CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

CLA 45 weired sound turning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cla 45
CLA 45 weired sound turning

Hi all,this is my 1st post,but i have a problem that annoys me.I recently bought an used Cla 45(2015 edition) from Germany(I am from.Romania) and discovered a problem with it.When i almost full turn the wheel left/right while i am parking or taking a tight turn at low speed(1-10 km/h) i hear a klonk sound that scares me.I look the car to local Mercedes dealer today,and they told me this happens to al Cla 45 ,because i have summer tyres and outside is low(0 celsiusl),but im not sure is that.Did anyone experienced this?Should i be worried???I apreciate any answer!!
Old 11-26-2018, 03:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
hello and congratulations on the car !
if your sound occurs on or near full lock at low speeds hopefully you are feeling the front tyres skipping a bit too. if that is the case then this is very normal . an AWD car will generally skip more than a rwd car with both on performance tyres. this is simply a function of the angle the front tyres are moving due to one tyre having a more acute turning arc than the other. on a full lock left turn for example, the front left wheel is moving a shorter distance than the right one. on non performance wheels the front wheels would be more likely to squeak as they lose grip . on performance tyres , they don't squeak and slide but instead almost thump and skip. This is because they generally have a stiffer side wall and won't flex like non performance tyres.

so it is likely to be merely physics at play and this will feel worse and worse in colder climates. likely nothing to worry about if that is the only instance you are experiencing this