CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Any blown engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA45 AMG '15
Any blown engine?

There are so many tuning products for CLA/A45. Piggyback, re-flash, intake, exhaust, etc.

Have you heard of any blown engine yet? (Not counting the early batch having defective turbos.)

It will be quite surprising if there hasn't been any....
Old 01-19-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
The smart ones would probably not post about it, considering most 45s are still under warranty.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
AMG GT63S
Originally Posted by vaelin
The smart ones would probably not post about it, considering most 45s are still under warranty.
Even if they're under warranty, you think they would have to time to filter those who have it and those who don't..?
Old 01-20-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by peejalino
Even if they're under warranty, you think they would have to time to filter those who have it and those who don't..?
Who do you mean? The dealers? Most of the techs just go by the book.

I remember in my Ford days, the factory would put a dab of paint on some of the bolts of my Cobra's supercharger pulley. So in case someone swapped pulleys and later put the old one back on for warranty, you'd know since the paint was broken. Easy for Ford to put into the shop manual for techs to watch out for. There wasn't any reason for a tech, a mechanic or you to ever be touching the pulley for service.

With piggybacks, it's fairly hidden. You're just swapping some plugs. Of which all are fairly common to unplug for various services.

Given that though, and the fact that there's a mid-cycle refresh that has bumped the ratings to 381hp (and underrated at that), it's pretty likely the motor is able to handle way more than the base 360hp at release. I believe most everyone has been doing bolt-ons, so even the most heavily modded of 45s is right in the mid-400s. I don't know of anyone spraying on top of that either.

I'd say the M133 is proving itself to be rock solid so far for mid-400s. Your guess is as good as any for power output beyond that.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLA 45 AMG
I was driving my 2014 CLA 45 AMG at around 75 mph not even running it hard and it started smoking and squealing (there was no check oil, over heat, or etc lights on or warnings given). Pulled off the road within 10-20 seconds of this starting. Opened the hood and everything looked fine thought A pulley froze up or etc. Had it towed to a local shop (the closes Mercedes dealer is 203 miles away from me) they found nothing wrong with the pulleys or serpentine and noticed the oil was almost empty. Had the car transported to the closest Mercedes dealer which Its currently sitting at the Mercedes dealership in Albuquerque. The week before I called and told them everything that happened and scheduled an appointment for the monday after we dropped it off. When it was dropped off we gave the keys to what I assume was the general manager, owner, or etc since he left in a Porsche 911 after this and also told him what had happened and he saw us tow it in. I called the dealer ship near the end of the day that Monday and asked what they found. they asked for me name and everything and couldn't find me in the system so they connected me to a service guy who said oh the blue cla 45 amg that whines really loud when started? the service personnel that I talked to the week before apparently didn't put my appointment and information in the system. Also the guy it was dropped off to also did not inform anyone that there was no oil in the car... The service tech calls me a couple hours later and tells me that the engine threw a rod and will be 39k to fix!!! the next day I called Mercedes corporate and put in a request for a goodwill repair or for the dealership to fix my car since it is possible they are the ones that blew the engine by starting it and possibly trying to run it into the garage with no oil. Supposed to hear back Monday or Tuesday on what Mercedes will offer if anything.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
What happened to this poor man? Defies belief that the dealer could be so careless