Picking up a 2014 CLA45 - A Question Before Purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55
Picking up a 2014 CLA45 - A Question Before Purchase

Hi there,

I'm looking at purchasing a CLA45 from a used car dealership. I was wondering if you guys could tell me why Mercedes would pass up on the vehicle and sell it to a used car lot. It's a lease return, highly optioned with no accidents and 52,000km.

I called Mercedes and they said that the maintenance is up to date and it requires a Service A in a couple months, but won't divulge any other details due to their policy. They also don't do PPI for vehicles any longer. When I test drove it, it also would not let me race start, so I believe it has been taken for a few joy rides recently, but the dealer denies that.

So I'm just wondering what the reason is that Mercedes would pass up a vehicle like this.. Is it too old for them to make it a Certified Pre-Owned? Or is there another reason they would pass up on it?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-29-2019, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Well it could be the color? Options or lack of. Maybe it sat too long? Maybe it was a Buy Back or Lemon car? Maybe it was hit? Maybe MB just could not sell it? Maybe it was just traded in on something the owner liked more? How is the condition? Is it beat up inside and out?

Who knows really! Get a PPI before buying. The dealer or shop will tell you what is wrong if there is any. Get a carfax report. If the dealer wont let you get a PPI then they are hiding something and you should run.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 PM

2003 E55
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Well it could be the color? Options or lack of. Maybe it sat too long? Maybe it was a Buy Back or Lemon car? Maybe it was hit? Maybe MB just could not sell it? Maybe it was just traded in on something the owner liked more? How is the condition? Is it beat up inside and out?

Who knows really! Get a PPI before buying. The dealer or shop will tell you what is wrong if there is any. Get a carfax report. If the dealer wont let you get a PPI then they are hiding something and you should run.
Thanks for the reply. It's a very clean car inside and out, the dealer is letting me take it for a PPI and there are no accidents on the vehicle. There is a glass claim on it for $1900, not sure if that's higher than it should be or not. Like I said, it's a very highly optioned car, only thing it doesn't have are the performance seats so I'm confused why Mercedes wouldn't take it for certified pre owned.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:26 PM

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
you do know there is NO KEYLESS GO on 2014, right?
i wouldnt buy a car without it. i hooked my keys in my jean. no need to press remote to open doors or use key to start the engine.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 CLA 45, 2013 GLK 350
2014s are known for transmissions issues. Usually required full transmission replacements. Please get extended warranty or stay far away...
Old 01-29-2019, 07:24 PM

2003 E55
Originally Posted by Van Ha Nguyen
2014s are known for transmissions issues. Usually required full transmission replacements. Please get extended warranty or stay far away...
I didn't know about this. Are 2015 MY fine then? Or did they fix it with the 2016 updated transmission?