CLA 45 AMG (C118) 2019 to Present

Winter Setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 08:53 AM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2022 SL 63
Winter Setup

I'm seeing a lot of Canadians here, so I was wondering how do you guys make your CLA45 Canadian-winter ready?

What sort of kit do you have? 19" and low-pro winter tires or dropped down to 18"? Where did you source this kit from.

Also, have any of you encountered the limits of the car in winter? As in the point where you say "yeah the cla can't take this much snow" or you actually got stuck in some snow due to low clearance.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,795 Likes on 2,377 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
May I ask a quick question first though: Did you get the car yet or you are still debating, if not may I ask why you didn't consider a GLA 45 since you are coming from a GLA 250 according to what you listed on you public profile? Curious. The regular CLA is a good choice if you don't need the practicality of the GLA, is that why you are deciding on a CLA?

I don't have a CLA 45 but:

For winters, for many vehicles I generally recommend dropping down to 18s mainly because then you will have more grip as you have more sidewall plus the ride will be better, especially if you are not getting run-flat winters.

Does your car have the ride control option? That would had helped as well.

If you live in the GTA, the CLA won't have any issue just don't use it for snow plowing, for example first shovel the entrance before driving out of your driveway, don't try to use your vehicle to dig through snow.

Since you are posting in the C118 forum and assuming the model you have/or looking for is correct, the vehicle is capable in sending all the power to the rear with the 4MATIC+ system despite being front wheel biased AWD which is helpful when drifting on the track but not necessary the most helpful in the winter. That said though, 4MATIC and not a RWD like the C 63, so it is unlikely you will have problems.

Tires wise, I personally use Bridgestone Blizzak, another good option is Nokian Hakkapeliitta. In my opinion they are the best. If you want more affordable options that other forum members recommending there are Pirellis Ice Zero, Michelin X-Ice or Pilot Alpine PA 4, etc.

I seen people driving theirs in winter just fine when it is snowing pretty hard and that the city plowing wasn't done on time. (just imo, as long as your vehicle doesn't scrape when coming off the driveway, that is enough clearance for driving in the GTA, it doesn't snow that hard compared to the North after all).

The OEM summer 18s for the C118 CLA 45 are:
Twin 10-Spoke
245/40 R 18 (8.5J x 18 ET 46) (Front)
245/40 R 18 (8.5J x 18 ET 46) (Rear)

OEM winter (squared setup):
225/45 R 18 (8J x 18 ET 48.5) (Front and Rear)

For winters, you could either go OEM wheels or get a quality set of replicas or aftermarket wheels. Many forum members from Canada here recommend PMCTires if you want to shop online instead of going to your local tire shop.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Merc
I haven't driven this car in the winter yet... this will be my first one. But I bought the same 255/35/19 tires for winter. Will be using Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's as my tires. I've used them on my previous cars and love them. They have great performance for when there's no snow... and good winter grip when there is snow.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:06 PM

2022 SL 63
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
May I ask a quick question first though: Did you get the car yet or you are still debating, if not may I ask why you didn't consider a GLA 45 since you are coming from a GLA 250 according to what you listed on you public profile? Curious. The regular CLA is a good choice if you don't need the practicality of the GLA, is that why you are deciding on a CLA?

For winters, for many vehicles I generally recommend dropping down to 18s mainly because then you will have more grip as you have more sidewall plus the ride will be better, especially if you are not getting run-flat winters.

If you live in the GTA, the CLA won't have any issue just don't use it for snow plowing, for example first shovel the entrance before driving out of your driveway, don't try to use your vehicle to dig through snow.

Since you are posting in the C118 forum and assuming the model you have/or looking for is correct, the vehicle is capable in sending all the power to the rear with the 4MATIC+ system despite being front wheel biased AWD which is helpful when drifting on the track but not necessary the most helpful in the winter. That said though, 4MATIC and not a RWD like the C 63, so it is unlikely you will have problems.

Tires wise, I personally use Bridgestone Blizzak, another good option is Nokian Hakkapeliitta. In my opinion they are the best. If you want more affordable options that other forum members recommending there are Pirellis Ice Zero, Michelin X-Ice or Pilot Alpine PA 4, etc.

I seen people driving theirs in winter just fine when it is snowing pretty hard and that the city plowing wasn't done on time. (just imo, as long as your vehicle doesn't scrape when coming off the driveway, that is enough clearance for driving in the GTA, it doesn't snow that hard compared to the North after all).

Twin 10-Spoke

For winters, you could either go OEM wheels or get a quality set of replicas or aftermarket wheels. Many forum members from Canada here recommend PMCTires if you want to shop online instead of going to your local tire shop.

Hope this helps.
Honestly that was super helpful. Especially you saying you saw cars in the city driving fine! Thanks a lot ill be looking into getting some 18" with the Blizz's for the Montreal winter.

As for why not a GLA 45, it just doesn't seem to stack up against the CLA for me. I've owned a 2014 CLA & 2019 GLA (at the moment). I've also driven as loaner the CLA 2020+ and GLB 2020+

The CLA 45 looks like a beast compared to the GLA 45. I've seen both around town and although the GLA is stunning, it doesn't hold a candle

I also assume the driving dynamics of the GLA is lesser than the CLA because of form factor.. Even the "close to the floor" feeling is something I prefer, having driven both generations of CLA..

In terms of practicality the GLA isn't really all that impressive... I don't carry friends often anyways, but the back room is somewhat compromised with tall friends. The boot space is definitely a nice have but not a must with my lifestyle. Clearance is good, but not enough to save you from anything a proper SUV would. I cracked my wheel well on a hardened snow pack this winter. It's an awkward spot for the car so I'd rather get rid of these so-so advantages and go all in with the 4 door coupe style. If I needed convenience I wouldn't be considering the GLA at all. The GLB is a much superior offering and id still take the GLB 35 over the GLA 45.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:22 PM

2022 SL 63

Twin 10-Spoke

Hope this helps.
Honestly that was super helpful. Especially you saying you saw cars in the city driving fine! Thanks a lot ill be looking into getting some 18" with the Blizz's for the Montreal winter.

As for why not a GLA 45, it just doesn't seem to stack up against the CLA for me. I've owned a 2014 CLA & 2019 GLA (at the moment). I've also driven as loaner the CLA 2020+ and GLB 2020+

The CLA 45 looks like a beast compared to the GLA 45. I've seen both around town and although the GLA is stunning, it doesn't hold a candle as its a lot "softer" looking.

I also assume the driving dynamics of the GLA is lesser than the CLA because of form factor.. Even the "close to the floor" feeling is something I prefer, having driven both generations of CLA..

In terms of practicality the GLA isn't really all that impressive... I don't carry friends often anyways, but the back room is somewhat compromised with tall friends. The boot space is definitely a nice have but not a must with my lifestyle. Clearance is good, but not enough to save you from anything a proper SUV would. I cracked my wheel well on a hardened snow pack this winter. It's an awkward spot for the car so I'd rather get rid of these so-so advantages and go all in with the 4 door coupe style. If I needed convenience I wouldn't be considering the GLA at all. The GLB is a much superior offering and id still take the GLB 35 over the GLA 45.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by kcirm

The CLA 45 looks like a beast compared to the GLA 45. I've seen both around town and although the GLA is stunning, it doesn't hold a candle as its a lot "softer" looking.

Hmmm I am now a bit concerned...

I did mention that the vehicle was fine in the GTA (it stands for the Greater Toronto Area, in case you didn't know what that was, sorry for the confusion), but Montréal gets way more snow, easily double the snow compared to Toronto, I am not sure if the CLA 45 C118 in general or very least tires wise, being the 18s will actually work out for you after all, main concern is the clearance when snow accumulates up to a certain level and depends on how often and rapidly responding the snow plowing is in your area.

I mean, it is unlikely you will be stuck to the point that you couldn't get out with 4MATIC+ and quality snow tires but I am still concerned because Montréal snows very heavily.

I am so sorry to have to say this now as I didn't know that you lived that far Northeast, either way sorry about that. The CLA 45 C118 ground clearance is very low compared to the standard CLA 250 C118 and way lower than the GLA 250 H247 (as the GLA 250 H247 ground clearance was even higher than the GLA 250 X156 which you currently have).

Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts on why you chose the CLA 45 over the GLA 45.

I hope things work out for you.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 09-21-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:18 PM

Merc
I wouldn't discourage him from getting the CLA45. Yes Montreal gets more snow than Toronto... but Montreal also has epic snow clearing operations. If there really was enough snow to make the CLA45 stuck... there'd probably be a lot of other cars stuck on the road too... and probably even the GLA45.

I drove the GLA45, A35 and have a CLA45. Although the CLA45 and GLA45 have the same drivetrain... the CLA45 is way more sporty and way more intense. Also as OP said... it looks way more bad-assed. Infact I found the A35 hatch I drove to be more enjoyable than the GLA45 despite the GLA having the higher powertrain.

GLA45 is more for someone that needs the extra room and practicality of a CUV but still want some fun... but it's nowhere close to a CLA45 or A45. OP... please get and enjoy the CLA45!
Old 09-21-2022, 11:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by crester
I wouldn't discourage him from getting the CLA45. Yes Montreal gets more snow than Toronto... but Montreal also has epic snow clearing operations. If there really was enough snow to make the CLA45 stuck... there'd probably be a lot of other cars stuck on the road too... and probably even the GLA45.

I drove the GLA45, A35 and have a CLA45. Although the CLA45 and GLA45 have the same drivetrain... the CLA45 is way more sporty and way more intense. Also as OP said... it looks way more bad-assed. Infact I found the A35 hatch I drove to be more enjoyable than the GLA45 despite the GLA having the higher powertrain.

GLA45 is more for someone that needs the extra room and practicality of a CUV but still want some fun... but it's nowhere close to a CLA45 or A45. OP... please get and enjoy the CLA45!
That is what I wanted to hear, thanks. I asked OP how is the snow plowing and response time in my previous post.

Oh ya true the A 45 hatch would be a good option too, too bad we only get the A 35 I think?

Strange his post got deleted, I wonder why or did I quote a different thread?
Old 09-25-2022, 04:59 PM

2022 SL 63
That is what I wanted to hear, thanks. I asked OP how is the snow plowing and response time in my previous post.

Oh ya true the A 45 hatch would be a good option too, too bad we only get the A 35 I think?

Strange his post got deleted, I wonder why or did I quote a different thread?
It didn't get deleted from what I see.

In Montreal, the snow can get intense but usually when you get stuck, it's not while driving, it is while you are parked on the side of the road. For that,.I have 0 stress because I have all the tools required to face this challenge (shovel in the truck, traction matts). Even the GLA 250 would get stuck occationally in these cases, but with 3-10min of shoveling, you are good to go!

The only time you're gonna be in murky territory on the road is if a storm starts at 4am and you leave home at 5am-6am as plowing might not have hit your road/highway yet.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:11 PM

2022 SL 63
Originally Posted by crester

As the other sir replied, the rule of "if you can drive in your road, you can drive anywhere in the city" still applies to montreal. Residential roads are often the last ones plowed because of low traffic, so if I can drive out of my road, I should be good with the rest of the trip. Luckily I have family with large SUVs I can borrow in times of real emergencies if the clearance is ever an issue. I feel pretty confident!

As you said, if the CLA 45 would get stuck, many other cars would. Thinking about it, you see M4's driving in Montreal Winter and they are only 0.3 inches higher than the CLA 45.

You're right about the dynamicness of this car. The CLA 45 is clearly the car AMG put the most effort in for their "entry-level" AMG. Just the fact some (not all but a good portion) of previous c43 & c63 owners are happier with a CLA 45 speaks volume. What makes the CLA special is that it's unique in the lineup with it's offering. If you were to take the top 5 best driving AMG's, the CLA 45 would be in this list. Where else can you get a swift driving (no "boat" feeling like in a c63 or e63), the ability to push the engine at anytime without dying (not just on a empty highway), 4 wheel drive, amazing gearbox AND low cost of ownership. There is simply no other on the lineup. The closest would be the new SL or the GTs, but those are far up in the lineup.

Just finished all the talking with MB Finance, will be picking the car up sometime this week.!!! It's almost fully loaded. Pumped
The following users liked this post:
crester (09-26-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 09:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

It didn't get deleted from what I see.

In Montreal, the snow can get intense but usually when you get stuck, it's not while driving, it is while you are parked on the side of the road. For that,.I have 0 stress because I have all the tools required to face this challenge (shovel in the truck, traction matts). Even the GLA 250 would get stuck occationally in these cases, but with 3-10min of shoveling, you are good to go!

The only time you're gonna be in murky territory on the road is if a storm starts at 4am and you leave home at 5am-6am as plowing might not have hit your road/highway yet.
Strange, ya the post is back up, I guess it was my browser then. I thought I replied to the wrong thread hence why the post wasn't there.

As the other sir replied, the rule of "if you can drive in your road, you can drive anywhere in the city" still applies to montreal. Residential roads are often the last ones plowed because of low traffic, so if I can drive out of my road, I should be good with the rest of the trip. Luckily I have family with large SUVs I can borrow in times of real emergencies if the clearance is ever an issue. I feel pretty confident!

As you said, if the CLA 45 would get stuck, many other cars would. Thinking about it, you see M4's driving in Montreal Winter and they are only 0.3 inches higher than the CLA 45.

You're right about the dynamicness of this car. The CLA 45 is clearly the car AMG put the most effort in for their "entry-level" AMG. Just the fact some (not all but a good portion) of previous c43 & c63 owners are happier with a CLA 45 speaks volume. What makes the CLA special is that it's unique in the lineup with it's offering. If you were to take the top 5 best driving AMG's, the CLA 45 would be in this list. Where else can you get a swift driving (no "boat" feeling like in a c63 or e63), the ability to push the engine at anytime without dying (not just on a empty highway), 4 wheel drive, amazing gearbox AND low cost of ownership. There is simply no other on the lineup. The closest would be the new SL or the GTs, but those are far up in the lineup.

Just finished all the talking with MB Finance, will be picking the car up sometime this week.!!! It's almost fully loaded. Pumped
I guess that is why they are unofficially known as the baby GT 4-door. Congrats on your vehicle, please do share photos when you get it.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:03 PM

Merc

Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you will enjoy it. And you are right... while the AMG versions of the C class are nice and obviously the C63 has very muscular V8's... they don't have the nimble and sporty handling of the CLA45 and A45 AMG.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:24 PM

2022 SL 63
Updating this in case someone finds value.

I've gone through 2 major winter storms so got pretty good context to comment on.

Running on 18 inch mags & continental Vikings I got for 700 bucks on FB marketplace.

The good news:
- Performance. The car has very good performance in snowy weather. The drive isn't any "less" fun, although you must tame yourself when its approprappropriate- Traction. Great traction in comfort and snow mode. Even better traction than my C117 GLA 250 had- No clearance issues. Even at 3am before any snow trucks passed. I could drive fine in a few inches of snow. The bottom fender just acts as a plower.

So functionality wise, this will do great as a winter car... You'll get from point A to B just fine
The bad:
- Rim clearance. The 18 mags I got (from a C117 cla) are dangerously close to the brake calipers. Like I'm talking a quarter of an inch of clearance. No problems till now, but could be better or worst depending on the model of mags.
- Comfort. Biggest downside. The winter comfort is horrendous. Even at 18 inch, the wheels are pretty low profile and the suspension seems to get even stiffer because of the cold. When salt is first deposited on the road, it feels like every grain resonates through your seat. It's pretty bad. The vibration levels are the highest I've ever had, and it's not even close.
- Sound. You hear the slushy snow hitting the wheel wells inside of the cabin. Did not have that expenriance with my gla or family members cars. Not persistent so not a a biggy.
- Pot holes and imperfections. The white of the snow hides these. Before winter I used to hit a pothole a week MAX. Now I hit one everyday. With the cold stiffened suspension, it feels like something broke everytime you hit one too. Passengers are always freaked out at first. I don't care about this either as these are my beater mags. It also makes it hard to gauge clearance levels (entering and exiting parkings that weren't properly shoveled) so I've ahd some scraping because of that

Final verdict, would you get a winter car and keep the CLA 45 as a summer car? My answer: Im 21 so I have no back pain or discomfort, so I can handle the unforgiving suspension during winter. If you do have those things, I feel like you wouldn't enjoy the car and it would be worth it to get a proper winter SUV. If I had gifted this car to my father (60yr old) I would 100% recommend him to keep his Nissan SUV for winter.