Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 CLA45 AMG
Coding a second ECU for my CLA45

(X-posted to mercedescla.org)

Guys,

I’m getting the itch to get an ECU tune for my ‘18 CLA45, but I’m thinking it would make sense to pick up a spare ECU to modify, and keep my original for trips to the dealer. The thing is, I understand that a different ECU, even with the same part number, needs to be coded to your vehicle in order to work, and only an M-B dealer can do this.

My question is, do dealers readily do this? It’s like saying, “I intend to mod my car.” Has anyone done this? Did the dealer give you a rough time or just void your warrantee? How did you frame the request?

I’m a big boy and I’ve been modding turbo cars for 18 years, and I understand that you have to be prepared to suck up and operate out-of-warrantee, but if possible, I’d like to be able to quickly revert to stock for fairly obvious reasons.

I’d appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Last edited by Acciardi; 08-02-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 08-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You gotta know the terminology before you do something as stupid as you want to do--------first it's called flashing a module, second the new and not used ECU must be the same part number or you will be back whining my new toy wont start, third if you purchase a same part number used, the module first has to be virginized and then flashed with your engines cbf file,forth you need someone with the latest version of Xentry and applicable files to do the flashing----don't use your girlfriends brother.
The following users liked this post:
Acciardi (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 08:11 PM

2018 CLA45 AMG
Yeah, I’ve spent the afternoon convincing myself that I know nearly nothing about how M-B does this. When I was modding my B5 S4 I had a box of ECUs that all just worked. The good news is that I found a coder in the NY area who can do this kind of work, and I’ll be calling him in the AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA 45
Please keep us posted with research, i do want to figure out how to get 2nd ecu for my 2015 gla to mess with.
i am out of waranny so i dont care.
Saeed
Old 08-03-2018, 01:45 PM

2018 CLA45 AMG
I spoke with Alex at www.autophdny.com this morning, who seems to operate a legitimate repair facility. He explained that MB maintains a database of every car's VIN and which ECU is associated with it (excuse me if that's not the best term - Alex is Russian and has a heavy accent). When a certified shop or dealer replaces an ECU, the old unit's serial number is swapped with the replacement ECU's serial number, then a software 'key' is generated that allows only that ECU to work with that VIN number. This new combination is stored on an MB server in Stuttgart, Germany. He also said that there was no way to do this 'offline'; i.e., not connected to the MB server. So there's no way to make a 'spare' ECU according to him.

I also spoke with Arthur from www.luxeauto.net who seems to know much more about this issue. He claims that if you send him both ECUs, he can 'virginize' the spare, then 'clone' your ECU over to it. He uses some special software tools that the MB dealerships do not have access to, but to perform this trickery, he needs both ECUs at the same time, and he needs to open them both up. For me, that's not a risk I'm willing to take, so for now I'm going to hang back until someone figures out a way to clone an ECU through the OBDII port.

Please forgive me if my use of the applicable terminology is less than 100% perfect. First, I've been researching this for one entire day while also having a life. Second, I'm a mechanical engineer by training and know absolutely nothing - even less than nothing - about firmware.

Last edited by Acciardi; 08-03-2018 at 02:11 PM.
caug (08-04-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
All of the direct injected ecu's have to be opened up in order to tune them. Any decent tuner has done this dozens of times, not sure why you're scared of that? direct injection has been on mb's since 2011 and no one has figured out how to flash them from the obd port. i wouldnt hold your breathe.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:23 PM

2018 CLA45 AMG
I’m not concerned about the effectiveness of a tune or even the reliability of a tuned car; I’ve had many tuned turbo cars. I am concerned about losing my warranty. In perusing the board, I’m getting the sense that MB will void your warranty at the drop of a hat. And I’m aware of the Magnussen-Moss act, but if the dealer decides to be dicks, you’ll have to get a lawyer.

When I was working full time, I never worried about it, but I’m retired now, and I’m living on a small fraction of what I used to make, so a $5k or $10k repair bill would hurt.

Lastly, I’ve become aware of these devices that remap the throttle sensitivity, and that seems like it would solve my problem. It’s not the lack of power, but the throttle lag that’s annoying. I live in a fairly urban area, and it’s almost impossible to pull off a quick sprint without getting pulled over.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA 45
Originally Posted by Acciardi
I’m not concerned about the effectiveness of a tune or even the reliability of a tuned car; I’ve had many tuned turbo cars. I am concerned about losing my warranty. In perusing the board, I’m getting the sense that MB will void your warranty at the drop of a hat. And I’m aware of the Magnussen-Moss act, but if the dealer decides to be dicks, you’ll have to get a lawyer.

When I was working full time, I never worried about it, but I’m retired now, and I’m living on a small fraction of what I used to make, so a $5k or $10k repair bill would hurt.

Lastly, I’ve become aware of these devices that remap the throttle sensitivity, and that seems like it would solve my problem. It’s not the lack of power, but the throttle lag that’s annoying. I live in a fairly urban area, and it’s almost impossible to pull off a quick sprint without getting pulled over.
You can clone your ECU. I know cuz I have done it. I am running my tune on my clone ECU

Yes, you need to open it up due to the anti-tune mechanism. You need to access 2 pts on the circuit board to clone the EPROM(There are tools to do this so you need not worry of damaging the ECU).

Thus if there is any sticker that prevent you from opening it, this path is not for you.

Last edited by weesy; 08-23-2018 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:56 AM

CLA 45
Originally Posted by Plutoe
You gotta know the terminology before you do something as stupid as you want to do--------first it's called flashing a module, second the new and not used ECU must be the same part number or you will be back whining my new toy wont start, third if you purchase a same part number used, the module first has to be virginized and then flashed with your engines cbf file,forth you need someone with the latest version of Xentry and applicable files to do the flashing----don't use your girlfriends brother.
Wow. There is much to learn. For you.

Mine is a USED ecu........

Last edited by weesy; 08-23-2018 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:29 PM

2018 CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by weesy
You can clone your ECU. I know cuz I have done it. I am running my tune on my clone ECU

Yes, you need to open it up due to the anti-tune mechanism. You need to access 2 pts on the circuit board to clone the EPROM(There are tools to do this so you need not worry of damaging the ECU).

Thus if there is any sticker that prevent you from opening it, this path is not for you.
I've removed my ECU to inspect it, and I didn't see any stickers that would indicate tampering. This is on an '18 model; can't say the same for other years.

I'm still bouncing this idea around, but I do appreciate your input. I've heard directly from a few other knowledgeable people who've said it's definitely doable, including installing the tuned files on the donor ECU. Eurocharged will clone a spare ECU for you for $400 in addition to the tune. It's just really difficult finding a good time when I can go without the car for a few days. This is currently my only ride.

Unless there's a screw hidden under those labels, there do not seem to be any anti-tampering devices.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:37 AM

CLA 45
No hidden screws. However, the edge is sealed with silicon and thus u need experience ppl to seal it back properly. PM me your email. I sent u some pictures.
Acciardi (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 07:25 AM

2018 CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by weesy
No hidden screws. However, the edge is sealed with silicon and thus u need experience ppl to seal it back properly. PM me your email. I sent u some pictures.
Ah, very clever. I’m glad I didn’t open the ECU to look around inside.

i PM’ed my email to you,

thanks,

Ed