CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

The new BMW M6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new BMW M6

I dunno but that new M6 looks awfully nice and is just as fast if not faster then the CL55 and even CL600. If I had to bet on it I'd say the price is a few thousand dollars less for an equally good car. 'm not sure about the pricing as it doesn't sem to have been released yet.

Just wondering what some of you guys think about the new M which will be the long awaited for equalizer from BMW in terms of performance and speed.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
Nice to have you back enarang. I guess the M6 is okay looking but could it beat a CL600?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:45 PM

NSX
I spent a lot of time looking at both cars. The 6 and the CL... and I finaly bought a CL. Used mind you, but I felt a 2 year old CL was a better car overall than a brand new 6 series in terms of build quality, solidity, and comfort. The M6 will be a lot more powerful and the 6 is already quick. It is more of a sports car than the CL (only automatics in the CL), but it is not the same level of car. If you spend a lot of time with both, you will feel the difference.

The 6 is crapmed, not as luxurious, and honestly I find the active steering a little weird... its like there is jello between the steering wheel and the front wheels at times. It may be fixed in the M, and it will be a very fun car... but I feel the 6 overall is just a notch down from a CL. I also think an M6 will still cost less than a CL55.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:04 PM

II think the m6 will be relatively cheaper in price to the CL55. I'm guessing a 645Ci comes in the ballpark of 70-75K. The M should be about a 20K jump over that at most to say 95K.

The 0-60 projected time is I've read anywhere from 4.3-4.6 seconds. 1/4 miles and top speed are all on par with the top Benz 600's and 55's. The published time is 4.5 seconds but it might be a tick faster or slower I don't think a 0.1 second difference in the 60 sprint or .1 or .3 in the 1/4 should make the difference in the cars.

The M is now the ultimate performance and luxury package that BMW owners have long been waiting for. Finally it can perform just as good and if not better then the top Benz models.

Hmmm... I know that this is against BMW philosophy and almost like a cardinal sin but what the hell in god's name would happen if BMW took this already killer 500 horsepower V10 and supercharged it or turbocharged it. Throw in some higher torque numbers and you've got one MIND BLOWINGLY FAST car. I would like to know if that can be possible and what the cost of the cars would be???

In terms of luxury and performance which is the better package the CL600/ CL55 or the M6?

(Don't say oh if you can afford it you will get the CL600 because it is more expensive). People who can afford one can afford the other in almost all cases so I'm just trying to figure out what is the better car.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:31 AM

C32 AMG
I would still say the CL is the classier car, the M5/M6 is badass though
Old 01-19-2005, 06:28 AM

Cayenne Turbo
CL55 or M6??? It would be hard to choose:
Attached Thumbnails The new BMW M6-44884860_l.jpg   The new BMW M6-45186397_l.jpg   The new BMW M6-45186644_l.jpg  
Old 01-19-2005, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
Originally Posted by stefi
Not really, that thing is ugly! Good lord, what it BMW doing?
Old 01-19-2005, 01:35 PM

well the car is not shown in the greatest color possible.

So is it possible to turbocharge or supercharge BMW's 500 horsepower V10. I'm sure it is possible. Then BMW's M division would produce cars that would be just as fast and probably faster then the AMG versions. Gee... what would happen if the 500 horsepower V10 was placed in the new M3?

It would be similar philosophy to AMG in that they take the same engine or very similar to it and place it in just about every car they make.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
Just another Bangled mess!

No thanks
Old 01-19-2005, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
color and rims on that car = but the 6 series is one of the few tolerable bangle designs (actually real slick looking IMO, coupe or convert.)
Old 01-19-2005, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
Turbocharging or supercharging the V10 would not be a good idea in my opinion. Way too much stress for the engine to handle. Aren't all M engines stressed from the factory with its high compression ratio?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:06 PM

NSX
It would have to be a totally different motor to be turbo or supercharged. Too high a compression from the factory.

I still think the CL is a much more luxurious car. The 6 is more sporty. There will still be a $30K difference in price and I personally feel it is justified.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:46 PM

300E
6 and CL is not an apple to an apple comparison.
Compare 6 with CLK.

I personally think the new M6 looks amazing with its carbon fiber roof.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MB AMG
Turbocharging or supercharging the V10 would not be a good idea in my opinion. Way too much stress for the engine to handle. Aren't all M engines stressed from the factory with its high compression ratio?
Agreed. It's dangerous when not done right.

The M6 > Any CL.

The rims are beautiful, and I love the aggressive look of the M6. I want one in black on black!
Old 01-20-2005, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Hey you guys......take a good look at the 6 series front end....It got that Hitler mustache... .....
Old 01-20-2005, 12:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by ENARANG
I dunno but that new M6 looks awfully nice and is just as fast if not faster then the CL55 and even CL600. .
Have you ever driven a CL or a 6 series? The 6 series is a nice car (although it looks like a Solara). Fun to drive; however, it is not in the same category as a CL. It does not deserve to be on the same street (and I love BMWs). The CL is finished better, looks better and that V12 is one of the best motors in any GT in the world today. If it's faster, and I doubt that it would be faster (BMWs are also limited to 155 mph) than the V12, top speed is a fraction of the experience.

CLs are the MB Big Poppa car. The Bimmer is not. The CL seems to be more exclusive. I've only seen one other CL since I bought mine in December and I see the BMW almost everyday. I looked at a 6 series 1st. I liked it, but when I looked at the CL (and mine is only a CL500) I saw that the Benz is superior in all areas important to me: Style, presence, ride, comfort, and pimpinality--all those thing a Benz should be. If I wanted to race, I'll buy a Ferrrari.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:51 AM

I think comfort wise the 6-series would be better. MB's Command system is also tough to use and a real pain in the *ss when driving. I think the CL should be in the same category as the 6. Although one might be more expensive the two cars are both polar opposites when it comes to the driving experience.

The M6 is the art of BMW style, speed, comfort and prestige all in one fast machine. The car feels more livelier then the CL probably due to its smaller size. The M6 feels like a sporty car that is waiting to respond to the driver's every command while covering them in head to to toe in luxury.

The CL is the luxurious coupe. It doesn't feel as responsive in my opinion as the 6. I see the CL as a luxury cruiser that is fast but does not have that same road eating presence. Also if you think of it if the car didn't have turbos then it would be pretty slow.

BMW delivers that speed and power all in one smooth rush. The BMW might be limited to 155 but if you take off that limiter you will be awfully close to the 200 m.p.h mark.

What happened if BMW created a slightly smaller engine but turbocharged it just like MB and threw it into every car?

THE OFFICIAL AMG vs. M WAR WoULD BE UNDERWAY

Good news: IT ALREADY IS
Old 01-20-2005, 09:53 AM

2007 CL600
I think comfort wise the 6-series would be better. MB's Command system is also tough to use and a real pain in the *ss when driving. I think the CL should be in the same category as the 6. Although one might be more expensive the two cars are both polar opposites when it comes to the driving experience.

The M6 is the art of BMW style, speed, comfort and prestige all in one fast machine. The car feels more livelier then the CL probably due to its smaller size. The M6 feels like a sporty car that is waiting to respond to the driver's every command while covering them in head to to toe in luxury.

The CL is the luxurious coupe. It doesn't feel as responsive in my opinion as the 6. I see the CL as a luxury cruiser that is fast but does not have that same road eating presence. Also if you think of it if the car didn't have turbos then it would be pretty slow.

BMW delivers that speed and power all in one smooth rush. The BMW might be limited to 155 but if you take off that limiter you will be awfully close to the 200 m.p.h mark.

What happened if BMW created a slightly smaller engine but turbocharged it just like MB and threw it into every car?

I agree that the 6 has a sportier nature. It's a great car, but it's just not at the CL's level. When I was looking at the 6, I had it for an entire day on a borrowed car agreement, 8 hours. I also worked out the same type of test drive for my CL as well as a CL600 (the 600 was the dealership owner's car). The 600 was in a completly different universe than the 6. The CL500 was very similar to the 600 in terms of feel and just felt better FOR ME. The only reason that I didn't buy the CL600 is that we had just bought an SL600 three weeks prior and we wanted a car that was more practical (fuel efficient).

I can't say anythingbad about the 6, but it pales in overall performance (style, comfort, features) to the CL. I still may buy one though. (That is unless Chrysler builds the Firepower!.)

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-20-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:54 PM

Remember though Wildcat that everything you said about the 6-series is transformed into one fast, ultra-luxury sport combination.

It is similar to comparing the 5-series to the M5 or the 3 series to the M3. Just the letters "M" and "AMG" spark that light into consumers minds. It reminds them that what they are about to get is not just one ordinary car from two of the best automakers in the world. What they are about to purchase is the best that these two automakers offer in performance, luxury, style, prestige and the all-around driving experience.

Although you may not think the 6-series is on par with the CL600 remember this new 6-series will have that one tiny letter "M" next to the "6" meaning two things speed unlike any other 6-series and an ultra-luxurious/sporty interior that greets you to the amazing driving experience that lies ahead.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:15 PM

anyway you compare the two. The M6 and the CL are both great great cars
Old 01-20-2005, 08:52 PM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by stefi
M6 looks like a Honda Accord on steriods.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:07 PM

2007 CL600
Remember though Wildcat that everything you said about the 6-series is transformed into one fast, ultra-luxury sport combination.

It is similar to comparing the 5-series to the M5 or the 3 series to the M3. Just the letters "M" and "AMG" spark that light into consumers minds. It reminds them that what they are about to get is not just one ordinary car from two of the best automakers in the world. What they are about to purchase is the best that these two automakers offer in performance, luxury, style, prestige and the all-around driving experience.

Although you may not think the 6-series is on par with the CL600 remember this new 6-series will have that one tiny letter "M" next to the "6" meaning two things speed unlike any other 6-series and an ultra-luxurious/sporty interior that greets you to the amazing driving experience that lies ahead.

I agree. I also tested a CPO CL55 and was not impressed enough to pay the extra money over a new CL500 (the '03 55 was more money!). I was missing the torque that my wife's SL600 has and I just didn't get the draw of the AMG. The harsh ride, lack of torque relative to the 600. Nice car, but the CL55 felt closer to the 500 than the 600. Don't get me wrong, the AMG is a great car (as I'm sure the M6 is); but I bought my Benz for peace, quiet, safety, and comfort.

Is this M6 available now? Does it have the same cheap look (relatively) as the 645? If the interior is anything like the 645 (i.e., spartan), then I still submit that it's no CL. I don't give a damn how fast it goes. It not how fast you go, but how well you get there. If I want to go fast, I'll drive the SL600. Next someone will say that the M6 is better than the SL600. It's not. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy one, I'd would just have to live with MB envy.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:13 PM

2007 CL600

Have you ever tried to use I drive? MB's command takes voice commands. Once programmed, life is simple.

You said, "Also if you think of it if the car [the CL600] didn't have turbos then it would be pretty slow." If the BMW didn't have an engine, then you'd have to push it. Give me a break. The 600 does have twin turbos. My CL doesn't and (for me) it's still a better car and worth the $100k+. I wouldn't pay that for the BMW.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Newsflash: new pics of the M6!!!

Old 01-30-2005, 10:52 AM

Get over it the M5 and the new M6 will be the finest performing sport sedans in the world. (And that isn't measured by 0-60 and 1/4 mile times...)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The new BMW M6