CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

CLA45 AMG or.... DILEMMA!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250 , 2012 SLK350 , 2014 GL450 Designo currently owned
Question CLA45 AMG or.... DILEMMA!

For the last couple of weeks or so, i have been absolutely stuck in a dilemma regarding the all important decision for a petrolhead, my next daily driver.

I am looking at all options for any car that can be leased under 700 a month.
My current daily driver is an SL550, however i am paying too much and prefer to lease a car in the 500-700 range with max 3k down if i absolutely have to out a down payment.

I am a single male and am looking for something that is classy, elegant and sophisticated, as well as capable on a back road or up in the canyons here in LA. My current choices are:

- Maserati Ghibli S(tuned by dealer to 410 hp) - (Offered 2300 down 670 a month tax included on 81k sticker) I like how it drives and looks, but it is not the most capable car on a back road, and i have heard numerous quality control issues. I enjoyed a spirited test drive, loved the noise and though it had softer springs than i liked, seemed to handle well.

- CLA45 AMG - Have not been quoted the lease rates, but my friend was able to secure a lease for 3k down 620 a month, which i thought was fair given the car was being leased out at around 820 a month on average a year ago. I am also not sure about the car's engine either, I'm not sure i want to be driving a 4 cylinder, had a chance to take a quick spin around the block and the car felt alright, but not anything like other AMG's. I really want to feel it out on the canyons to see what its like. Some say it's a revelation in the canyons and some say it's ok and pushes quite a bit. I have always been an AMG fanatic though.

- Porsche Cayman Base 2.7l Flat 6 -
Was offered 3k down 650 a month tax included, however i am not feeling the styling of the car. Haven't driven it around the canyons, curious to get your opinions on the base model with 20 inch rims. I am not looking for a car this small however as I am more of a sedan /coupe guy than 2 seater person. No biggie though if the car is that much better than a CLA45.

- BMW 435i Msport - Opinions? Could be a fall back option, leases in the mid 500's

- 2015 Ford Mustang GT They look alright, doesn't really do it for me however. Curious to see people's opinions and experiences.

-- Audi S5/S4/S3 Snooze. getting old. Anyone take this over a CLA45 ( i am aware im asking this in an AMG forum.)

- Wait for Mercedes C450 AMG Sport
Will this car be more capable than the CLA45? will it be worth waiting for and paying presumably high 600's for?? Interior is nicer, but I'm not completely sure it'll outperform the CLA45 even though itll start 4-5k more. Would YOU have a non AMG C-Class over a Maserati? It has to be extremely good, and i'm not sure Mercedes or AMG will make it that good, fearing for the C63.

Need Help! Going crazy and have 2 months to decide!!

Thanks guys!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
damn thats a wide range of cars LOL

can comment on a couple: Love the cayman/boxster, I did spend a lot of time in one w/pdk and took it into the cayons alot. drives amazing, but I did find myself wanting for more power as I like to slide around a little (I'm used to my C63 i guess lol). the 2.7 engine could not break lose the 275 rear tires on the car

Audi S4, I love that car, perfect sporty daily driver imo especially if your in an area that snows. it is getting old though. Technology feels dated compared to the newer cars.

I think the C450 AMG will be a great car and might be worth waiting for. I have a C300 sport and even that drives really well imo. with the AMG suspension and rear biased AWD, the C450 should be even better. The interior is amazing on the new C class

not a huge fan of the CLA45 and its front wheel drive biased awd and I think theres quite a bit of turbo lag. It seems like your looking for more of the traditional AMG experience so i would stick with the v8 models if you wanted an AMG.

As for the maserati, I have never driven one but I have sat in one and it feels a little "unfinished" to me. Nice italian leather covering cheap parts I think. That said I do love the look and its certainly a unique and cool car.For that price range though, wouldnt you consider the new CLS400 or the BMW 640i?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
Thinking about trading my 14' CLA45 for a low mile 2009 CL63. The CL has less than 15000 miles....pretty much brand new and the CL is a much more refined car despite being 5 years older.
Out of the cars you listed i would say 1. 45 2. C450 3. S4
good luck in the search
Old 02-18-2015, 06:57 PM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by Aminian
- CLA45 AMG - Have not been quoted the lease rates, but my friend was able to secure a lease for 3k down 620 a month, which i thought was fair given the car was being leased out at around 820 a month on average a year ago.
Can you find more about your friend's lease deal? MSRP, how many months lease and annual miles, 3K total drive off or 3K down plus all the fees and taxes?...I assume leased in southern CA?

If this is a true CLA45 lease, I might trade in for one.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:50 PM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by dtc100
Can you find more about your friend's lease deal? MSRP, how many months lease and annual miles, 3K total drive off or 3K down plus all the fees and taxes?...I assume leased in southern CA? If this is a true CLA45 lease, I might trade in for one.
I traded my 2014 CLA45 in for a 15 last week. A 36 month lease with 3K down would have been around $930 a month. That's on a 65K CLA45 with $4200 off. I think a 14 would lease much better with the heavier discounts and low MF. In the end I didn't look into it much as I was pretty set on buying.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:27 PM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by bmoney12
I traded my 2014 CLA45 in for a 15 last week. A 36 month lease with 3K down would have been around $930 a month. That's on a 65K CLA45 with $4200 off. I think a 14 would lease much better with the heavier discounts and low MF. In the end I didn't look into it much as I was pretty set on buying.
Older models usually do not benefit from leases because the residual is much lower, cancels out the lower selling price and lease rate.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:16 AM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by dtc100
Older models usually do not benefit from leases because the residual is much lower, cancels out the lower selling price and lease rate.
I would agree that is usually the case. I do think the lower MF and lower Residual will cancel out but the getting twice as much off will help bring the lease payment down as compared to a 15. MB could also inflate the residual to move inventory as there seems to be plenty. That seems more like a BMW thing though!

Last edited by bmoney12; 02-20-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Imo i would go for for the cla45 after driving it @ the amg accademy .

The look, the engine sound with the performance exhaust is incredible and the 4 Maric system is insane. You can drive like a maniac around corners and the 45 handles like a dream! Same on snow it a racetrack.

What i also love about the cla is that you feel invincible around corners, you think you are a better driver than Michael Schumacher... The speed at which you can go through corners is sick and the fun factor is a No brainer for me and all of this is so easy !
Old 03-07-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C250
BMW 435i M Sport or C450 AMG Sport!!
Old 03-08-2015, 03:46 AM

BMW
You have an SL550? That's a nicer car than a lot of cars you listed. You are gonna get hit if you get out of it early. Check if your monthly "savings" for the whole lease is less than your "hit".

Maserati - that model is a little meh to me.

CLA45 - I never liked how the CLAs looks, esp. taillights (my opinion). Also, do you want to be in the cheapest class? I think you'll regret the 4cyl.

Cayman - You mention you don't like the styling and are still considering it? I would never get a car unless I love the styling. Also, you don't like 2 seaters yet you have an SL550 right now?

435i - Nice car. I've been driving BMWs for a while. Just don't get a 28i engine. Stick with the 6-cyl.

2015 Mustang GT - I really like the new Mustangs and they really improved the interior BY FAR. You must get the Premium version. I test drove the GT and it's fun. Can't beat 435 naturally aspirated horses for $40k loaded.

Audi? Um, no.

C450 AMG Sport - I'm actually waiting for the new coupe styling to be released to see if I'll get the coupe C450. I really loved the new C class when I saw it in person. Inside and out. But the taillights on the Sedan I'm not sure of. From spy shots, I believe the Coupe C class will look like a small S class coupe, which I love. Now, you mention C450 AMG Sport in the high 600s for a lease? I doubt it. The car is only going to be starting around 40k. I would say the lease would be around 500.

Me? I'd take the SL550. Not sure what year you have though.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
Originally Posted by Aminian
For the last couple of weeks or so, i have been absolutely stuck in a dilemma regarding the all important decision for a petrolhead, my next daily driver.

I am looking at all options for any car that can be leased under 700 a month.
My current daily driver is an SL550, however i am paying too much and prefer to lease a car in the 500-700 range with max 3k down if i absolutely have to out a down payment.

I am a single male and am looking for something that is classy, elegant and sophisticated, as well as capable on a back road or up in the canyons here in LA. My current choices are:

- Maserati Ghibli S(tuned by dealer to 410 hp) - (Offered 2300 down 670 a month tax included on 81k sticker) I like how it drives and looks, but it is not the most capable car on a back road, and i have heard numerous quality control issues. I enjoyed a spirited test drive, loved the noise and though it had softer springs than i liked, seemed to handle well.

- CLA45 AMG - Have not been quoted the lease rates, but my friend was able to secure a lease for 3k down 620 a month, which i thought was fair given the car was being leased out at around 820 a month on average a year ago. I am also not sure about the car's engine either, I'm not sure i want to be driving a 4 cylinder, had a chance to take a quick spin around the block and the car felt alright, but not anything like other AMG's. I really want to feel it out on the canyons to see what its like. Some say it's a revelation in the canyons and some say it's ok and pushes quite a bit. I have always been an AMG fanatic though.

- Porsche Cayman Base 2.7l Flat 6 -
Was offered 3k down 650 a month tax included, however i am not feeling the styling of the car. Haven't driven it around the canyons, curious to get your opinions on the base model with 20 inch rims. I am not looking for a car this small however as I am more of a sedan /coupe guy than 2 seater person. No biggie though if the car is that much better than a CLA45.

- BMW 435i Msport - Opinions? Could be a fall back option, leases in the mid 500's

- 2015 Ford Mustang GT They look alright, doesn't really do it for me however. Curious to see people's opinions and experiences.

-- Audi S5/S4/S3 Snooze. getting old. Anyone take this over a CLA45 ( i am aware im asking this in an AMG forum.)

- Wait for Mercedes C450 AMG Sport
Will this car be more capable than the CLA45? will it be worth waiting for and paying presumably high 600's for?? Interior is nicer, but I'm not completely sure it'll outperform the CLA45 even though itll start 4-5k more. Would YOU have a non AMG C-Class over a Maserati? It has to be extremely good, and i'm not sure Mercedes or AMG will make it that good, fearing for the C63.

Need Help! Going crazy and have 2 months to decide!!

Thanks guys!
Don't put money down on a lease.

I personally chose the S4 (fastest on your list and will be on the high end of your budget) with LSD and ADS over the CLA45 as the four banger didn't do it for me and am happy that I didn't get the CLA as where I live all the 16 yr olds drive CLA and there are too many of them out there.

I don't believe a C450 would lease in your price range, at least not for the first year.

From all the cars you mentioned above, the Porsche is the best drivers' car.

The Ford Mustang GT is a low $30K car, and you get what you pay for.

Go with the 435i as not only does it fit your price range, it also delivers good enough performance.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:41 PM

E class
CLA45 is quicker/faster than S4

http://www.motoringworld.net/cars/co...di-s4/page/0/4

Last edited by Fly by night; 03-08-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
Originally Posted by Fly by night
Maybe in India...

Although the S4 is a heavier car, its performance is more available than the CLA45. Yes, CLA45 is fast and using launch control can be just as quick as S4 in a straight line, however the one reason I didn't get the CLA45 was the brief lag in basically everything it does. Granted, the car I test drove was brand new and a broken in CLA45 might feel better.

The S4 in dynamic mode is far more exciting to drive and feels faster IMO (might be the power delivery).

The S4 is a rear wheel biased 4wd, CLA45 is the opposite.

My C63 however provides me with the right dosage of AMG when needed.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:24 PM

E class
Originally Posted by OC6.3AMG
Maybe in India...

Although the S4 is a heavier car, its performance is more available than the CLA45. Yes, CLA45 is fast and using launch control can be just as quick as S4 in a straight line, however the one reason I didn't get the CLA45 was the brief lag in basically everything it does. Granted, the car I test drove was brand new and a broken in CLA45 might feel better.

The S4 in dynamic mode is far more exciting to drive and feels faster IMO (might be the power delivery).

The S4 is a rear wheel biased 4wd, CLA45 is the opposite.

My C63 however provides me with the right dosage of AMG when needed.
My neighbor has an S4 2013 and can tell you first hand the CLA is faster at stop light to stop light without launch control on. When launch control is on its 2 car lengths faster to 60.... Not close
Also in the 1/4 mile it's quicker as we've had both at the track. Add a tune to the CLA and it's silly fast. I would agree the S4 is more engaging to drive.
I do have faster cars in the garage though

Thx

Last edited by Fly by night; 03-09-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:40 PM

CLA45 AMG
So CLA45 is full second faster than S4 from 0 to 100 kph? How did that happen?

I test drove an S4 a few years back, when the 335i won me over. Now compared to our CLA45, the 335i feels like the S4 against 335i at that time.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Damn you guys paid a lot less for lease...I was quoted $700-800 for CLA 250 here in Canada....