Notices
CLA 45 AMG (C118) 2019 to Present

How's the suspension on the C118 CLA AMG's? (It wasn't good on the C117)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C250d Coupe
How's the suspension on the C118 CLA AMG's? (It wasn't good on the C117)

Hey all this is my first post and I'm interested in the opinions of the C118 CLA AMG owners or modern AMG owners in general. I own a 2016 C250d coupe (bought it new). It's a 2.1L and I believe the hp is 200. It's by no means a slow car but it's nowhere near exciting-fast either. I plan on getting a new car and I like 4-door coupes. My budget is quite high but I'm limited to a small or medium size car because of my tiny parking space. So no CLS, or 6-series or A7 for me. Anyway, the CLA is sort of my best choice; I've driven a 2021 CLA200 and the ride was fine, very similar to my C. I like the interior a lot too, it's far better than my C.

So, I've seen yesterday's announcement of the CLA 2024 facelift and I'm now thinking of the CLA 35 or the 45S. I'd love something to go on joy rides with, but it'll still be the car I'll daily drive with my wife and kid. So I'm asking you to verify what the dealer told me: That modern AMG's can drive comfortably as long as you go with the optional AMG Ride Control Suspension. Is this true? Can you control how comfortably and aggressively the car drives? And when it comes to comfort, how does that compare to my C? Is it similar?

And what if I don't add the optional suspension package? Will the car have stiff suspension all the time? Even in Comfort mode?

Last edited by Dowley; 01-19-2023 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Focus RS 18
Ride quality was my biggest concern prior to purchasing my 2022 CLA 45 AMG. I am coming from a 2018 Focus RS which had revised dampers from the prior years so rode better than the 2016-17 models, but it was not comfortable by any means.

I am very satisfied with the ride quality of the 45, I do have the optional AMG ride control which I think is probably well worth the $900 it costs. I have primarily driven in comfort but the ride quality is worlds better than my Focus RS. I think it’s comfortable and very livable in comfort mode. If someone is complaining about ride quality in comfort mode with the AMG ride control, they are probably used to very plush and cloud like ride quality. You can still feel bumps in the road, but it isn’t upsetting. To me it strikes the perfect balance of still having some feel/life and being comfortable. Your best bet is to go drive one though and see for yourself.
The following users liked this post:
Dowley (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by SuperSaloon
Ride quality was my biggest concern prior to purchasing my 2022 CLA 45 AMG. I am coming from a 2018 Focus RS which had revised dampers from the prior years so rode better than the 2016-17 models, but it was not comfortable by any means.

I am very satisfied with the ride quality of the 45, I do have the optional AMG ride control which I think is probably well worth the $900 it costs. I have primarily driven in comfort but the ride quality is worlds better than my Focus RS. I think it’s comfortable and very livable in comfort mode. If someone is complaining about ride quality in comfort mode with the AMG ride control, they are probably used to very plush and cloud like ride quality. You can still feel bumps in the road, but it isn’t upsetting. To me it strikes the perfect balance of still having some feel/life and being comfortable. Your best bet is to go drive one though and see for yourself.
Very good to hear! Thanks!

Neither of the two, 35 or 45S, are available to test drive, but I may get my hands on a 2023 C43, which I'm told is a representative experience. Strange thing though, is that the C43 doesn't have the AMG Suspension Control option available, and I don't know if that means it has it built-in or not.

Since you're a 45 owner, can you tell me things you don't like about the car? Most reviews only focus on the positives. I've heard the Burmester sound system is mediocre at best. Any other issues?
Old 01-20-2023, 06:18 AM

Focus RS 18
Originally Posted by Dowley
Very good to hear! Thanks!

Neither of the two, 35 or 45S, are available to test drive, but I may get my hands on a 2023 C43, which I'm told is a representative experience. Strange thing though, is that the C43 doesn't have the AMG Suspension Control option available, and I don't know if that means it has it built-in or not.

Since you're a 45 owner, can you tell me things you don't like about the car? Most reviews only focus on the positives. I've heard the Burmester sound system is mediocre at best. Any other issues?
I have only had the car a few weeks and driven it 500 miles. The only things that bother/annoy me is that my car was not equipped with SiriusXM radio. It’s not something I can just call and they do a software update or stream it to my car. It is actual hardware they did not install and there is no easy way to add it to make it look OEM. My car was pretty well equipped and I’m annoyed it doesn’t come standard. The other thing that annoys me for a car at this price point is I do not have a sunglasses holder. I don’t even recall that being an option to add, but I watched other reviews of the 45 that have it. The only other thing is no wireless charging due to the chip shortage. They had this on the 2020 model and it would have been nice to have in a car this expensive. These are all items I think a car at this price point should have as standard. These are all very minor complaints though and would not prevent me from buying the car again.

Not my car specifically as I bought with the optional AMG branded recaros, but I did not like the standard seats in one of the used ones I test drove. Both of my prior vehicles had recaros though so I think this is more personal preference.

You don’t have any used 45’s in your area you can go test drive?
Dowley (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by SuperSaloon
I have only had the car a few weeks and driven it 500 miles. The only things that bother/annoy me is that my car was not equipped with SiriusXM radio. It’s not something I can just call and they do a software update or stream it to my car. It is actual hardware they did not install and there is no easy way to add it to make it look OEM. My car was pretty well equipped and I’m annoyed it doesn’t come standard. The other thing that annoys me for a car at this price point is I do not have a sunglasses holder. I don’t even recall that being an option to add, but I watched other reviews of the 45 that have it. The only other thing is no wireless charging due to the chip shortage. They had this on the 2020 model and it would have been nice to have in a car this expensive. These are all items I think a car at this price point should have as standard. These are all very minor complaints though and would not prevent me from buying the car again.

Not my car specifically as I bought with the optional AMG branded recaros, but I did not like the standard seats in one of the used ones I test drove. Both of my prior vehicles had recaros though so I think this is more personal preference.

You don’t have any used 45’s in your area you can go test drive?
45's are pretty hard to find around here but I'll keep looking!
No, I don't think there's a sunglasses option, as you said you sort of expect that to be included! Wireless charging will be available from now on, so that's okay.
By the way, are you happy with the fuel consumption? I heard it swallows petrol like a G63 when you go hard on it, but it's pretty decent otherwise. Is this true?

Old 01-20-2023, 08:57 AM

Focus RS 18
Originally Posted by Dowley
45's are pretty hard to find around here but I'll keep looking!
No, I don't think there's a sunglasses option, as you said you sort of expect that to be included! Wireless charging will be available from now on, so that's okay.
By the way, are you happy with the fuel consumption? I heard it swallows petrol like a G63 when you go hard on it, but it's pretty decent otherwise. Is this true?
I’m very happy with the fuel consumption so far. I’m still in break in period so have not floored it yet. I’ve been averaging 31mpg on my commute to and from work. I believe Car and Driver got 34mpg when holding it at 75mph for an extended period.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA45
I think you will be OK. Had my CLA 45 for 2 months now (2023 model). As for ride quality and comfort in general as a daily driver, my opinion is bias (I love the car). But, I recently went on a short weekend road trip (350 miles total) with my wife and two small kids and none of them (specially my wife) had any complaints. She actually said that its comfortable. So there you go. If she doesn't complain, it must be good.
Throk (04-02-2023)