CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Warped brakes on the track again -Time for brake cooling?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA45 AMG (2017)
Warped brakes on the track again -Time for brake cooling?

Hello everyone,

For the second time this summer I have warped my front rotors on the track. Did the proper cool down laps after each 20 minute lapping session with no braking and even left my car in neutral with no hand brake for 15 minutes after each track session and still ended up with warped brake rotors.

I'm running stock brakes and pads with ATE race brake fluid.

I've been told that two changes I can make to avoid this in the future would be to swap to track pads and/or to set up some brake cooling ducts to the front brakes.

Has anyone had similar issues? What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cla45mtl
Hello everyone,

For the second time this summer I have warped my front rotors on the track. Did the proper cool down laps after each 20 minute lapping session with no braking and even left my car in neutral with no hand brake for 15 minutes after each track session and still ended up with warped brake rotors.

I'm running stock brakes and pads with ATE race brake fluid.

I've been told that two changes I can make to avoid this in the future would be to swap to track pads and/or to set up some brake cooling ducts to the front brakes.

Has anyone had similar issues? What do you guys think?

Thanks
It is likely that you need to step up to some more track-oriented brake pads, have you had the brake discs measured to verify that they are physically warped or is it possible you're feeling uneven pad deposits on the surface of the rotor? These will cause vibration under braking that is often mis-diagnosed as a warped or bent rotor. I could offer you our brake rotor upgrade which has seen a lot of track abuse in our own testing but it sounds like your main issue is probably going to be getting the stock pads too hot and causing them to leave deposits on the rotors. We haven't done a whole lot of testing of various pad compounds on the CLAs, we did most of our track testing on OEM pads because we wanted to be sure our rotors would be a good match, so I don't have any specific recommendations to give you.

Brake cooling ducts will always help, too.