CLA Coupe (C117) 2014-present

How many are getting the CLA 2014

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes C 320
Why is there no specific forum for the CLA? There should be one place to look at just like the other cars. This isn't a concept anymore, it's real.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
See other thread.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by C300Kid

It's not supposed to be a rwd premium sedan, nor is it supposed to appeal to Mercedes' current customers. It is what it is; a stylish and modern sporty sedan aimed at young buyers. It's Mercedes' take on the VW GLI/Acura TSX crowd. I think it will be a big hit assuming they aren't all spec'd to $40k when they hit dealer lots.
You're spot on with this assessment. CLA is meant to attract a different market segment, one that is currently not being served by MB. That's one way to increase sales. CLA is not meant to cannibalize C-Class sales. Most C-Class owners will not consider the CLA as a replacement when it's time to get a new car. The CLA is meant for those who don't own an MB currently and who previously did not consider it due to cost.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Pete7874
You're spot on with this assessment. CLA is meant to attract a different market segment, one that is currently not being served by MB. That's one way to increase sales. CLA is not meant to cannibalize C-Class sales. Most C-Class owners will not consider the CLA as a replacement when it's time to get a new car. The CLA is meant for those who don't own an MB currently and who previously did not consider it due to cost.
I've got a different take. There is lots of data that when a base vehicle is FWD (vs RWD), the optional take rate of AWD drops a lot....and that makes sense for those in areas with winter. So, the first car to take it on the chin will be the C3004MATIC. FWD will be a benefit to them, and the CLA is about the same size as the current W204. The dealer will explain that they no longer need to buy 4MATIC as the world believes the bad-weather traction benefit of FWD....big savings from a CLA250 to a new C3004MATIC.

Priced closer to the W204 when it first entered the market, lots of returning C Class owners whose car knowledge goes as far as getting the D to light up so they can move forward (actually, the majority of the marketplace) will find this a very good alternative to the W205, which would more properly be called a D Class, based on the size projection. No manufacturer ever intends to increase downward mix substitution, but it is unavoidable to some degree when a new product launches underneath. The goal is to minimize it. The car-savvy folks who care about RWD may stay loyal to the W205, but watch how dealers start ordering their inventory. C350s should hold on quite well at the higher end, but the new C250 has got to be at risk, particularly among the style-sensitive who will see the CLA as a fresh and new approach to the same size car as everyone used to know.

I agree that I also expect to see a good amount of cross shopping with D segment Asian brands. Some will take a look at what they are paying for a well equipped Accord or Sonata and likely start to include MB (to their amazement) in their consideration set for the first time. On the other hand, once the 1 and 2 Series launch at BMW, some current MB owners with a taste for enthusiastic driving will possibly defect in that direction, by-passing the CLA as a poseur car for the new generation of status conscious YUPPIES (young, upwardly mobile, professionals).

The MB goal is volume, which, inherently, will diminish brand exclusivity and image to some degree. They may wish CLA was built in Vance instead of W205 C, but CLA will be the volume product and likely do quite well for them.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick
I've got a different take. There is lots of data that when a base vehicle is FWD (vs RWD), the optional take rate of AWD drops a lot....and that makes sense for those in areas with winter. So, the first car to take it on the chin will be the C3004MATIC. FWD will be a benefit to them, and the CLA is about the same size as the current W204. The dealer will explain that they no longer need to buy 4MATIC as the world believes the bad-weather traction benefit of FWD....big savings from a CLA250 to a new C3004MATIC.
No way will a sales person steer a potential buyer towards a cheaper alternative. They're in it to make money afterall, and higher sales price = higher commission. Eventually there will be a CLA 4MATIC, and it'll sell like hotcakes, too, I'm guessing.

Nevermind the fact that a proper set of winter tires makes a bigger difference than AWD, alas, most of the population is too lazy to choose this cheaper and more effective solution.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Pete7874
No way will a sales person steer a potential buyer towards a cheaper alternative. They're in it to make money afterall, and higher sales price = higher commission. Eventually there will be a CLA 4MATIC, and it'll sell like hotcakes, too, I'm guessing.

Nevermind the fact that a proper set of winter tires makes a bigger difference than AWD, alas, most of the population is too lazy to choose this cheaper and more effective solution.
I sold cars in my younger years, and the first lesson is qualifying the prospect. With the coming growth in size and increase in price the W205 will bring, there will be sticker surprise for returning buyers. If the salesperson senses resistance, it would be a primary tactic to bring the CLA into the conversation. I put a lot of folks in Audi 4000s rather than let them leave when the 5000 seemed too steep. Also, the salesperson commission is on the net margin, and a more affordable CLA can go out the door closer to full pop than a C on which more negotiation might be needed to close.

On your CLA4MATIC sales forecast, we will need to see, but I simply disagree. Whatever the take rate is for 4MATIC on a C Class, diminish that by 25-30% for a car with a front wheel drive base condition. Your own belief in the new buyers (likely coming from fwd cars) actually bolsters that assessment, as they will have had years of success with front wheel drive.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:06 PM

I agree with you that a dealer will try to sell the CLA if the customer is ready to walk because they can't make the numbers work on a C-Class. But I just can't see the dealer not try to push 4MATIC versions up north. AWD is touted as a major safety feature (which to some extent it is) in the US, and it'll continue.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 AM

Yota
so i read on automobile.com that the 45 AMG will do 0-60 in 4.6. sounds good to me.

its either this or a S4 for me. i read that base price for the 45 AMG will be ~$50k so optioned out i hope i can stay under $60k.

really love the look of this car and apparently the 45 AMG will make an appearance at the NY Auto Show next month, and possibly sooner at the Geneva Show also next month.
hope we get more official word on pricing and performance figures there.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Benz
CLA or C-CLASS COUPE ?

Hello,

Sorry to interfere but I am really wondering if I should wait for the CLA or C-Class coupe ?

I like the CLA because it's really new and wonder why they launched a C-class coupe based on the old C-class?

Thanks for your ideas.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
To me the CLA is a repeat of the first C-Coupe in terms of strategy. I'll be for sure looking at getting one.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by luxuries
Hello,

Sorry to interfere but I am really wondering if I should wait for the CLA or C-Class coupe ?

I like the CLA because it's really new and wonder why they launched a C-class coupe based on the old C-class?

Thanks for your ideas.
Or wait for next gen c class coupe
Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
I havent had a Mercedes in a few years and quite honestly the CLA has me interested in coming back ..... for the styling first and foremost ( yes i would love to have 300 hp but most certainly not a must have .... for me anyways ) and the pricing is definitely a huge plus !!!

It wont appeal a lot of current C w204 owners since it may seem like a downgrade but someone earlier said that with the new styling ( both exterior and interior ) it'll make the w204's seem outdated ....... at least until the next generation C class comes out.

I'm just excited to finally see one in the showroom this Fall and decide then if it's right for me
Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM

997.2 GT3
The CLA45 AMG seems like it would appeal to enthusiasts stepping up from the Evo or STI. It follows a similar formula (four cylinder turbo, AWD variant of FWD platform), but makes significantly more power than those two, and has a far nicer interior. The CLA45 AMG has the potential to be the most driver focused Mercedes this side of the SLS. It has a proper dual clutch gearbox, and it should be the lightest of all AMG models. What it won't have, though, is the throaty V8 burble of the bigger engined AMGs.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350
I am 100% in for the CLA45 AMG. I've already started my order for one with $100 down. I will be the first at my local dealership to order one. It will be a long year + wait but when my salesman gets the build sheet I'll be ready
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by Cleanbenz
I am 100% in for the CLA45 AMG. I've already started my order for one with $100 down. I will be the first at my local dealership to order one. It will be a long year + wait but when my salesman gets the build sheet I'll be ready
Let it be known, this is the FIRST reported CLA order on MBWorld... And No less than AMG!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 AM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by Nola
Let it be known, this is the FIRST reported CLA order on MBWorld... And No less than AMG!
Lol!! I'm just hoping the price isn't way higher than anticipated.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 PM

Yota
yeh, the price needs to stay high 40s to low 50s base for me to even consider this. i expect to tack on another 10k in options.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Personally I want a CLA45, but not in a position to get rid of the S55. Plus, it might be a little hard to go down in power. However, from the sound of it I might not notice since the CLA will be lighter, and 349hp ain't too bad.

Anyone hear how much they want to sell the CLA45 for?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 PM

97 Eclipse GSX, BMW 540
I'm actually thinking about getting the AMG version of this car. I do like the body styling. The interior looks decent.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 PM

2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
As this will not be a RWD, it's really not an option for me. But, if they offer this in a 4matic configuration with a 6 speed manual, that would be a different story though I may have to talk to Willem Dafoe...since $29,900 wouldn't be the price with these options...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 PM

Yota
there'll be a 4matic with a dual clutch trans.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
I wonder if the CLA45 engine will have any leftover room for more HP/TQ after AMG is done with it. I know the tuner market is going to go crazy for this little 4 banger if it's not maxed out.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 PM

2005 c230 sport, k7 gsxr
timing is soooo perfect for me.... i have a w203 so i'm due. only thing is this will be even more common the the w204
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM

Yota
thats why you should get the amg. sure to be a lot less common.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
The problem with the CLA the first year or two is that they will be a pretty hot ticket I suspect.

Unknowing buyers will be driving home leased CLAs for more money than C Classes that will have more incentives being near end of life.

It's pretty amazing to think that the C Class first few months of the W204 also started at $29,900+. Of course, it was the hot ticket then so despite the lower price, people were paying more on leases.

The other cars sure are repositioning even higher up market.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How many are getting the CLA 2014