue. Just drop in the used engine and go. Again, make sure he does the head bolts and head gasket before dropping back in the car.
BlownV8 is offline  
Old 05-25-2019, 11:18 AM
  #11  
Super Member
 
chassis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 905
Received 105 Likes on 103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC, 2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i
BlownV8, what would prevent a rebuild in the case of a failed piston?
chassis is offline  
Old 05-25-2019, 11:28 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my garage
Posts: 5,978
Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts
E55, SL600, GL450, GL63
If it damaged the cylinder wall and you had to get oversized pistons, you are better off putting in used. If the piston walls are not damaged, you could drop in a new piston. Problem is, labor eats you up on repairs vs swapping the engine. Plus, you have the variable of the mechanic doing the work properly.
BlownV8 is offline  
Old 05-26-2019, 11:04 AM
  #13  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 172
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63, ML63, R500, GLK
Exactly. We are opening it up to see cylinder wall. The mechanic is one of the best Mercedes mechanics in Florida.

Originally Posted by BlownV8 View Post
If it damaged the cylinder wall and you had to get oversized pistons, you are better off putting in used. If the piston walls are not damaged, you could drop in a new piston. Problem is, labor eats you up on repairs vs swapping the engine. Plus, you have the variable of the mechanic doing the work properly.
princemarko is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Devastated. No compression cylinder 3


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: