Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'17 AMG C43
Buying a used CLA45

Hello all,

New to the forum, please bear with me.

I have been looking at getting a new daily driver for quite some time now. I had my heart set on the W204 C63 for years, but due to my geographical location, 4 wheel drive is near mandatory.

I am down to two options: the C450, and the CLA45. I know I've seen this exact thread posted before, but I was hoping some people could give me some more insight.

(FYI I don't think the upcoming C43 is an option, it might be slightly out of my budget).

I went to the dealership and test drove both the C450 and the CLA45. C450 was plenty fast, but also comfortable and very refined as far as the interior goes. However, it was pretty quiet, and it looked like any other C-class from the outside, apart from some very minor cues. Just seemed very tame overall, not nearly as crazy as the true AMG.

The CLA45 was a great drive, sounded great, and looked great, and the ride was very manageable. The only thing that is making me hesitate, is when I went to the guy responsible for finding used cars, he mentioned that a CLA45 with more than ~16,000 miles is not a good buy. I initially mentioned 40,000 miles, since that is barely anything for cars these days, but he said it was way too much for a CLA45.

This is concerning. Will the car become a maintenance nightmare once I get into 30-40,000 miles? Like I mentioned, this is going to be my daily driver with a mix of city and highway.

I am aware of the turbo recall, I'd most likely get a 2015 anyway.

I would really appreciate any insight from owners who have had their CLA45 for a decent amount of time. What can I come to expect from this car, and is what the dealer said true, would I be an idiot to get a car with ~30-40,000 miles on it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300
I know i'm not providing you any insight as you might be looking for, but I'm kinda in the same boat as you, torn between the 3, a 2014 C63, CLA45 and the C450. I know the C63 is a beast, but probably too much for a DD and where I live, I also need AWD.

Where the CLA45 bumpy and not as smooth as the C450? I know, I should go test it out myself, but I don't want to go now as I still have a couple of months to go before I pull the trigger.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:22 PM

'17 AMG C43
Originally Posted by Socio
I know i'm not providing you any insight as you might be looking for, but I'm kinda in the same boat as you, torn between the 3, a 2014 C63, CLA45 and the C450. I know the C63 is a beast, but probably too much for a DD and where I live, I also need AWD.

Where the CLA45 bumpy and not as smooth as the C450? I know, I should go test it out myself, but I don't want to go now as I still have a couple of months to go before I pull the trigger.
I see you're in DC! I'm located in Maryland myself, wish we had some more stable weather patterns so the C63 was an option.

I drove the C450 in Sport Plus Mode, and I honestly don't think there was that much more difference in stiffness and ride quality compared to the CLA45. If anything, it just felt more isolated from the road / the excitement. Interior quality was obviously much higher, but I really don't think the CLA45's interior was bad at all, in fact very sporty. I had the chance to drive an edition 1, and there was red accents and carbon fiber everywhere, great looking car.

I have a couple issues with the C450:

1) As far as looks go, it really isn't much more distinct compared to a regular C300, unless you really go out of your way to get proper wheels, lip spoiler, etc.

2) I drive a 2010 E350, and the C450 felt very similar, but with slightly more power. It was fast, but really it felt like a boat / luxury car with some extra power. The CLA45 felt like a nimble sports car in comparison, plus the sound the CLA makes is much more noticeable, especially on shifting.

3) I've heard about people having various problems with the C450, being electrical, transmission, etc. Plus, the model is about to be killed off for the C43. On top of all that, it's not even a "True AMG" compared to the CLA45.

Hopefully I gave you some good insight.

...And hopefully some CLA45 owners will comment on my post and give me some insight as well
Old 08-16-2016, 12:21 AM

8S - TTRS
I got a CLA45 off of a lease transfer from a friend. It's been amazing but to be honest... 2014s suck. 15+ are a lot better and 17's got a facelift!

It's a beasty little car, 2L 4 banger 381hp (400+ after tuning). Maintenance is not expensive. couple hundred bucks for either A or B. Make sure you have warranty and comes with maintenance records from Mercedes. Engine and Turbo is $60k if you blow it. Which I doubt but warranty will cover it if it does.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:31 AM

'17 AMG C43
Originally Posted by Jayson_Bourne
I got a CLA45 off of a lease transfer from a friend. It's been amazing but to be honest... 2014s suck. 15+ are a lot better and 17's got a facelift!

It's a beasty little car, 2L 4 banger 381hp (400+ after tuning). Maintenance is not expensive. couple hundred bucks for either A or B. Make sure you have warranty and comes with maintenance records from Mercedes. Engine and Turbo is $60k if you blow it. Which I doubt but warranty will cover it if it does.
Can you elaborate on why 2014s suck? Like I said, I'd probably get a '15, but just in case I find a '14 in good condition / good specs, what's bad about it other than the Turbo recall?

Also, have there been any reported blown engines / turbos, aside from that initial recall? I've talked to some people in the know and they say Mercedes is standing by this engine, no plans for a replacement anytime soon.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:47 AM

8S - TTRS
Originally Posted by djalali59
Can you elaborate on why 2014s suck? Like I said, I'd probably get a '15, but just in case I find a '14 in good condition / good specs, what's bad about it other than the Turbo recall?

Also, have there been any reported blown engines / turbos, aside from that initial recall? I've talked to some people in the know and they say Mercedes is standing by this engine, no plans for a replacement anytime soon.
2014 steering wheel/airbag is flat, doesnt have dynamic mode, also suspension cant be changed and rear view camera is not as clear as 15/16s. I got one of the FIRST CLA45 in Canada, my shifter is a dongle not the AMG embossed one. No performance exhaust, doesnt sound loud enough so I want a DP. I honestly want the 17 CLA more the more I look at it...

Well, I got mine 2 months ago, so far so good. I am not aware of the recall. From what I heard, they fully believe in this engine as well, I'm planning to get it tuned at EuroCharged, aiming for 410wtq.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
2014 steering wheel/airbag is flat, doesnt have dynamic mode, also suspension cant be changed and rear view camera is not as clear as 15/16s. I got one of the FIRST CLA45 in Canada, my shifter is a dongle not the AMG embossed one. No performance exhaust, doesnt sound loud enough so I want a DP. I honestly want the 17 CLA more the more I look at it...

Well, I got mine 2 months ago, so far so good. I am not aware of the recall. From what I heard, they fully believe in this engine as well, I'm planning to get it tuned at EuroCharged, aiming for 410wtq.
wow your 100% wrong about the 14's .
I have 2 1/2 years with my car have had zero problems.
drove a 16 version for me not worth moving on to. ill wait for 2019 model.
will be much more power and improvement.
my has the AMG imposed on the shifter.
my car sounds as loud as the 16 .
the rear view camera is as good as the 16.
but one thing to remember is my 45 is fully loaded with options and has recaro's
I freaking love this car I'm the original owner.
to op look for a low mileage loaded 45 AMG
Old 08-16-2016, 03:06 PM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
2014 steering wheel/airbag is flat, doesnt have dynamic mode, also suspension cant be changed and rear view camera is not as clear as 15/16s. I got one of the FIRST CLA45 in Canada, my shifter is a dongle not the AMG embossed one. No performance exhaust, doesnt sound loud enough so I want a DP. I honestly want the 17 CLA more the more I look at it... Well, I got mine 2 months ago, so far so good. I am not aware of the recall. From what I heard, they fully believe in this engine as well, I'm planning to get it tuned at EuroCharged, aiming for 410wtq.
I had a 14 and now have a 15 and there isn't much difference between the 2. 15 has the new steering wheel design, bigger Nav screen and updated center stack buttons. 15's don't have adjustable suspension (at least not in US). I'm debating on getting a 17 or a Z06. Of course the Z06 is a completely different animal and will crush the 45 at half throttle! That said I enjoy my CLA45 so much and I know it sounds crazy but it's gonna be a tough decision.

Last edited by bmoney12; 08-16-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:38 PM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
/////PRO
My .02 as a C63 owner, but a close friend with a CLA45 AMG and another with C450 that I have experiences driving and riding in.........

2 trains of thought:

If you are after a car that you intend to autocross or track from time to time, get the CLA45 AMG, if not planning on that, then 100% get the 450.....that simple in my book. 450 a much better "cruiser", CLA45 a better track car.

However......if looking to get your foot into the "AMG door", the CLA45 would be the only option, if that type of thing is of no care, again, the 450 wins.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300
I see you're in DC! I'm located in Maryland myself, wish we had some more stable weather patterns so the C63 was an option.

I drove the C450 in Sport Plus Mode, and I honestly don't think there was that much more difference in stiffness and ride quality compared to the CLA45. If anything, it just felt more isolated from the road / the excitement. Interior quality was obviously much higher, but I really don't think the CLA45's interior was bad at all, in fact very sporty. I had the chance to drive an edition 1, and there was red accents and carbon fiber everywhere, great looking car.

I have a couple issues with the C450:

1) As far as looks go, it really isn't much more distinct compared to a regular C300, unless you really go out of your way to get proper wheels, lip spoiler, etc.

2) I drive a 2010 E350, and the C450 felt very similar, but with slightly more power. It was fast, but really it felt like a boat / luxury car with some extra power. The CLA45 felt like a nimble sports car in comparison, plus the sound the CLA makes is much more noticeable, especially on shifting.

3) I've heard about people having various problems with the C450, being electrical, transmission, etc. Plus, the model is about to be killed off for the C43. On top of all that, it's not even a "True AMG" compared to the CLA45.

Hopefully I gave you some good insight.

...And hopefully some CLA45 owners will comment on my post and give me some insight as well
Yeah, DMV all day everyday
Thank you for the feedback, I also started to look into the BMW 340i with xdrive, same with the Audi S4, geezzz, there's so many to choose in that segment. I still have some time to make up my mind, but is fun building up the excitement.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:01 PM

'17 AMG C43
Originally Posted by dlefty
My .02 as a C63 owner, but a close friend with a CLA45 AMG and another with C450 that I have experiences driving and riding in.........

2 trains of thought:

If you are after a car that you intend to autocross or track from time to time, get the CLA45 AMG, if not planning on that, then 100% get the 450.....that simple in my book. 450 a much better "cruiser", CLA45 a better track car.

However......if looking to get your foot into the "AMG door", the CLA45 would be the only option, if that type of thing is of no care, again, the 450 wins.
I appreciate the input. I've been talking to my dealer and he said the AMG C43 is slowly trickling out...if I stretch my budget just a bit that could be the one.

The more I think about it, when I test drove the 450 and the 45 back to back, the 450 felt more powerful from the get go, you felt more of a kick, while the 45 seemed like it needed some revs before you felt any pulling power. Plus one of the biggest faults I have with the 45 is if I sit in the back, my head touches the roof. I'm only 5'9", so I find this unacceptable.

The only thing I don't like about the 450 is the lack of sound compared to the insanity coming from the 45. Some people have said the more you drive it, the louder it gets, and I test drove a brand new one so I really don't know. If the AMG C43 can fill that gap with the performance exhaust option, then I think we'd have a winner.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45 AMG 2016
Hi djalali59, I'm aiming for the same type of cars as you for my next one. I also need a AWD car for the tough winter in Quebec. A car that have me interested also is the bmw m235i/m240i xdrive. I have not test drive one yet but many review tend to say it's awesome to drive + they have quite a decent sound. Have you tried one yet?

It could be a alternative to the cla45 or the c450.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:54 PM

'17 AMG C43
Thank you for the feedback, I also started to look into the BMW 340i with xdrive, same with the Audi S4, geezzz, there's so many to choose in that segment. I still have some time to make up my mind, but is fun building up the excitement.
No problem! To be honest I have looked at the S4, but the interior just doesn't come close to the Benzs, and the exterior is just so simple looking, like its a rebadged VW.

I've had bad experiences with BMWs in the past.

Having said that, I was considering a used 650xi gran coupe because of the V8 and the sexy exterior, but the interior is again, no where close to the C class. Kinda shocking when you consider the original MSRP for that car was near / over $100k

I really don't think anything can hold a candle to Mercedes at the moment. Their design language is quite a few steps ahead in my opinion.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:57 PM

'17 AMG C43
Originally Posted by toobrokeforC63
Hi djalali59, I'm aiming for the same type of cars as you for my next one. I also need a AWD car for the tough winter in Quebec. A car that have me interested also is the bmw m235i/m240i xdrive. I have not test drive one yet but many review tend to say it's awesome to drive + they have quite a decent sound. Have you tried one yet?

My friend has an M235i, and while initially I thought it looked great, it's just too small for my liking.

The front looks awesome, probably one of the best front ends BMW has designed over the past few years, but the side profile / back of the car don't appeal to me. The side makes it look like someone squeezed it together and it ended abruptly, and the back just doesn't make sense with the front.

On top of that I really need a sedan for practicality. I test drove a C63 coupe, which is larger than the M235i, but even the C63 did not have enough rear room for my liking.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:34 AM

8S - TTRS
NOOO NO BMW! lol The S3 is quite fast as well! It's got the same AWD system as CLA45 (If I'm not mistaken, mostly FWD and can send up to 50% of the power to the rear). Also the RS3 is coming out!! If you can wait, try to get your hands on a RS3! That baby will hold it's value!

I appreciate the input. I've been talking to my dealer and he said the AMG C43 is slowly trickling out...if I stretch my budget just a bit that could be the one.

The more I think about it, when I test drove the 450 and the 45 back to back, the 450 felt more powerful from the get go, you felt more of a kick, while the 45 seemed like it needed some revs before you felt any pulling power. Plus one of the biggest faults I have with the 45 is if I sit in the back, my head touches the roof. I'm only 5'9", so I find this unacceptable.

The only thing I don't like about the 450 is the lack of sound compared to the insanity coming from the 45. Some people have said the more you drive it, the louder it gets, and I test drove a brand new one so I really don't know. If the AMG C43 can fill that gap with the performance exhaust option, then I think we'd have a winner.
Yes, I got stuck in the back seat of my friend's CLA250, I was cramped in there, cant sit straight (I'm 6"2) but for some reason, I can sit straight in the 45... maybe the seats are different.
I do think the C43 will fill your gap as it'll be a bigger engine turbo'd and 4 door coupe?

Originally Posted by toobrokeforC63

That's 2-door-coupe, not as practical as a small 4-door-coupe lol
I drove a friend's M2 home once, it was pretty small. Almost 0 leg space for the rear passenger, kinda useless as my other car (R35).

Honestly OP, it ALL comes down to what you need/want in your life.
-BRAND
-performance
-practicality
-drive system (if you need AWD in your region)

I'm sure if everything fits your needs/wants then a Ferrari 488 would suit you.