CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

AMG Performance Suspension is a must have option

Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Lotus Exige S, 1995 Acura NSX, 2008 Cayman S
AMG Performance Suspension is a must have option

test drove a CLA 45 AMG. The performance suspension is a must in my opinion. Skip the sunroof or the Recaros or something to add this to your build.

It really transforms the car from a sedan to a sports car. There is zero body roll.

Two things I hate in a car are understeer and body roll. This suspension solves both.

My previous car was a 2008 M3 sedan and I currently own a Cayman S , NSX and Lotus Exige S.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
How does that suspension handle your average highway though?

Is it a teeth-rattling, spine-jarring experience?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by zibby43
How does that suspension handle your average highway though?

Is it a teeth-rattling, spine-jarring experience?
Not at all...... Its softer than my M3 and the Porsche 911 that I used to own. I drove it on the highway it was great. I think you would only notice it on expansion joints.

I am trying to add it to my order now.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Did you drive one with the performance suspension and one without the performance suspension?

Last edited by nlpamg; 01-08-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by HockeyPlayer
Not at all...... Its softer than my M3 and the Porsche 911 that I used to own. I drove it on the highway it was great. I think you would only notice it on expansion joints.

Interesting.

I wonder what kind of deal I could get on one right now. I love the C63 and it's adequate when dealing with reasonable snowfall with the Blizzaks on but after the snowpocalypse we just had, 4MATIC has become even more enticing.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA45 + GL450
Originally Posted by zibby43
Interesting.

I wonder what kind of deal I could get on one right now. I love the C63 and it's adequate when dealing with reasonable snowfall with the Blizzaks on but after the snowpocalypse we just had, 4MATIC has become even more enticing.

We picked up our CLA45 last week in NY and drove it throught the Blue Ridge Parkway back to Houston when the snow storm caught up on us. From first hand experience I can tell you that the 4Matic with AMG sport suspension handles the snow pretty well. Upon a point the snow filled the black tracks in front of me with white snow. The CLA45 performed superb, even with "summer" run flat tires.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG; 2012 GLK 350 4MATIC (totaled); 2009 VW GTI (sold)
Originally Posted by bmwtarga
We picked up our CLA45 last week in NY and drove it throught the Blue Ridge Parkway back to Houston when the snow storm caught up on us. From first hand experience I can tell you that the 4Matic with AMG sport suspension handles the snow pretty well. Upon a point the snow filled the black tracks in front of me with white snow. The CLA45 performed superb, even with "summer" run flat tires.
Wow impressive, with summer tires!! Do you US guys have the same tires from MB??? Mine here in Canada came with Z Rated Summer Performance Dunlops which are NOT run flat??

I got my CLA 45 in late November and found it difficult to drive with the summer slicks on snow, car is currently parked in my garage for this winter.

I agree, performance suspension is amazing, car has zero body roll yet it doesn't ride like a hay wagon! I think what makes the CLA 45 feel so amazing in corners is the 4 cylinder - that much lighter than a big V8 in corners
Old 01-08-2014, 11:42 PM

911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet
I'm glad you love your 45 but these tires flat out SUCK in the snow. It's not a dig against the tires though. They're not supposed to work in this weather. I got my 45 sideways in my driveway with barely an inch of snow covering the ground on my way to have snow tires put on! In fact, I couldn't get up the small hill at the base of our driveway on my first attempt because the tires couldn't get traction. Do not be fooled into thinking the summer tires are usable in cold or snowy weather...unless you have a death wish.

-Eric
Old 01-09-2014, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
test drove a CLA 45 AMG. The performance suspension is a must in my opinion. Skip the sunroof or the Recaros or something to add this to your build.

It really transforms the car from a sedan to a sports car. There is zero body roll.

Two things I hate in a car are understeer and body roll. This suspension solves both.

My previous car was a 2008 M3 sedan and I currently own a Cayman S , NSX and Lotus Exige S.
You like good well handling cars for sure. I test drove the CLA 45 AMG, it didn't have the Recaros but from twhat the dealer was saying they are very thin padded and too hard for daily driver but again, I haven't try them both back to back. The one that I test drove had the regular seats which were great.

How does the AMG suspension compares to the Cayman, NSX and Lotus?

Last edited by C63newdude; 01-09-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 AM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
I am actually more excited to see what KW will make V3's
Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV

That's a pleasant surprise. Chris Harris commented that he found the standard suspension in the A45 bordering on being too firm for daily driving so I figured the more performance-oriented suspension would be nothing short of intolerable.

Originally Posted by bmwtarga
Wow. Glad you were able to completely you journey safely on summer tires! They really become useless below 45 degrees. And snow? Forget about it.

The 4MATIC must've really been compensating for the tires.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:59 PM

/////AMG
actually I find the opposite... I have owned similar cars to the OP (I have an exige S also) and had a boxster spyder etc... I think for most people not going to the track that the standard amg suspension is more than adequate. I'm getting the suspension though because I will tarck mine during rainy days...

So I guess the amg suspension is a must have...maybe for lotus owners lol
Old 01-09-2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by C63newdude
You like good well handling cars for sure. I test drove the CLA 45 AMG, it didn't have the Recaros but from twhat the dealer was saying they are very thin padded and too hard for daily driver but again, I haven't try them both back to back. The one that I test drove had the regular seats which were great.

How does the AMG suspension compares to the Cayman, NSX and Lotus?
The AMG suspension is softer than my other cars.

I wanted to try the Recaros before I decide on them. The dealer had two CLA Amg's both with base Mb-tex interior and both with performance suspension.

If you are getting 19 inch wheels I would definitely go with the performance suspension. That suspension is tuned for the 19's specifically, its the only wheel size available with that suspension option.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by nlpamg
Did you drive one with the performance suspension and one without the performance suspension?
unfortunately not. The dealer had two in stock (both are now sold) and both had the performance suspension. I am comparing the suspension to my previous M3 and 911, and Cayman S. The performance suspension is softer than those cars.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG; 2012 GLK 350 4MATIC (totaled); 2009 VW GTI (sold)
I own the Recaro's and also test drove a CLA 45 with the base seats

I have no idea what people are talking about "thin padding?" The AMG Recaros are amazing, nicest seat I have ever sat in, aggressive bolstering is adjustable if you need more room…. hats off to MB for going to a performance seat company like Recaro on this AMG….Recaro know how to make seats!!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

If you are getting 19 inch wheels I would definitely go with the performance suspension. That suspension is tuned for the 19's specifically, its the only wheel size available with that suspension option.
That's what the brochure said.

I'm on the fence. I don't want 19's b/c I do plan on both dd'ing the car and occasionally tracking the car and 19's are not ideal for either. Plus, I have enough cars on 30 series tires.

It's my understanding that the performance suspension is only firmer springs and maybe dampening. Most people will want to lower the car a bit using springs and I plan on putting on coilovers (JRZ or KW Clubsports), so that would make the AMG performance suspension moot.

unfortunately not. The dealer had two in stock (both are now sold) and both had the performance suspension. I am comparing the suspension to my previous M3 and 911, and Cayman S. The performance suspension is softer than those cars.
Then how is it a must have option if you did not test drive them back to back? I don't think you can make that statement unless you have experienced both. I can't understand how the AMG performance suspension is significantly better than the standard suspension, especially in terms of body roll--to effectively combat body roll, the sway bars would have to be firmer and that is not part of the package.

I remember driving a C63 on the standard suspension in 2008 and then a month later with the P31 package, the P31 package was noticeably harsher and harsher than my M3 (on PSS9's), M5 (on Dinan Stage 2 suspension) and my gf's Cayman S. For a daily, I didn't want that and that led to my reasoning to keep out the AMG performance suspension.

I've test driven a car with the standard suspension and it handled well enough to not concern me to add it to my order.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
03 Lexus IS300 (old faithful) / 91 3000GT VR-4 / 14 CLA45 AMG / 11 BMW X6M
I highly disagree with this. I have the standard suspension. It has a standard and sport mode. The sport mode feels very tight. I have taken some corners hard and it handles fine. I live in CT and the roads are pretty ****ty, I feel every bump with this suspension. I think for just driving around and enjoying the car the stock suspension is more than perfect. If you really want to go all out and you don't need to drive the car on the daily pick up the upgrade.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jamesyot
I highly disagree with this. I have the standard suspension. It has a standard and sport mode. The sport mode feels very tight. I have taken some corners hard and it handles fine. I live in CT and the roads are pretty ****ty, I feel every bump with this suspension. I think for just driving around and enjoying the car the stock suspension is more than perfect. If you really want to go all out and you don't need to drive the car on the daily pick up the upgrade.
While I agree with your analysis, the suspension does not have a "sport" and "standard" modes. The shocks are standard gas shocks and are not electric and therefore not adjustable with the push of a button. It's not as advanced as an M or GT-R with adjustable dampening... Well, or even my C250 (I have the special order dynamic handling package), lol. The "sport" and "standard" modes are for the throttle and transmission.

I wish they did offer electronic dampers as an option for this car and I brought it up with the AMG NA Brand Manager and he said that the reason why we didn't have that and Keyless Go is to keep the price down as this was the "entry" level AMG.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
03 Lexus IS300 (old faithful) / 91 3000GT VR-4 / 14 CLA45 AMG / 11 BMW X6M
Originally Posted by nlpamg
While I agree with your analysis, the suspension does not have a "sport" and "standard" modes. The shocks are standard gas shocks and are not electric and therefore not adjustable with the push of a button. It's not as advanced as an M or GT-R with adjustable dampening... Well, or even my C250 (I have the special order dynamic handling package), lol. The "sport" and "standard" modes are for the throttle and transmission.

I wish they did offer electronic dampers as an option for this car and I brought it up with the AMG NA Brand Manager and he said that the reason why we didn't have that and Keyless Go is to keep the price down as this was the "entry" level AMG.
.....oh...I get what you are saying now lol....I could have sworn this thing felt tighter with the sport handling mode. I am sure the performance suspension is great....but I don't know if it is needed for the everyday driver.

Last edited by jamesyot; 01-09-2014 at 10:58 PM.