CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Weistec Engineering and the CLA45 (you may wanna avoid them)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weistec Engineering and the CLA45 (you may wanna avoid them)

I thought about making this post for a very long time, and now that I have sold my CLA and moved onto a Nissan GTR I have no reason to give a **** about weistec ever helping me with my car which they basically ruined from the get go.

Ill do my best to explain everything, any questions anyone has ill answer honestly, im not bashing them for some personal reason other then i wasted a ton of money and time dealing with them, and all they did was lie/mislead me constantly.

So when I bought the CLA I basically planned on doing a tune and a down pipe from the get go, and I waited to see who made what and when they went for sale.

I ended up going with a renntech piggyback, the car ran PERFECT with this on the car, ZERO issues, and power gains were great and i had no drive-ability issues in hot or cold weather, and I drove my CLA very hard.

Weistec came out with the downpipe and I figured, lets give this downpipe a shot, i have tricked o2 sensors with spacers and other methods in the past, and weistec said a ton of times the spacer method works with getting around the CEL no cat on the car would cause.

So what im guessing is weistec didn't know how the o2 sensor worked on the CLA, ill fully admit I didn't either, what was happening was the o2 would basically break itself after awhile running with a spacer.

Call/email weistec, we don't know why your cars doing that, no one else has said this is an issue.
(this is a lie, plenty of people had this exact problem, every time I had a problem with my car this is what I was told til very later on)

So 2 broken o2s later I get on the phone with weistec and im getting kinda mad about this, im asking if the downpipe is partially refundable because I cant just keep feeding the car o2s, they aren't cheap. Now they are saying its a problem that can be resolved with their flash that's coming out soon, they push this really hard, legitimately I was looking for technical help and this just turns into you have to run our flash, your car will run perfect you'll have 400 wheel hp/torque and no CEL ever

I honestly didn't wanna go this route, I didn't need this car to be absolutely as fast as it can be, but i figured mise will just do it right.

I had no idea the mistake I was making here, this was basically the last time my car ran right, and kinda ruined the car for me, It is also my fault, I could have always just returned it to stock, but ill explain the situation i got myself into.

So remove the renntech piggypack, sell it, mail my ECU to weistec and get it flashed.

Instantly upon putting the ecu back in the car it doesn't run right. The only time the car ran right is when you ran the car at full throttle like a drag car, Full throttle only, OTHERWISE you would get hesitation throughout the mid range rpm and the car would stutter constantly.
(I know for a fast many other people here had the same exact problem and were lied to exactly the same way I was about to be)

So talking to weistec about this problem im told no one else is having this problem and its just my car and they suggest checking the car for boost leaks and other problems.

I don't wanna get too deep into how much I checked had rechecked tried to fix and even threw several parts at the car (managed to get Mercedes to do the turbo recall that my car obviously did NOT need) NOTHING changed how the car ran, Weistec continually told me no one els is having this problem, we really don't know what to tell you.

After talking to weictec several times they say send us the ECU back well try 'something' I dont know why I trusted them but they wouldn't even tell me what they were changing to try to fix it, they send me the ECU back NOTHING changed, the cars spent a lot of time off the road at this point because of weistec lying to me.
(WE DID THIS TWICE, 2 FLASHES, 2 TIMES SEND BACK AND FORTH, same story both times)

Finally I call weistec AGAIN asking if I can get any kinda refund for my parts and I gotta try returning things back to stock, I get transferred to the calibration guys and I end up talking to someone who instantly comes clean and says a bunch of cars are having the exact same problem and he sounded super pissed that I was being told no one was having this problem but me.
He says they need the ECU again, and I kinda flip out saying I cant keep pulling my car off the road like this, I wanna drive it, not look at it sitting there with no ECU in it.
He says, we have spare CLA45 ecus, well send you one with the new flash and you send us yours when you get the one we send you.
(this is the only nice thing they EVER did for me)

SOO I get the new ecu, send mine to them, and pop the new one in, the car runs right, at this point I forget what the car felt like with the renntech piggy/stock and im just happy it runs.

At this point im done messing with the car, it runs right, no CEL, I drive the car for about 10 months.

Fast forward, I find a used Nissan GTR and jump on it, a week before I actually buy the GTR and sell the benz i get the CLA dynoed.

The car was running exact stock power, it was actually putting down less power then it would have been with the renntech piggyback, ALL they did was kill the boost curve, the car was simply running at low boost all the time and the power in the mid RPM was lower then a stock curve.

So I call weistec, I ask if the ECU is still tunable via bench tuning, if the GTR sale doesnt happen i wanna fix the tune, NOT through them.

Basically they didn't even hide or try to lie there way out of what they did to my car all they wanna say is "the person who did our tunning when yours was done no longer works with us"
They offer a new version of the tune.
I hang up the phone.

So some have had good luck with Weistec, some have had about the experience I have, IF YOU HAVE AN OLDER VERSION OF THE CLA45 TUNE I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU HAVE THE CAR DYNOD

In conclusion Weistec Engineering, go **** yourselves and everyone I talked to at your company go **** yourselves except for the one tuner who actually told me the truth about what was going on.

one side note ill add, and ill prolly think of more to add, there is an older post where I explained what was going on with my car (I was siding with weistec and saying I really didnt think it was the tune) and I got a few private messages from people saying they were having the exact same issues.
also I talked to a major tuner in Europe about this problem and they told me they had several customers complain to them about the weistec tune also (im not going to name them, you can prolly guess who they are)

Again any questions anyone has about all of this, ill do my best to answer, I just encourage you all to be very careful about dealing with weistec, if you have a problem with something they send or do for you they might fully blame you and not offer help until you freak out.

Another thing to add that weistec pissed me off about, I called them and asked them if anyone was having issues with spark plugs fouling with their tune, they didn't really wanna answer me about this, basically they say no, check your car for problems not related to the tune. They say to me 'the stock plugs are fine for this car and there is no reason to change plugs'
I called a second time asking if any of the colder plugs they make for other AMGS fit the CLA cuz I keep fouling plugs, now all of a sudden 'were in the process of making colder spark plugs for this car but we don't have them made yet'
*******s

ALOT happened here and im sure im missing something, if/when i think of it ill add to this post
Old 06-07-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cla 45 amg
Hey thank for this input, do you have any numbers running the Renntech piggy back?
Old 06-07-2016, 12:46 PM

I don't remember the numbers, it was solid though, it was whatever renntech said they were
Old 08-04-2016, 06:44 PM

2015 CLA45 AMG
I had good experience

They tuned my car and haven't had any issues with them. Any time I called they always answered questions. Sucks you had this experience.

Here is my tune, stock vs ECU tune.

Ever since I got my car tuned, I have heard alot of bad reviews about weistec, Im lucky I guess.

T
Old 12-06-2016, 09:37 AM

if you ever get a chance to get a dyno pull somewhere else i would, i dont trust their numbers at all, glad you were lucky enough to have a good experience with them
Old 12-06-2016, 06:17 PM

Sorry for your troubles. I never went the spacer route. I waited until flash was available and did their whole package all at once. Previously had a Rebellion piggyback that I was impressed with. After changing DP, intake, and flash it was night and day. I did have a 3/4 stutter. When I called about they had me send it back. Within the week my car was running again smooth and strong. No plug issues either. I'd be pissed if I had your experience as well. Maybe it was an anomaly, or maybe those of us who haven't had problems are the anomaly. I don't know of anyone close to me with another flashed 45 that I could ask about. I am very pleased with the service I've received and when they release their new turbo I'll be in line for that.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:51 AM

2016 CLA 45 AMG
Not sure if you saw my post, I had major issues with Weistec as well. Still awaiting a refund.....its been months